(Peterhead) Catherine

  • george4705@aol.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 22, 2003
      Catherine...You May find "The Whaling Years" Peterhead (1788-1893) by Gavin
      Sutherland very interesting The Polar Star captained by D. Edwin 1857 is
      mentioned. There maybe more I have not finished the book.
      Can be ordered from <A HREF="mailto:m.croll@...">m.croll@...</A>

      george

      Hi group,
      I've been waiting for 3 months for two films to view. One for Slains OPR and
      the other I can't remember it's been so long.
      If I'd known it was going to be this long I would have ordered in other
      films.
      My Forrest's, George who married Margaret Shand were married there then moved
      to Peterhead.
      As soon as the films come in I'll post all the relevant info to do with
      Peterhead.

      Someone else on Angus told about this SCRAN site. It's about 30 pound to
      subscribe but they have a free scan search, very interesting. If you type in
      PETERHEAD it has pictures of Aberdeen, Longside (airship at Longside 1918)
      etc. Even if you type in Dundee, there's still some Aberdeen picutures etc.
      Pictures on both sites of some of the Peterhead made whaling ships that went
      on the 1892-3 Dundee whaling expedition to the Falkland Islands and then to
      investigate the possiblities of whaling at the Antarctic.
      http://www.scran.ac.uk/
      My great grandfather was captain of the Polar Star that went on that
      expedition, James Davidson, born Peterhead.
      Anyone searching the Davidson's, would like to hear from you.

      Best wishes,
      Catherine