Cordiner

  • Jim Mann Taylor
    Message 1 of 7 , Dec 30, 1998
      Have just been contacted by someone with a possible family connection. It
      concerns an Alexander Wilson Cordiner which might be Alexander Cordiner
      born 27 Aug 1836 to Alexander Cordiner and Isabella Wilson. Sounds very
      likely with a Wilson mother and being the first born. Does anyone have
      access to his birth cert.? Apparently he died on November 8, 1908 in Barre,
      Vermont.

      Jim Mann Taylor
      United Kingdom
      e-mail: j.mann.taylor@...
      Surname interests: Taylor, Garden, Ingram, Mitchell, Mearns, Logan,
      Cordiner (all in Aberdeenshire, Scotland) with Lugton in Berwickshire and
      Mann in Norfolk, England.
      Aberdeenshire families (5500 individuals and 800 surnames)
      http://www.j.mann.taylor.clara.co.uk/family.htm
      Message 2 of 7 , Dec 31, 1998
        Jim Mann Taylor wrote:

        > Have just been contacted by someone with a possible family connection. It
        > concerns an Alexander Wilson Cordiner which might be Alexander Cordiner
        > born 27 Aug 1836 to Alexander Cordiner and Isabella Wilson. Sounds very
        > likely with a Wilson mother and being the first born. Does anyone have
        > access to his birth cert.? Apparently he died on November 8, 1908 in Barre,
        > Vermont.

        I've only looked at the index, but this date is for a William son of
        William Cordiner. See message to Becchi.

        Message 3 of 7 , Dec 31, 1998
          Niles & Becchi wrote:

          > I'm the person that Jim Mann Taylor is talking about. I went ahead and
          > subscribed to the list but the Alexander Cordiner I'm talking about, I
          > think Jim gave the wrong birthdate. It's May 7, 1850, the date Jim gave is
          > for Alexander's older brother William. Also Alexander married a Susan
          > Bruce Scott born 1854 in Glasgow (I think.) Her parents were Gordon Scott
          > and Susan Bruce. Alexander and Susan had several children prior to moving
          > to England, on to Canada and then on to Barre, Vermont, U. S. A. where they
          > had their last child, my grandmother Dorothy Florence Cordiner on February
          > 9, 1897

          Firstly welcome to the list. I found the same date born 30/4/1850,
          baptised 7/5/1850 Alexander Wilson Cordiner, parents William Cordiner
          and Isabella Wilson. This is from the index, but if you want, I can look
          at the full information from the Peterhead OPR.

          Do you have Alexander in the 1851 Census? It looks like they were
          living in Roanheads.

          Regards, Wade.
        • Niles & Becchi
          Message 4 of 7 , Jan 1, 1999
            This makes a little more sense, because my mother had Alexander's birthday
            listed as April 30th and Jim Mann Taylor had it listed as May 7th but it
            now does appear to be the same person with one being the birthdate and one
            the baptismal date. Can you get a copy of the birth certificate?

            Becchi Oesterle

            ----------
            > From: Wade Buchan <wsb@...>
            > To: Peterhead@onelist.com
            > Subject: [Peterhead] Re: Cordiner
            > Date: Thursday, December 31, 1998 8:16 AM
            >
            > From: Wade Buchan <wsb@...>
            >
            > Niles & Becchi wrote:
            >
            > > I'm the person that Jim Mann Taylor is talking about. I went ahead and
            > > subscribed to the list but the Alexander Cordiner I'm talking about, I
            > > think Jim gave the wrong birthdate. It's May 7, 1850, the date Jim
            gave is
            > > for Alexander's older brother William. Also Alexander married a Susan
            > > Bruce Scott born 1854 in Glasgow (I think.) Her parents were Gordon
            Scott
            > > and Susan Bruce. Alexander and Susan had several children prior to
            moving
            > > to England, on to Canada and then on to Barre, Vermont, U. S. A. where
            they
            > > had their last child, my grandmother Dorothy Florence Cordiner on
            February
            > > 9, 1897
            >
            > Firstly welcome to the list. I found the same date born 30/4/1850,
            > baptised 7/5/1850 Alexander Wilson Cordiner, parents William Cordiner
            > and Isabella Wilson. This is from the index, but if you want, I can look
            > at the full information from the Peterhead OPR.
            >
            > Do you have Alexander in the 1851 Census? It looks like they were
            > living in Roanheads.
            >
            > Regards, Wade.

          • Jim Mann Taylor
            Message 5 of 7 , Jan 18, 1999
              Anyone with an interest in the surname Cordiner from Peterhead (mainly
              Boddam) may like to look at the site below.

              Jim Mann Taylor
              United Kingdom
              e-mail: j.mann.taylor@...
              Main Surname interests: Taylor, Garden, Ingram, Mitchell, Mearns, Logan,
              Cordiner (all in Aberdeenshire, Scotland) with Lugton in Berwickshire and
              Mann in Norfolk, England.
              Aberdeenshire families (5700 individuals and 870 surnames)
              <http://www.j.mann.taylor.clara.co.uk/family.htm>
            • family History
              Message 6 of 7 , Dec 21, 2005
                Hi,
                I have a lot of Cordiner connections from Peterhead
                They intermarried with my "Stephen" family on different generations:
                Alexander Cordiner married Mary Janet Cordiner at Free Church,
                Boddam, Aberdeenshire Peterhead 21 Sep 1882

                Also
                James Cordiner (son of William ) married Anne Seller 27 Nov 1832 at
                Peterhead

                More information on all of these families if required
                Regards,
                Fiona,
                Homepage
                domain name: poulton.info
                pages at: familyhistory
              • Steve Broekmann
                Message 7 of 7 , Dec 23, 2005
                  Hi Fiona,

                  Thanks for your email.

                  Was the James CORDINER to whom you refer perhaps born about 8 Jan 1801? And was your William CORDINER born about 14 Apr 1764?

                  My interest arises from the fact that that William CORDINER is my gggg grandfather. If we are referring to the same family I would appreciate any info you may have.

                  Thanks,

                  Stephen Broekmann
                  Cape Town