Re: [Peterhead] James Davidson

  • CCI
    Message 1 of 8 , Apr 23 5:29 PM
      Hi Alex, thanks for your message. I would love to buy a copy when the projects finished.

      James Davidson.
      born. 5th October 1852
      father. James Davidson
      mother. Joan Ogston
      married. Agnes Forrest 26th January 1877, Peterhead
      died. Sunderland, Master Mariner age 50. 27th Dec 1901
      cause of death. Pneumonia

      1892-3 Antarctic Whaling Expedition
      James Davidson, POLAR STAR
      Thomas Robertson, ACTIVE
      Alexr. Fairweather, BALAENA
      Robert Davidson, DIANA

      James Davidson became captain of the Polar Star in 1889.
      Polar Star built in Peterhead in 1857, became wrecked in the Hudson Straits in 1899.
      Crew rescued by the ACTIVE.

      I have more info, mainly on the expedition and the crew of the Polar Star in 1892-3.
      If you need anything else, please just say.
      Many thanks,
      Catherine

    • William Leslie
      Message 2 of 8 , Apr 28 7:00 AM
        Hello Alex;
        I am pleased to hear of your book on shipmaster from Peterhead. Do you have
        my gg grandfather James Rankin already? If not, I can send you the data.
        Regards
        William Leslie

        Message 3 of 8 , Apr 28 8:31 AM
          Alex...I sent you E-mail with bibliographys from the Whaling Years
          (Peterhead) (1788-1893) by Gavan Sutheranland. You may find lots of reading
          there.

          The cost of The Whaling Years by Gavin Sutherland is £6.95 + £1.00 postage
          and is available from: <A HREF="http://www.abdn.ac.uk/css/northern.hti">Centre for Scottish Studies - Books and Journals</A>
          margaret croll
          centre for scottish studies
          university of aberdeen
          king's college
          24 high street
          old aberdeen ab24 3eb

          Good Luck in your research.

          george

          I am attempting (and have been for some time !!) to compile a list,
          catalog (call it what you will) of Peterhead Shipmasters. These are not just
          whaling masters, although they are included.
          I would be interested to you a little about your great grandfather
          (James Davidson). For example his dates of birth, marriage & death, his
          parents, his wife etc. I would be extremely grateful if you could give me
          some details on him.

          Many Thanks & Kindest
          Regards..........................................Alex Ritchie

        • Mary MELVILLE
          Message 4 of 8 , Apr 28 3:05 PM
            Mr Ritchie
            Tried to e-mail you but message returned. If you would like to contact me
            again I will give you some information which may be of use.

            > "My great grandfather was captain of the Polar Star that went on that
            > expedition, James Davidson, born Peterhead."
            >
            > I am attempting (and have been for some time !!) to compile a
            list, catalog (call it what you will) of Peterhead Shipmasters. These are
            not just whaling masters, although they are included.
            > I would be interested to you a little about your great grandfather
            (James Davidson). For example his dates of birth, marriage & death, his
            parents, his wife etc. I would be extremely grateful if you could give me
            some details on him.

            > Many Thanks & Kindest
            Regards..........................................Alex Ritchie

            > Peterhead Genealogy at http://www.axs.com.au/~wsb/

          • Marlyn Exmoor Pony Farms
            Message 5 of 8 , Apr 29 7:38 AM
              Hi, This is Betty Holmes! I am at my daughter's-who has been on the list for
              some time but I don't think is active in genealogy at present.[She is in
              Ontario-NOT Toronto!- 3 days drive from our home in Nova Scotia]
              I am interested in the above name, also Joan Ogston-who was her father?
              And-not having the original message-what is the project?
              Interesting that he died in Sunderland, that is my home town!-I presume his
              death will be recorded there? Betty.
            • CCI
              Message 6 of 8 , Apr 29 8:13 AM
                Hi Betty, it's Catherine in Australia, I sent you a package of my Ogston and Davidson families some months ago.
                Joan Ogston's father was John Ogston and her mother Margaret Calder.
                Alex Ritchie is puting together a catalog of Peterhead Shipmaster's, and that's probably the part you read about the project I mentioned.
                James Davidson died in Sunderland in 1901. I have the extract of his death, and it names the ship he was captain of. The THEODORA. His death certificate is held by the Marine Register, so the certificate says.

                Best wishes, Catherine

              • Cci
                Message 7 of 8 , Oct 31, 2005
                  Hi group, how are you all tonight.
                  I thought this WAS a person in my Davidson's, but it's not.
                  Might be of help to someone else.
                  Catherine

                  1861 census
                  1 King Street, Peterhead
                  John Cockbu???, head, mar, 49, Grocer, Banff, St Fergus
                  Elisabeth do, wife, mar, 43, Crimond
                  Ann C. do, dau, 13, Peterhead
                  James do, son, 11, Peterhead
                  John do, son, 7, Peterhead
                  Robert do, son, 1, Peterhead
                  Alexander do, son, 1, Peterhead

                  2 King Street
                  Jane Henderson, Head, W, 51, Cruden
                  James Forbes, son, unmar, 21, Mason, New Deer

                  2 King Street
                  James Davidson, head, mar, 52, Labourer, Banff St fergus
                  Mary do, wife, mar, 52, Peterhead

                  3 King Street
                  William henry, head, mar, 46, Rope maker, Banff Rathven
                  Catherine do, wife, mar, 38, Peterhead
                  Jean do, dau, 14, scholar, Peterhead
                  Margaret do, dau, 9, scholar, Peterhead
                  William do, son, 5, scholar, Peterhead
                  James do, son, ?, Peterhead

                  1 Constitution Street
                  Ann Fyvie, head, mar, ?4, Dressmaker, Crimond
                  Mary McBeath, dau, 9, scholar, Fraserburgh
                  Margaret Daniel, boarder, unmar, 14, scholar, Cruden

                  1 Constitution Street
                  Alexander Greig, head, mar, 30, Wool spinner, Kincardinshire
                  Mary do, wife, mar, 37, Kincardinshire
                  Mary Ann do, dau, 7, scholar, Peterhead
                  Jean do, dau, 5, scholar, Peterhead
                  Jemima do, dau, 2, Peterhead