The Hillock

  • Carolyn Morrisey
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 17, 2003
      I have a newspaper cutting from the Buchan Observer (18/4/1995) which
      contains information about an ancestor of mine, George Baird. In it is
      the following passage: On marriage (in 1852), George and Jessie
      (Henderson) acquired a croft in The Hillock.
      Can anyone help me with the location of The Hillock? I haven't been
      able to find it on a map of the area. Before his marriage George lived
      in Buchanhaven and Jessie at Inverugie.
      Thanks,
      Carolyn
    • Mmm16dav@aol.com
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 18, 2003
        The Hillock was and is the area on North Street at the top of old Roanheads-
        the street going down from the Hillock runs parallel to the Burnie Streetie -
        Great Stuart Street. The houses there were built around 1864 so the area you
        are looking for could very possibly have had a croft there at one time.

        Margie

      • Carolyn Morrisey
        Message 3 of 3 , Jan 19, 2003
          Thanks to those people who were kind enough to help me with my enquiry
          regarding "The Hillock". The North Street solution is very interesting
          to me. George Baird and other members of the family lived in North
          Street - at various addresses - 14, 31A, 9 and 8 from at least 1871. My
          grandmother, George Baird's grandaughter, sold number 8 after the
          Second World War.
          Margie, thanks for your wonderful information. Not being a local, I
          have to rely on maps a great deal - a 1901 Ordnance Survey map and one
          from the 1970s. I found Great Stuart Street on the latter, but can't
          find Burnie Street. Is it "below" Great Stuart Street - ie between it
          and Brook Lane? Would you happen to know if the houses are numbered
          from the Longate end of North Street?
          Once again, thanks for the help.
          Cheers,
          Carolyn