Peterhead Marriages

  • anna849
    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 29, 2003
      Some extra marriages from Scotlandspeople. Get in touch for details.

      1890 ALLISTON, Alexander, s/o James Alliston and Janet Davidson
      married CLARK, Sarah, d/o Charles Clark and Helen Gray

      STEPHEN, Robert s/o Robert Stephen and Agnes Cormack
      married LEASK, Mary ann Hay d/o John Leask and Isabella Hay

      1908 **** KEMP, George s/o William Kemp and Mary Wallace
      married STEPHEN, Elizabeth Ann d/o James Cordiner Stephen and
      Christian McLeman
      BROWN, Alexander s/o Charles Brown and Annie Bisset
      married COWE, Helen Noble d/o David Cowe and Helen Noble

      1911 THOMSON, Frederick, s/o John Thomson and Barbara Simpson
      married ALEXANDER, Barbara Ann Murison d/o Charles Alexander and
      Mary Lovie

      STEPHEN, David s/o George Stephen and Helen Hepburn
      married BUCHAN, Elsie d/o William Buchan and Helen Stephen

      1913 MACKAY, William John, s/o Hugh MacKAy and Georgina m/s MacKay
      married MURRAY, Christina,d/o Neil Murray and Christina Macdonald

      STEPHEN, David Thom, s/o Charles Stephen and Mary Buchan
      married STRACHAN, Elspet, d/o William Strachan and Mary Buchan

      Anna
    • Carolyn Morrisey
      Message 2 of 6 , May 21 7:32 PM
        Greetings everyone,

        Below is a list of marriages (from 1900 onwards)I have recently
        downloaded. I have the files if anyone would like a copy of the
        certificate that is of interest to them.

        I have a question about marriages in Peterhead. I have noticed on
        almost all the marriage certificates I have examined, and not just
        those relating to my family, that the “Where married” is shown as
        either a public hall or a private address, not a church, even though a
        minister presides and the Banns have been read in a church. I checked
        my grandmother’s and mother’s certificates as well. My grandmother
        (1919) was married in an hotel. However my mother (1945) was married
        in a church in Peterhead. Does anyone know why so many marriages in
        the 19th century & early 20th century weren’t performed in churches? I
        originally thought “cost!”, (after, all we are talking Peterhead people
        here!) but felt that hiring an hotel or hall must be more expensive
        than a church. Did it just make the transition from wedding service to
        reception easier? This practice seemed to go across denominations –
        although I haven’t so far come across any Catholics. I found one
        Peterhead relative who was married in Lerwick and he married in a
        church. Other branches of my family from Ayrshire all seemed to use
        churches. What was wrong with Peterhead churches???

        Marriages:
        9 Dec 1910 at Royal Hotel Bath St Aberdeen after Banns according to the
        form of the Est. Church of Scotland (ECS) George BAIRD, seaman,
        merchant service, 46 years, of 21 North Street Peterhead. Parents:
        David Sangster Baird, seaman deceased & Jane Baird MS Pyper, deceased
        TO Margaret DAVIDSON, dressmaker, 34, of 1a Cairntrodlia . Parents
        David Davidson, labourer & Isabella Davidson MS Milne. Witnesses Alex
        Davidson & Isabella Davidson. Celebrant: John Davidson, minister of
        East Church Peterhead.

        17 Aug 1916 at 19 Skelton St Buchanhaven after Banns according to the
        forms of the Wesleyan Methodist Church, John Watt BAIRD, Marine Engineer
        (2nd engineer R.N.R – Trawler Section), 23 of 19 Skelton St Buchanhaven
        (meantime stationed at Devonport). Parents Charles Baird, cooper, &
        Margaret Ann Baird MS Watt
        TO Isabella Buchan STRACHAN, fishworker, 20, of 12 Roanheads. Parents
        Robert Strachan, fisherman & Catherine Strachan MS Buchan. Witnesses:
        Jessie Strachan and Charles Baird. Celebrant: Wilfred Boscock, Wesleyan
        Minister.

