Surname MUNDIE or MUNDY in Aberdeensire

  • Roy Flett
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 27, 2003
      I am researching the surname Mundie in Aberdeenshire and have the
      following loose ends that someone may be able to tie up:

      My gt gt gt gt gt grandfather was a John Mundie who married a
      Margaret Presslie on 31 July 1785 in Lonmay. John is described in the
      death records for his children as a tailor and dead before 1857.

      I can find no baptisms for children to this couple in the OPRs or in
      the Episcopal records for Lonmay.

      I have found two children from the registers of deaths:

      My ancestor Ann Mundie born circa 1799 in Crimond from census
      records. Ann marrried Alexander Slorach, shoemaker, circa 1822 and
      her children were born in St Fergus and Peterhead where she died on
      25 November 1872. Alexander and Ann were living at Roanheads,
      Peterhead per the 1871 census.

      Magdalene, known as Daly Mundie born circa 1785 in Crimond from
      census records. Daly married James Black, seaman, on 26 February 1810
      in Peterhead where she died on 13 th February 1857, living a Port
      Henry Lane.

      Elizabeth Slorach, daughter of Alexander Slorach and Ann Mundie,
      married a William Taylor on 4th August 1844 in Peterhead, William was
      born circa 1826 in Aberdeen from the censuses, his parents were
      William Taylor and Elizabeth Mundie who married 16 September 1821
      Peterhead.

      I also have a connection to John Mundie who appears in the 1851
      census for Longside:

      At South Street

      John Mundie head 48 feuar and thatcher b Old Deer
      Jean Mundie wife 38 b Longside
      Mary Mundie dau 17 b Longside
      Elspet Mundie dau 9 b Longside
      Cummine Mundie son 6 b Longside
      Sophia R Mundie dau 2 b Longside
      Ann D Mundie dau 2m b Longsdie

      This is John Mundie and wife Jane Scott m 1st April 1844 Longside.
      John Mundie appears to have died before 1855. His wife Jane died 14
      June 1877 in Fraserburgh.

      In the next household appears:

      Eliza Mundie head Wid 80 formerly schoolmistress b Old Deer
      Mary Davidson gr child 9 b Longside
      Alexander Leslie gr child 7 b Longside

      This may be John Mundie born 1800 Old Deer to Alexander Mundie and
      Elzabeth Keith. Elizabeth Keith nee Mundie had a daughter Agnes. A
      Mary Davidson was born 1841 Longside to an Agnes Mundie and John
      Davidson.

      Any evidence to confirm this would be appreciated. I'd also be
      interested in any Mundie/Mundy connections in Aberdeenshire/St Fergus
      as I've followed most of the Mundie lines in this area.

      Roy