Re: [Peterhead] POLAR STAR whaling ship

  • CCI
    Message 1 of 6 , May 25, 2003
      Hi Betty,
      James Davidson's wife was Agnes Forrest.
      I'm on Ancestry.com at the moment and found one Deveril.

      28-8-1831
      William Deveril seaman in Peterhead a son William.
      witnesses, William Deveril and John Catto

      Regards,
      Catherine

    • CCI
      Message 2 of 6 , May 25, 2003
        Hi George,
        Not that I know of, James's father did'nt have a brother and I have'nt seen a Richard Davidson so far in the family tree.

        Best wishes,
        Catherine

      • george4705@aol.com
        Message 3 of 6 , May 26, 2003
          In a message dated 05/26/2003 10:38:07 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
          cci@... writes:

          > Hi group, how are you.
          >
          > The Polar Star was a Peterhead build whaling ship in 1857.
          > In 1892-3 she and another three ships went on the Dundee (Antarctic) Whaling
          > Expedition to the Falkland Islands and the Antarctic to see if there was an
          > industry for the Right whales.
          >
          > The captain of the Polar Star was my great grandfather, Peterhead born James
          > Davidson.
          >
          > Other Peterhead crew members were;
          > Robert Walker age 46, Mate
          > John Taylor age 21, Steward
          > John M. Williams age 41, 1st harpooner
          > Cohn Ironside age 34, Carp & Harp
          >
          > The Captain of another of the four ships on the expedition was Robert
          > Davidson sailing on the 'Diana'.
          > I also have sketch drawings of James and Robert Davidson.
          >
          > I don't have individual info on the men only the expedition.
          > If anyone is interested especially decendents of the above men, I'm willing
          > to share.
          >
          > Best wishes,
          > Catherine

          Hi Catherine, I noticed that a Richard Davidson was listed as an apprentice
          on the Whaleship "Active" (Captian David Gray) on Bounty payment record 10
          October 1820. Does he belong to you?
          george

        • Dr. Elizabeth B. Holmes
          Message 4 of 6 , May 26, 2003
            > The captain of the Polar Star was my great grandfather, Peterhead born James Davidson.

            Hi Catherine, Who was James Davidson's wife?
            I have a James Davidson, married to Barbara Gordon Diverall in 1890 in
            Peterhead. Barbara was b. July 17 1865 to William Gordon Diverall &
            Christian Johnson. Betty
          • Dr. Elizabeth B. Holmes
            Message 5 of 6 , May 27, 2003
              CCI wrote:

              > Hi Betty,
              > James Davidson's wife was Agnes Forrest.
              > I'm on Ancestry.com at the moment and found one Deveril.
              >
              > 28-8-1831
              > William Deveril seaman in Peterhead a son William.
              > witnesses, William Deveril and John Catto
              >
              > Regards,
              > Catherine

              Thank you very much Catherine. Betty.