Peterhead Shipmasters

  • Alex Ritchie
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 29 10:29 AM
      Hi All,
      I guess my note to Catherine sparked off some interest !! I hope I havn't got people's hopes up too much, this "project" of trying to compile a list of Shipmasters is a monumental task.....there were many, many shipmasters from Peterhead. I don't know when I can draw a line in the sand and say enough's enough with this.
      I currently have a record of approximately 400 Peterhead shipmasters. Some I have practically no details of, most I have quite good data. I am recording their birth, marriage & deaths date ; their parents, wife's parents and, where possible details about a death at sea (where appropriate). As I said, I don't know if this "catalog" will ever see the light of day, but I would be happy to share any information I have.

      For Mary Melville : Mary, don't know why your e-mail "bounced". My address is alex@...

      For William Leslie : William, No I don't have a James Rankin...would be delighted to get details

      For George : Yes, I know Gavin's book well. Actually we are related...my mother and Gavin's father are cousins
      The whalers are pretty well documented, but there were many others who sailed quite tiny vessels to the most
      distant parts of the world in the 1800s.

      For Catherine : Catherine, many thanks for the Davidson information.

      Thanks again to everyone............................Alex Ritchie

    • Elisabeth Wilson
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 30 1:53 PM
        At 05:29 29/04/03, Alex Ritchie wrote:
        > I currently have a record of approximately 400 Peterhead
        > shipmasters. Some I have practically no details of, most I have quite
        > good data. I am recording their birth, marriage & deaths date ; their
        > parents, wife's parents and, where possible details about a death at sea
        > (where appropriate). As I said, I don't know if this "catalog" will ever
        > see the light of day, but I would be happy to share any information I have.

        Do you have William Gordon, c. 1818 - 1864? I don't know if you'd call him
        a shipmaster. According to our family sources, he and his brother-in-law
        Alexander Bruce owned the Nellie, which was being serviced at ?Dundee when
        he was crushed between two ships (on the slips?). He died of pneumonia at
        home in Peterhead in November 1864 as a result. If you have any more
        information on him I'd love it - I can give you marriages, children, wives
        and parents, but not, alas, his birth - if it miraculously turned up I'd
        be rapt. I have his mother, and a name for his father but no proof.

        Elisabeth

        Elisabeth Wilson
        South Hobart, Tasmania
        researching GORDON GIBB YOUNG SPENCE PAUL MURRISON CRAIG DAVIDSON
      • Alex Ritchie
        Message 3 of 3 , May 3, 2003
          For Elisabeth Wilson :

          Hi Elisabeth,
          I have a Thomas Gordon and a George Gordon, but I
          don't have a William Gordon.
          Would be grateful for any details.

          Many Thanks.........................Alex
          Ritchie