Re: [Peterhead] TV program

  • Elisabeth Wilson
    Message 1 of 5 , May 12, 2003
      Hi everyone,

      Did others in Australia happen to see Foreign Correspondent on the ABC
      tonight? There was a segment on the problems in the fishing industry in NE
      Scotland with heaps of footage of Peterhead and lots of locals talking
      (love the accent, made me "homesick"). Apparently the herring or cod or
      both are getting low and the EEC has put quotas on - halving the catch in
      many instances. Obviously very tough in the short term for locals.

      I taped the program so if anyone is desperate...

      I don't often contribute to this list but read everything with interest and
      have filed lots of lists just in case. If anyone has any knowledge of
      families who moved to the coast (ie Peterhead) from inland in the early
      1800s, even in general, I'd be interested. My Gordons must have come from
      somewhere. (I'm starting to believe in immaculate conception.)

      Regards
      Elisabeth

      Elisabeth Wilson
      South Hobart, Tasmania
      SPENCE (Peterhead) PAUL (Peterhead?) MURRISON (Peterhead) CRAIG (Strichen)
      DAVIDSON (Strichen)
    • carolyn morrisey
      Message 2 of 5 , May 13, 2003
        Hello everyone,

        Following on from Elizabeth's message, for those in Australia who missed
        Foreign Correspondent last night, it is repeated on Thursday at 1pm.

        Carolyn Morrisey

        Elisabeth Wilson wrote:

        > Hi everyone,
        >
        > Did others in Australia happen to see Foreign Correspondent on the ABC
        > tonight? There was a segment on the problems in the fishing industry in NE
        > Scotland with heaps of footage of Peterhead and lots of locals talking
        > (love the accent, made me "homesick"). Apparently the herring or cod or
        > both are getting low and the EEC has put quotas on - halving the catch in
        > many instances. Obviously very tough in the short term for locals.
        >
        > I taped the program so if anyone is desperate...
        >
        > I don't often contribute to this list but read everything with interest and
        > have filed lots of lists just in case. If anyone has any knowledge of
        > families who moved to the coast (ie Peterhead) from inland in the early
        > 1800s, even in general, I'd be interested. My Gordons must have come from
        > somewhere. (I'm starting to believe in immaculate conception.)
        >
        > Regards
        > Elisabeth
        >
        > Elisabeth Wilson
        > South Hobart, Tasmania
        > researching GORDON (Peterhead) GIBB (Peterhead) YOUNG (Slains/Cruden)
        > SPENCE (Peterhead) PAUL (Peterhead?) MURRISON (Peterhead) CRAIG (Strichen)
        > DAVIDSON (Strichen)
        >

        > Peterhead Genealogy at http://www.axs.com.au/~wsb/

        Carolyn Morrisey
        Reserve Officer
        Matheson Library
        Monash University 3800
        Telephone: 9905 2675
      • Ed Campbell
        Message 3 of 5 , May 13, 2003
          Elisabeth:

          Good afternoon or is it morning?

          When you referred to ABC were you meaning Australian Broadcast C? or was it the American TV channel?

          I'm trying to find Foreign Assignment!

          Thanks

          Ed. Campbell from Edmonton, Alberta Canada

          searching Cowie, Adam, Robertson etc from Peterhead

        • Elisabeth Wilson
          Message 4 of 5 , May 14, 2003
            At 06:53 pm 14/05/2003, you wrote:

            >When you referred to ABC were you meaning Australian Broadcast C? or was
            >it the American TV channel?

            Sorry, Australian Broadcasting Corporation. I think they said there was
            something on their website as well - abc.net.au/foreign.