        21 Aug 1916 at The Waverley Hotel Peterhead after Banns according to
        the forms of the Salvation Army, Cummin (?) Summers McGEE, cooper
        (Marine Fireman, Bomb Defense), 22, of 22 King St Peterhead.
        Parents:William Anderson McGee, fishcurer & Eliza McGee MS Summers,
        TO Jeannie Reid BUCHAN, fishworker, 22, of 75 Windmill Street. Parents:
        Arthur Buchan, fisherman, deceased and Jane Buchan MS Reid. Witnesses:
        James McGee & Christina Buchan. Celebrant: Donald Fletcher, 49
        Victoria St Aberdeen, Staff-captain Salvation Army.

        20 Jan 1919 at The Manse, Peterhead, after Banns according to the forms
        of the E.C.S, E. THORES (full name not given), Marine engine driver
        (Engineer R.N.R), 26, of 7 James St. Parents: Thomas Mair (or Moir?)
        Thoirs, engineman & Mary Thoirs MS Moir.
        TO Jemima BEAGRIE, fishworker, 22, 19 Longate. Parents: Peter Beagrie,
        cooper & Isabella Beagrie MS Davidson. Witnesses: Peter Wacker (?) and
        (?) Thores. Celebrant: H.Douglas Swan, Minister of Peterhead.

        23 Jan 1919 at The Palace Hotel Peterhead, after Banns according to the
        E.C.S, William Baird, farmer, 29 of Collielaw. Parents: Alexander
        Baird, farmer & Annie Baird MS Buchan,
        TO Janet Baird ALLAN, fishworker, 33 of 8 North St. Parents: Robert
        Allan, labourer & Jane Allan MS Baird. Witnesses: Barbara Darling
        Baird & Alexander Baird. Celebrant: William Wishart, Minister of East
        Church Peterhead.

        4 Aug 1919 at 22 Chapel St Peterhead, after Banns according to the
        E.C.S, Philip R Stevens, railway coach repairer, 34, of 7 Church Place
        St Ives Cornwall. Parents: James Stevens, fisherman, deceased &
        Elizabeth Stevens MS Rowe, deceased,
        TO Isabella STEWART, 30, of 22 Chapel St Peterhead. Parents:
        Alexander Stewart, Insurance agent & Helen Stewart MS Smith.
        Witnesses: James A Adams & Ruby Stewart. Celebrant: Thomas Logan
        Douglas for the minister of Peterhead.

        5 August 1919 at 14 St Peter Street Peterhead after Banns according to
        the forms of the E.C.S, William BAIRD, cooper, 25, of 23 North St.
        Parents: Alexander Baird, shipscarpenter & Mary Baird MS Buchan,
        TO Robina MASSIE, fishworker, 27 of 14 St Peter Street. Parents: John
        Massie, cooper, deceased, & Janet Massie MS Johnston. Witnesses: John
        Massie & Helen Milne. Celebrant: Thomas L Douglas for the minister of
        Peterhead.

        25 Dec 1919 at the Rescue Hall Peterhead, after Banns according to the
        forms of the Baptist Church, William BUCHAN, cooper, 31, of 13 Ware Rd
        Buchanhaven. Parents: William Buchan, fisherman & Christina Buchan, MS
        Buchan,
        TO Barbara Darling BAIRD, Clerkess, 27, of 73 Queen St. Parents:
        Alexander Baird, retired farmer & Annie Baird MS Buchan. Witnesses:
        Peter Buchan and Marjory Baird. Celebrant: John Horton, Baptist
        Minister Peterhead.

        29 Dec 1919 at The U.P. Hall, Thistle St Peterhead, after Banns
        according to the forms of the E.C.S, David WEDDERBURN, merchant seaman,
        23, of 40 Longate. Parents: David Wedderburn, merchant seaman &
        Rachel Wedderburn MS Buchan
        TO Helen McLean MORRISON, 21 of 40 Longate. Parents: James Morrison,
        cooper & Mary Jane Morrison MS McLean. Witnesses Robert Boardley &
        Rachel Wedderburn. Celebrant: H. Douglas Swan, Minister of Peterhead.

