Re: [Peterhead] Peterhead deaths

  • Carolyn Morrisey
    Message 1 of 11 , Apr 27 12:04 AM
      Dear Sharon,

      Elspet Geddes died at age 39 on 9th August 1901. She was single, a
      fishworker and resided at 4 Harbour St Buchanhaven. Her father William
      Geddes (deceased) had been a merchant seaman. Her mother's maiden
      surname was also Geddes. (Mother also deceased). Elspet's brother
      William Geddes of 26 Longate was the witness. I'm afraid my knowledge
      of illness is poor so I'm not quite sure what she died from - looks
      like Epileptic corn...Syncope (?).
      I will email a copy of the certificate to your email address. You may
      have better luck then me reading that bit.

      John Robert Webster, aged 5 years, died on 23rd January 1907. His
      father, John Webster, wsa a merchant seaman and his mother's maiden
      name was Ogston. Their address was 60 Prince St Peterhead. The witness
      was the child's uncle - signature is hard to read but appears to be
      C.F. Wills. John died from diarrhoea as certified by James Middleton.

      Hope this helps,

      Carolyn

      Message 2 of 11 , Apr 27 12:52 AM
        Thanks Carolyn,
        I'm afraid I'm not much better at making out what her cause of death was !
        Thanks again
        Sharon

      • anna849
        Message 3 of 11 , Apr 30 5:08 AM
          Sue,

          JAMES CONNON, cooper journeyman, married to Janet Fife Will, died
          March 25, 1930 at 0h 45 min am at 16 Erroll St., Peterhead. Age 41.
          Son of James Connon, cooper journeyman, deceased and Jane Connon m/s
          Booth, deceased.
          Cause of death: acute influenzal pneumonia
          Certified by: Vincent B Yule ( MB ChB looks like)
          Death reported by: John Will, father-in-law and inmate

          Anna
        • J Adams
          Message 4 of 11 , May 6, 2003
            Carolyn,
            Could you please give me the details on Robert Carle who died in 1919.

            Thanks
            Jim Adams
            Message 5 of 11 , May 7, 2003
              Hi Carolyn, I have just got back 'in ernest' to my husband's Peterhead
              Genealogy. Will you send me a copy of the death certificate of John
              Webster age 5 who died in 1907, son of John Webster & Johanna Ogston.
              Are you related to these people? They are the parents of one of my
              husband's uncles. Look forward to hearing from you. Betty.
            • Carolyn Morrisey
              Message 6 of 11 , May 22, 2003
                Here are some deaths in Peterhead - from 1900 onwards. If you want a
                copy of the downloaded certificate, please let me know.

                Jane BAIRD, married to George Baird, labourer. Died 8 March 1901 at
                11:55a.m. at 7 Ugie Square. Age 53. Parents: William Strachan,
                fisherman, (deceased) & Ann Strachan MS Geddes. Cause: Progressive
                Paralysis – 2 years, no qualified medical attendant.Informant: George
                Baird, widower, present.

                John BAIRD. Died 10 March 1901 at 2 p.m. at 21 North St. Age 20 months.
                Parents: David Baird, merchant seaman & Elsie Baird MS Stewart. Cause:
                Chronic Bronchitis with gastritis – 2 months, as certified by D.
                Carmichael MB. CM. Informant: David Baird, father, present.

                Alexander Winter BREBNER. Died 11 March 1901 at 9:30 a.m. at 13
                Seagate. Age 6 months. Parents: William Brebner, carter & Alexandrina
                Brebner MS Winter. Cause Influenza & bronchitis – 21 days, as certified
                by D Carmichael MD CM. Informant: Lizzie Brebner, aunt, present, 12
                Crooked Lane.

                George BAIRD. Died 9 Dec. 1903 at 10:30 p.m. at 29 North Street. Age 1
                year and 7 months. Parents: George Baird, labourer & Maggie Baird MS
                Baird. Cause: Tubercular meningitis as certified by James Middleton.
                Informant: George Baird, father, present.

                William GRAY, farmer, widower of 1) June Catto, 2) Margaret Brown
                Milne. Died 11 Dec 1903 at 7 p.m. at Blackhouse Peterhead. Age 81.
                Parents William Gray, farmer, deceased & Ann Gray MS Sim, deceased.
                Cause: Old age, apoplexy, as certified by James Middleton. Informant:
                William S Gray, son and inmate, present.

                Christian WOOD, married to William Wood, fisherman. Died 14 Dec 1903
                at 2 Auldmanythie Rd Peterhead. Age 45. Parents: James Strachan,
                fisherman & Christian Strachan MS Buchan. Cause: Erysipelae – 9 days,
                as certified by James Middleton. Informant: William Wood, widower,
                present.

