Re: [Peterhead] James Davidson

  • CCI
    Message 1 of 8 , Apr 23, 2003
      Hi Alex, thanks for your message. I would love to buy a copy when the projects finished.

      James Davidson.
      born. 5th October 1852
      father. James Davidson
      mother. Joan Ogston
      married. Agnes Forrest 26th January 1877, Peterhead
      died. Sunderland, Master Mariner age 50. 27th Dec 1901
      cause of death. Pneumonia

      1892-3 Antarctic Whaling Expedition
      James Davidson, POLAR STAR
      Thomas Robertson, ACTIVE
      Alexr. Fairweather, BALAENA
      Robert Davidson, DIANA

      James Davidson became captain of the Polar Star in 1889.
      Polar Star built in Peterhead in 1857, became wrecked in the Hudson Straits in 1899.
      Crew rescued by the ACTIVE.

      I have more info, mainly on the expedition and the crew of the Polar Star in 1892-3.
      If you need anything else, please just say.
      Many thanks,
      Catherine

    • Alex Ritchie
      Message 2 of 8 , Apr 28, 2003
        For Catherine :

        Hi Catherine,
        In a recent mailing you wrote :

        "My great grandfather was captain of the Polar Star that went on that
        expedition, James Davidson, born Peterhead."

        I am attempting (and have been for some time !!) to compile a list, catalog (call it what you will) of Peterhead Shipmasters. These are not just whaling masters, although they are included.
        I would be interested to you a little about your great grandfather (James Davidson). For example his dates of birth, marriage & death, his parents, his wife etc. I would be extremely grateful if you could give me some details on him.

        Many Thanks & Kindest Regards..........................................Alex Ritchie

      • William Leslie
        Message 3 of 8 , Apr 28, 2003
          Hello Alex;
          I am pleased to hear of your book on shipmaster from Peterhead. Do you have
          my gg grandfather James Rankin already? If not, I can send you the data.
          Regards
          William Leslie

          > "My great grandfather was captain of the Polar Star that went on that
          > expedition, James Davidson, born Peterhead."
          >
          > I am attempting (and have been for some time !!) to compile a
          list, catalog (call it what you will) of Peterhead Shipmasters. These are
          not just whaling masters, although they are included.
          > I would be interested to you a little about your great grandfather
          (James Davidson). For example his dates of birth, marriage & death, his
          parents, his wife etc. I would be extremely grateful if you could give me
          some details on him.

          > Many Thanks & Kindest
          Regards..........................................Alex Ritchie

        • george4705@aol.com
          Message 4 of 8 , Apr 28, 2003
            Alex...I sent you E-mail with bibliographys from the Whaling Years
            (Peterhead) (1788-1893) by Gavan Sutheranland. You may find lots of reading
            there.

            The cost of The Whaling Years by Gavin Sutherland is £6.95 + £1.00 postage
            and is available from: <A HREF="http://www.abdn.ac.uk/css/northern.hti">Centre for Scottish Studies - Books and Journals</A>
            margaret croll
            centre for scottish studies
            university of aberdeen
            king's college
            24 high street
            old aberdeen ab24 3eb

            Good Luck in your research.

            george

            I am attempting (and have been for some time !!) to compile a list,
            catalog (call it what you will) of Peterhead Shipmasters. These are not just
            whaling masters, although they are included.
            I would be interested to you a little about your great grandfather
            (James Davidson). For example his dates of birth, marriage & death, his
            parents, his wife etc. I would be extremely grateful if you could give me
            some details on him.

            Many Thanks & Kindest
            Regards..........................................Alex Ritchie

          • Mary MELVILLE
            Message 5 of 8 , Apr 28, 2003
              Mr Ritchie
              Tried to e-mail you but message returned. If you would like to contact me
              again I will give you some information which may be of use.

              > "My great grandfather was captain of the Polar Star that went on that
              > expedition, James Davidson, born Peterhead."
              >
              > I am attempting (and have been for some time !!) to compile a
              list, catalog (call it what you will) of Peterhead Shipmasters. These are
              not just whaling masters, although they are included.
              > I would be interested to you a little about your great grandfather
              (James Davidson). For example his dates of birth, marriage & death, his
              parents, his wife etc. I would be extremely grateful if you could give me
              some details on him.

              > Many Thanks & Kindest
              Regards..........................................Alex Ritchie

              > Peterhead Genealogy at http://www.axs.com.au/~wsb/

            • Marlyn Exmoor Pony Farms
              Message 6 of 8 , Apr 29, 2003
                Hi, This is Betty Holmes! I am at my daughter's-who has been on the list for
                some time but I don't think is active in genealogy at present.[She is in
                Ontario-NOT Toronto!- 3 days drive from our home in Nova Scotia]
                I am interested in the above name, also Joan Ogston-who was her father?
                And-not having the original message-what is the project?
                Interesting that he died in Sunderland, that is my home town!-I presume his
                death will be recorded there? Betty.
              • CCI
                Message 7 of 8 , Apr 29, 2003
                  Hi Betty, it's Catherine in Australia, I sent you a package of my Ogston and Davidson families some months ago.
                  Joan Ogston's father was John Ogston and her mother Margaret Calder.
                  Alex Ritchie is puting together a catalog of Peterhead Shipmaster's, and that's probably the part you read about the project I mentioned.
                  James Davidson died in Sunderland in 1901. I have the extract of his death, and it names the ship he was captain of. The THEODORA. His death certificate is held by the Marine Register, so the certificate says.

                  Best wishes, Catherine

                • Cci
                  Message 8 of 8 , Oct 31, 2005
                    Hi group, how are you all tonight.
                    I thought this WAS a person in my Davidson's, but it's not.
                    Might be of help to someone else.
                    Catherine

                    1861 census
                    1 King Street, Peterhead
                    John Cockbu???, head, mar, 49, Grocer, Banff, St Fergus
                    Elisabeth do, wife, mar, 43, Crimond
                    Ann C. do, dau, 13, Peterhead
                    James do, son, 11, Peterhead
                    John do, son, 7, Peterhead
                    Robert do, son, 1, Peterhead
                    Alexander do, son, 1, Peterhead

                    2 King Street
                    Jane Henderson, Head, W, 51, Cruden
                    James Forbes, son, unmar, 21, Mason, New Deer

                    2 King Street
                    James Davidson, head, mar, 52, Labourer, Banff St fergus
                    Mary do, wife, mar, 52, Peterhead

                    3 King Street
                    William henry, head, mar, 46, Rope maker, Banff Rathven
                    Catherine do, wife, mar, 38, Peterhead
                    Jean do, dau, 14, scholar, Peterhead
                    Margaret do, dau, 9, scholar, Peterhead
                    William do, son, 5, scholar, Peterhead
                    James do, son, ?, Peterhead

                    1 Constitution Street
                    Ann Fyvie, head, mar, ?4, Dressmaker, Crimond
                    Mary McBeath, dau, 9, scholar, Fraserburgh
                    Margaret Daniel, boarder, unmar, 14, scholar, Cruden

                    1 Constitution Street
                    Alexander Greig, head, mar, 30, Wool spinner, Kincardinshire
                    Mary do, wife, mar, 37, Kincardinshire
                    Mary Ann do, dau, 7, scholar, Peterhead
                    Jean do, dau, 5, scholar, Peterhead
                    Jemima do, dau, 2, Peterhead