James Florence

  • usstweedy
    Message 1 of 4 , May 31 6:39 AM
      Marie

      I don't believe the James Florence B: 1-15-1800 in Auchterless is the
      one you are looking for. The LDS, IGI gives his parents as James
      Florence and Ann Cruickshank. It also list his spouse as Margaret
      Adams. However there are two other James Florences listed in the IGI.
      James Florence B: 7-11-1802, Nonquhitter and James Florence B: 2-13-
      1803, Rayne. Also the IGI does not list a marriage between Florence
      and Moir. Of course this does not mean they were not married, as many
      marriages were not recorded.
      My connection to the Florence family is thru a marriage of Mary
      Florence to Alexander Allan 2-17-1852. Do you have any information on
      the other children of Florence and Falconer.

      Regards
      Jim Allan
    • Marie
      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 1, 2003
        Hi Jim,

        Thank you for your email concerning James Florence and his wife
        Mary Falconer.

        Marriage date was 14/10/1826 Peterhead - the children all in
        born in Peterhead were
        James 4/3/1827 John 4/3/1829 Mary 9/1/1831 George 7/12/1834
        Alexander Stevenson 21/5/1837 William 8/8/1839

        In the 1841 census the family had Alexander Florence staying with them
        age 24 and I am sure this is my gtgtgrandfather. I was given the information from the death Index from Peterhead that James died in
        1856 and his parents were James Florence and mother was Isabella maiden name was Moir. I am hoping to have found the family I have been looking for.

        As you mentioned the IGI shows a James on the correct year 1800 but wrong parents and nothing else shows up for either James or Isabella Moir. So near and yet so far.

        I have found the list owner to be a great authority on the folk living in
        Peterhead and sometime ago he passed on the information above to me.
        Unfortunately I have just been doing bits and pieces of genealogy since 1999 at that time we thought my husband had been cleared from cancer only to have it turn up again so with visits to hospital for operations and treatment everything has become a little mixed up. He has won the battle once more so I am throwing myself into my history while I can.

        I guess because James was born in Auchterless does not mean his parents were from there but moved there after their marriage? So will have to keep searching more areas of Scotland.

        I am happy to share what I have and would be grateful for any bits and pieces you may find. As you are interested in Mary I guess we hang upon the same family tree just different twigs.

        Cheers for now and look forward to hearing from you

        Marie
        minbalup@...

      • Angela Patterson
        Message 3 of 4 , Jun 2, 2003
          Hi Marie and Jim,
          I have been following your postings with interest because I also have a
          FLORENCE ancestor who is proving very difficult to trace.
          James FLORENCE was born in approximately 1823 (according to 1851 census when
          he was living in Peterhead.) James FLORENCE married Mary SANGSTER in 1853.
          They had a daughter, Mary Ann, in 1850, before the marriage who does not
          show up in the IGI, and Jemima FLORENCE born 1853 who also does not appear
          in the IGI.
          Records of both Mary Ann's and Jemima's christenings were found in church
          records by Mary Ann's daughter when she visited Peterhead in the 1930's. I
          have a copy of her letter in which she transcribes the records. So the IGI
          is not complete by any means.
          I have been recording in a database every mention of a FLORENCE or SANGSTER
          in Aberdeen that I find but I have not been able to trace either James' or
          Mary Ann's families. I have been able to eliminate many James FLORENCEs
          though.
          Both James and Mary died in Australia and unfortunately their parents are
          unknown on their death certificates.

          In my efforts to eliminate different FLORENCE families I have purchased some
          extracts from the Scottish Registry and I have an extract of the death of
          James FLORENCE son of

          > Thank you for your email concerning James Florence and his wife
          > Mary Falconer.
          >
          > Marriage date was 14/10/1826 Peterhead - the children all in
          > born in Peterhead were
          > James 4/3/1827 John 4/3/1829 Mary 9/1/1831 George 7/12/1834
          > Alexander Stevenson 21/5/1837 William 8/8/1839
          >
          > In the 1841 census the family had Alexander Florence staying with them
          > age 24 and I am sure this is my gtgtgrandfather. I was given the
          information from the death Index from Peterhead that James died in
          > 1856 and his parents were James Florence and mother was Isabella maiden
          name was Moir. I am hoping to have found the family I have been looking
          for.

          > As you mentioned the IGI shows a James on the correct year 1800 but wrong
          parents and nothing else shows up for either James or Isabella Moir. So
          near and yet so far.

          > I have found the list owner to be a great authority on the folk living in
          > Peterhead and sometime ago he passed on the information above to me.
          > Unfortunately I have just been doing bits and pieces of genealogy since
          1999 at that time we thought my husband had been cleared from cancer only to
          have it turn up again so with visits to hospital for operations and
          treatment everything has become a little mixed up. He has won the battle
          once more so I am throwing myself into my history while I can.

          > I guess because James was born in Auchterless does not mean his parents
          were from there but moved there after their marriage? So will have to keep
          searching more areas of Scotland.

          > I am happy to share what I have and would be grateful for any bits and
          pieces you may find. As you are interested in Mary I guess we hang upon
          the same family tree just different twigs.

          > Cheers for now and look forward to hearing from you
          >
          > Marie
          > minbalup@...

        • Angela Patterson