                Christina BRUCE. Died 17 March 1913 at 9 p.m. at The Burgh Hospital.
                Usual res. The Links, Peterhead. Age 5 years. Parents: Andrew Bruce,
                fisherman & Williamina Bruce MS Buchan. Cause: Scarlet fever, as
                certified by Norman Davidson MB ChB. Informant: Andrew Bruce, father,
                The Links.

                Mary TAYLOR. Died 18 March 1913 at 11 a.m. at 43 High St Buchanhaven.
                Age 21 months. Parents: John Strachan Taylor, fisherman & Jane Taylor
                MS Bruce. Cause: Otitis media – 3 months, Mastoid Abscess – 2 months 4
                days, as certified by Jas. Stephens MD. Informant: John Taylor,
                father, present.

                Alexander Wilson BAIRD. Died 20 March 1913 at 6 a.m. at 9 Auldmanythie
                Rd. Age: 4 ½ months. Parents: Alexander Baird, cooper & Margaret Watt
                Baird MS Wilson. Cause: Convulsions – 5 hours, as certified by Jas
                Stephens. Informant: Alexander Baird, father, present.

                Alexander Birnie Rankin LESLIE. Died 30 July 1919 at 3 p.m. at 5
                Roanheads. Age 7 years 5 months. Parents: William Leslie, cooper, &
                Williamina Leslie MS Rankin. Cause: Acute pneumonia (septic) - 1 month
                as certified by Gilbert Garrey MB. Informant: William Leslie, father,
                present.

                Alfred Baird McKENZIE. Died 1 Aug 1919 at 10:15 p.m. at 73 Queen St.
                Age 7 days. Parents: Ruth Baird or McKenzie, clerkess, wife of
                Frederick George McKenzie, fishworker. Cause: Icterus Neonatorium (?) –
                2 days, as certified by James Smith MB. CM. Informant: Fred G.
                McKenzie, step-father and inmate, present.

                Peter BEAGRIE, stableman, widower of Georgina Milne. Died 5 Aug 1919
                at 6:45 a.m. at 65 Marischal St. Age: 70 years. Parents: Peter
                Beagrie, farm servant, deceased & Elizabeth Beagrie MS Morrison,
                deceased. Cause: Bronchopneumonia – 8 days, as certified by W.B.
                Tannahill (?) MB. Informant: Thomas Beagrie, son, present. 16 St
                Mary Street Peterhead.

                Mary Allan Blow TAYLOR, married to Robert Taylor, sawyer. Died 23
                November 1935 at 22 Longate. Age 42 years. Parents: Robert Forbes
                Park, carter, deceased & Mary Jane Brown Park, MS Blow. Cause:
                Cerebral embolism – 1 day, as certified by John Findlay MB CHB.
                Informant: Robert Taylor, widower and inmate.

                Douglas BAIRD. Died 26 Nov 1932 at 10:45 p.m. at 23 Queen St. Age 10
                days. Parents: Mary Amy Massie Baird, hairdresser. Cause:
                Prematurity, as certified by Vincent Yule MB CHB. Informant: William
                Baird, grandfather and inmate.

                Ambrosina Ritchie TAYLOR, message girl. Died: 3 Dec 1935 at 9:30 a.m
                at 18 Castle St. Age: 15 years. Parents: Andrew Taylor, fisherman,
                deceased & Ambrosina Taylor, MS Ritchie. Cause: Lobar pneumonia – 16
                days, as certified by James Robertson MB CHB. Informant: A. Birnie,
                friend, 27 Maiden St.

                Duncan McLennan BIRNIE, stone cutter, retired, married to Jane Daniel.
                Died: 6 April 1940 at 9:30 p.m. at 82 Kirk St. Age 67 years.
                Parents: Alexander Birnie, tailor, deceased & Betsy Birnie MS
                McLennan, deceased. Cause: Gastric haemorrhage, gastric ulcer, as
                certified by John Findlay MD CHB. Informant: Duncan Birnie, son, 23
                King St.

                Sophia MUNRO, widow of Angus Munro, cooper. Died: 8 April 1940 at 3
                p.m. at 6 Port Henry Lane. Age: 80 years. Perents: Joseph Massie,
                general labourer, deceased & Elizabeth Massie MS Cowie, deceased.
                Cause: Cerebral haemorrhage – 4 days, as certified by Laura E?? MB
                CHB. Informant: Alex Munro, son and inmate.

                George BAIRD, ship’s engineer, single. Died: 11 April 1940 at 5:15
                a.m. at 19 North Street. Age: 28 years. Parents: George Baird,
                merchant seaman & Margaret Baird MS Davidson, deceased. Cause:
                Disseminated (?) sclerosis as certified by Douglas McBain MB CHM.
                Informant; David D. Baird, brother, present. 4 Queen St.

                Carolyn
              • William Leslie
                Message 7 of 11 , May 22, 2003
                  Hello Carolyn;
                  The Alexander Birnie Rankin Leslie of 5 Roanheads below, was my father's
                  young brother.
                  Regards
                  William Leslie