        16 Dec 1920 at The Waverley Hotel Peterhead after Banns according to
        forms of the Congregational Church, Robert George STRACHAN, fisherman,
        26, of 33 Gladstone Rd Peterhead. Parents: Thomas Strachan, fisherman
        & Helen Strachan MS Smith
        TO Agnes BUCHAN, fishworker, 23 of 10 Albion St Peterhead. Parents:
        David Strachan, fisherman & Jessie Buchan MS Wesh (or West?).
        Witnesses: Henry James Buchan & Annie Strachan. Celebrant: Hassal
        Hanmer (?), B.D. Congregational Minister Peterhead.

        16 Dec 1920 at The Rescue Hall Peterhead after Banns according to the
        forms of the Congregational Church, George BAIRD, cooper, 29, of 24 Pt
        Henry Rd. Parents: William Baird, labourer, deceased & Barbara Baid MS
        McDougall,
        TO Mary MILNE, fishworker, 24, of 13 Seagate. Parents: William Milne,
        merchant seaman & Elizabeth Milne MS Gibb. Witnesses: James Hardie &
        Barbara Baird. Celebrant: Hassal Hanmer, M.A, B.D. Congregational
        Minister Peterhead.

        21 July 1924 at The Manse Peterhead after Banns according to the forms
        of the E.C.S, James AITKEN, fishworker, 20, of 22 Charlotte St
        Peterhead. Parents: David Aitken, housepainter & Grace Aitken MS Smith,
        TO Margaret Lind STRACHAN, fishworker, 20, of Fairview, East North
        Street. Parents: Alexander Geddes Strachan, fishcurer & Jeannie
        Stachan MS Buchan. Witnesses: Peter Strachan, Fairview, Roanheads and
        Jean Strachan, Fairview, Roanheads. Celebrant: H. Douglas Swan,
        Minister of Peterhead.

        23 July 1924 at the Royal Albert Dining Rooms, after Banns according to
        the forms of the Wesleyan Methodist Church, Peterhead, James BAIRD,
        cooper, widower, 36, of 34 Port Henry Rd. Parents: William Baird,
        labourer, deceased, & Barbara Baird MS McDougall,
        TO Lizzie Jane WILLOX, domestic servant, 32, of 50 Queen St. Parents:
        George Willox, labourer & Christina Willox MS Fraser. Witnesses: James
        Smith 38 Windmill St & Christina Willox 50 Queen St. Celebrant:
        Albert Dickinson, Minister of Wesleyan Methodist Church, Peterhead.

        9 March 1927 at 29 Longate Peterhead, after Banns according to the
        forms of the United Free Church of Scotland, David Sangster BAIRD,
        butcher, 26, of 37 North Street. Parents: Robert Catto Baird, master
        tinsmith & Rachel Wilson Baird MS Buchan,
        TO Martha Florence FERNANDO, 31, of 29 Longate. Parents: Joseph
        Fernando, general servant & Jemima Fernando MS Florence. Witnesses: B.
        Fernando, 29 Longate & Jane Baird, 37 North St. Celebrant: Alexander
        Lawrie, West U.F. Church Peterhead.

        31 March 1927 at 1 Broad St Peterhead – By declaration in the presence
        of Henry Bartlet, The Village, Mintlaw & Williamina Milne or Bartlet,
        his wife residing with him –James Forman SHAND, retired farmer,
        widower, 69, of South St Mintlaw. Parents: Marjory Shand, domestic
        servant, deceased
        TO Christina SCOTT, housekeeper, widow, 71, of South St Mintlaw.
        Parents: Donald Martin, shoemaker, deceased & Mary Martin MS Morrison,
        deceased. By Warrant of sherriff substitute of Aberdeen, Kinkardine and
        Banff dated 31st March 1927.

        Hope these are of some use to others.

        Carolyn
      • Linda Adam
        Message 3 of 6 , Aug 22, 2003
          Ref. 232 / 01 0061
          September 26, 1878, Backgate, Phd.
          After Banns according to the Forms of the Church of Scotland
          (Signed)
          George Thomson, Cooper, Bachelor, age 21
          17 Backgate, Peterhead
          Parents: John Thomson, Joiner (Jour), deceased & Ann Thomson m.s. Copland
          and
          (Signed by her X Mark)
          Helen Soutter, Domestic Servant, Spinster, age 20
          17 Backgate, Peterhead
          Parents: James Soutter, Ship Carpenter & Margaret Soutter m.s. Milne
          Witnesses: William Paddie(?) & Christina Alderdyce(?) Aldridge(?)

