Re: family history search

    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 7, 2003
      Hi Aleta,

      Aleta Murray wrote:

      > I am searching for any information onCharles Murray and Mary-Ann
      > (Jop?) Murrayfather and mother of Alexander Forbes Murray born
      > December17,1869 in Boddam, in the parish of Peterhead, in the County
      > of Aberdeen. I have a copy of Alexander's birth certificate.

      No.23, 11/06/1869 Married in Boddam, Church of Scotland, Charles Murray
      mason, bachelor, aged 25, Stirling Vilage, parents: Forbes Murray mason
      and Elizabeth Murray ms Milne married to Mary Ann Joss, spinister, aged
      20, Boddam, parents: Alexander Joss blacksmith and Ann Joss ms Saunders,
      witnesses Forbes Murray and George McRae.

      1851 Peterhead Census
      District 11, Page 4, No.19, Windmill Street
      Ann Joss, head, 40, Peterhead
      Alexander Joss, son, 14, Peterhead
      John Joss, son, 11, Peterhead
      William Joss, son, 9, Peterhead
      Peter Joss, son, 4, Peterhead
      Mary A. Joss, daughter, 1, Peterhead

      1881 Peterhead Census
      District 17, Page 10, 67 Kirk Street
      Alexander Joss, head, 77, Blacksmith, Gamrie, Abd
      Ann Joss, wife, 70, Peterhead
      Ann Joss, grand-daughter, scholar, Peterhead

      Dwelling: 23 Carmelite St
      Census Place: Banff, Banff, Scotland
      Source: FHL Film 0203437 GRO Ref Volume 147 EnumDist 4
      Page 25
      Marr Age Sex Birthplace
      Forbes MURRAY M 74 M Tyrie, Aberdeen, Scotland
      Rel: Head
      Occ: Mason Retired
      Elizabeth MURRAY M 67 F Coull, Aberdeen, Scotland
      Rel: Wife

      Dwelling: 48 Queen Street
      Census Place: Peterhead, Aberdeen, Scotland
      Source: FHL Film 0203464 GRO Ref Volume 232-1 EnumDist 7
      Page 12
      Marr Age Sex Birthplace
      Charles G. MURRAY M 37 M Coul, Aberdeen, Scotland
      Rel: Head
      Occ: Granite Mason
      Isabella C. MURRAY M 39 F Peterhead, Aberdeen, Scotland
      Rel: Wife
      Alexander F. MURRAY 11 M Boddam, Aberdeen, Scotland
      Rel: Son
      Occ: Scholar
      George CRAIGONS U 32 M Perth, Scotland
      Rel: Boarder
      Occ: Tailor
      Andrew BURNETT U 27 M Old Pitsligo, Aberdeen, Scotland
      Rel: Boarder
      Occ: Granite Mason

      It looks like Charles may have remarried, possibly Mary Ann died before
      1881.

      Peterhead Deaths
      No.216, Alexander Joss, seaman merchant service married to Ann Imlah,
      died 27/06/1861 about midnight when being carried to the ship "Union?"
      of Peterhead, male, aged 28 years, parents: Alexander Joss, Blacksmith
      and Ann Joss ms Saunders, cause: Scarvy caused by insufficient food both
      in quantity and quality (no regular medical attendant), informant: James
      Taylor, master formerly mate of the "Alert" of Peterhead. (Note: 3
      others also died of scarvy and frostbite in Cumberland Strait).

      No.11, Joseph Joss, seaman married to Jane Birnie, died 18/1/1871 2h am
      at 15 Jamaica Street, male, aged 38 years, parents: Alexander Joss,
      blacksmith and Ann Joss ms Saunders, cause: not ascertained, about 4
      months, informant: Alex Joss, father, 31 Kirk Street.

      No.87, William Joss, tailor married to Helen Reid, died 21/05/1873 1h30m
      am at Maiden Street, male. aged 31 years, parents: Alexander Joss,
      blacksmith, and Ann Joss ms Saunders, cause: a) Scrofula unknown, b)
      Abdominal glands, informant: Alexander Joss, father, present: 31 Kirk
      Street.