Re: Mary Hay 1891 census

    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 23, 2003
      Hi Robert,

      Robert Jones wrote:

      > Wade,I have been looking at your marriage index and was pleased to
      > find Mary Hay, married to Peter Hay 21/11/65. I have been researching
      > the family backwards and discovered my great-grandfather James Hay
      > (and sister) living at 67B Marischall Street with his mother Mary.
      > His mother had remarried Samuel Stephen and we can verify that she is
      > our Mary Hay. The extract gives her age as 47 yrs and I deduced her
      > d.o.b. as c.1844. This gives me a problem with your Mary Hay born in
      > 1841. Is she the same person? I am not able to find her in any
      > search.Family have always said that she married her cousin Peter Hay
      > but we did not know about his father or his other daughter Elizabeth.
      > Nor did we know anything about the Shand or Taylor family. I am Robert
      > Jones, a teacher in north Wales. My mother was Sim, a Birse family
      > who married Flora Hay, the daughter of James Hay mentioned above at
      > no.67B. I have enjoyed your site and appreciate how accessible it is.
      > It inspires me to do something for my own Welsh side of the family and
      > our people who had to leave the Merionethshire slate mines in the 20s
      > and 30s. Best wishes Robert Jones

      1865 Peterhead Marriages
      No.60, 21/11/1865 Marischal Street, Peter Hay, Pensioner 78th Regt.,
      Bachelor, age 39, of Marischal Street, parents: William Hay, wright
      (dead) and Jean Hay ms Shand (dead) married to Mary Hay, spinster, age
      24, of School House Lonmay, parents: George Hay, stone cutter and Mary
      Hay ms Taylor, witnesses: George S. Robertson and Jean Robertson.

      No.57, 8/11/1865 Marischal Street, Church of Scotland, Alexander Smart,
      Spirit Dealer, age 31, Parish of St.Nicholas, Aberdeen, parents:
      Alexander Smart, farmer (dead) and Elizabeth Smart ms Baillie (dead)
      married to Elizabeth Hay, spinster, age 21, Parish of St.Nicholas,
      Aberdeen, parents: George Hay, Stone-cutter and Mary Hay ms Taylor,
      witnesses John Robertson and Robert Smart.

      Deaths
      No.13, Peter Hay, pensioner (98th Regt) married to Mary Hay, die
      18/01/1873 6h30m am at 13 Kirk Street, male 46 years, parents: William
      Hay, cartwright (dead) and Jane Hay ms Shand (dead), cause: Ulceration
      from gunshot wound ahd for 6 years, Axitis? had for 3 months, informant:
      Jean Thomson?, Cousin, present, 39 Marischal Street.

      Obviously I've transcribed the regiment number wrong in one of the
      records.

      Hope this has helped.