          Ref. 232 / 01 0062
          September 30, 1878, 9 / 5 Seagate, Phd.
          After Banns according to the Forms of the Roman Catholic Church
          (Signed)
          John Johnston Wallace, Sailmaker, Bachelor, age 28
          37 Backgate, Peterhead
          Parents: Alexander Wallace, Shipmaster, deceased and Margaret Wallace m.s. Johnston, deceased
          and
          (Signed)
          Mary Hird, Domestic Servant, Spinster, age 23
          9 / 5 Seagate, Peterhead
          Parents: James Hird, Seaman (Merchant Service) and Amelia Hird m.s. Wilson
          Witnesses: David Smith and Andrew Masson(?)

          Ref. 232 / 01 0053
          July 28, 1894, Sandford, Phd.
          After Banns according to the Forms of the Established Church of Scotland
          (Signed)
          Forbes Whyte, Journeyman, Blacksmith, Bachelor, age 21
          13 Rose Street, Peterhead
          Parents: Father not shown Mother: Barbara Hird(?) m.s. Whyte
          and
          (Signed)
          Mary Thomson, Domestic Servant, Spinster, age 20
          Sandford, Peterhead
          Parents: William Thomson, Blacksmith & Barbara Thomson m.s. Whyte
          Witnesses: James -eid & Chas. Stephen

          Ref. 232 / 01 0054
          August 03, 1894, 2 King Street, Phd.
          After Banns according to the Forms of the Free Church of Scotland
          George Gray Morrison, Fireman on Steamboat???, age 30?
          24 Kirk or King Street, Phd.
          Parents: Gordon Morrison, Labourer & Marg. Morrison m.s. McMillian?
          and
          (Signed)
          Isabella Forbes, Spinster, age 20
          2 King Street, Peterhead
          Parents: Alexander Forbes, Carter & Helen Forbes m.s. ??
          witnesses: Andrew Johnston & ? maybe Jessie C. Morrison

        • Betty Holmes
          Message 4 of 6 , Feb 16, 2004
            Wade, May I have the detals please of the following marriages:-

            Georgina Cow 1856
            Grace Cow 1869
            &
            James Cow 1868.
            Thank you very much. Betty.

            Message 5 of 6 , Feb 24, 2004
              Hi Betty,

              No.8, 07/02/1856, Church of Scotland, John Webster, aged 23, Longate, Mariner, bachelor, parents: John Webster, Mariner (deceased) and Mary Webster ms Duff (deceased) married to Georgina Cow, aged 18, Longate, spinster, parents: George Cow, Joiner and Margaret Cow ms Grant, witnesses: John Lawrance and James Bruce.

              No.31, 11/7/1869 Seagate, Episcopal Church, Robert Fairweather, Seaman, bachelor, aged 26, Crooked Lane, parents: George Fairweather, Labourer and Ann Fairweather ms Bell married to Grace Cow, spinister, aged 21, Crooked Lane, parents: George Cow, Joiner (deceased) and Margaret Cow ms Grant, witnesses: Joan Hood and Mary Booth.

              No.16, 23/02/1868, Seagate, Church of Scotland, James Cow, Seaman, bachelor, aged 27, Crooked Lane, parents: George Cow, Joiner and Margaret Cow ms Grant married to Margaret Matthew, spinister, aged 38, Seagate, parents: Alexander Matthew, Ship Carpenter (dead) and Margaret Matthew ms Robertson (dead), witnesses: James Herd and Robert Fairweather.

              Message 6 of 6 , Aug 4, 2004
                Hi Wade,
                Could I have any additional info you have for James Mitchell and Elizabeth Robertson, married July 14,1856, Peterhead.
                I believe this could be a son of James Mitchell and Margaret Byres.
                Thank You in advance.
                Sharon