Re: [Peterhead] Forrest

  • Cvj
    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 16, 2003
      Hi Jim, how are you.
      Thanks for your message and details of the Forrest's your looking for.
      Welcome to 'Club' of the Forrest mystery.
      You would think that there being so little of them in Peterhead it would be
      easy to solve.

      My Forrest family originated in Slains, George Forrest married Margaret
      Shand. About 1799-1800 they moved to Peterhead, that I can make out.

      There are other Forrest's on the OPR who are either being born or married
      and that's the end of their life, so to speak.
      There's two Barbara Forrest's who married. John Kidd in 1825. and Alexander
      Ingles 1830.
      But there's no births for either of these Barbara's on the IGI. (This is
      only an example)
      Have you thought there might be no records, I can't find a birth for my gg
      grandfather.

      The census ages I know what you mean, my gg granny was 65 in 1891 and 79 in
      1901.

      I could'nt access your Allan site, the only one that opened was the Aberdeen
      one.

      With Margaret Forrest, you would'nt know her parents name. Was she born in
      Peterhead.

      I'm going to Malaysia tomorrow (Friday) for a week, and I've got the OPR
      still on hire but only for two nights, would you like me to have a look at
      the Margaret Forrest's and Catherine, or have you already done this.

      I wish I could offer you more info than this, but you've done an excellent
      job of research on what you've told me.

      Please tell me about the OPR if you would like anything, and I'll be back by
      the 25th Jan.

      Best wishes,
      Catherine
    • usstweedy <aabondanza@aol.Com>
      Message 2 of 6 , Jan 16, 2003
        Hello again Catherine

        Thank you for the offer of the OPR lookup. However I been through
        them so many times that I'm starting to think of everyone in
        Peterhead as my family. The last time I look at the 1851 census I
        wrote everything down except for the birth place of Margaret Forrest.
        So much for doing good research.

        If I come up with anything on the Forrest clan I will let you know.

        Regards
        Jim
      • usstweedy
        Message 3 of 6 , Jun 3, 2003
          Catherine

          In the 1851 census Margaret forrest is listed as being born in
          Peterhead. The problem with that is in the 1801 Peterhead census
          there are five families of Forrest's

          There is also a Catherine Forrest who married William Allan in 1824,
          Peterhead. Again there is no record of her birth. Catherine died in
          Peterhead in 1871 and her parents are listed as Peter Forrest and
          Ketren Grieve. Do you have any info on these Forrest's?

          Regards
          Jim
        • Alex Ritchie
          Message 4 of 6 , Jun 3, 2003
            Ref. your Forrest research :

            William Allan (Born c1800) was the son of John Allan (Flax-dresser & Weaver)
            & Elizabeth Bruce.
            (He was a Shipmaster)
            He married Catherine Forrest, daughter of Peter Forrest (Carter) & Catherine
            Grieve on Jan.22nd.1824
            Catherine died on October 5th.1871 (Aged 73) (Death Certificate : 232(Entry
            168)
            He died March 26th.1872 (Aged 72), buried in Lair A228 (Old Cemetery, Phd).

            There is also a William Allan (Born August 17th.1823) son of John Allan
            (Seaman) & Margaret Forrest
            (This William Allan was also a Shipmaster)
            He married Helen Wallace on November 13th.1845. She died March 5th.1905
            (Aged 81)
            William Allan died Jan.30th.1905 (Aged 81), both buried in Lair D14 (Old
            Cemetery, Phd)

            Hope this is of some interest......................Alex Ritchie

            > In the 1851 census Margaret forrest is listed as being born in
            > Peterhead. The problem with that is in the 1801 Peterhead census
            > there are five families of Forrest's
            >
            > There is also a Catherine Forrest who married William Allan in 1824,
            > Peterhead. Again there is no record of her birth. Catherine died in
            > Peterhead in 1871 and her parents are listed as Peter Forrest and
            > Ketren Grieve. Do you have any info on these Forrest's?
            >
            > Regards
            > Jim

          • CCI
            Message 5 of 6 , Jun 3, 2003
              Hi Jim,
              Alex has given an answer to you with more info than I could give. Thank's Alex.
              This is what I have;

              On the 1801 census Peter Forrest is living at 142 North Shore, and there is a birth for him about 1770 but no place stated. The recent Forrest records I posted were from Ancestry.com and when I typed in Peter Forrest only records of him as a witness came up, and only in the first quarter of the 1800's.

              For a Catherine Grieve I have her birth as about 1804 but I don't know where about.
              I took off the 1841 census all the Forrest's I could find and Peter was'nt among them unless I missed him or he was dead.

              Wish I could tell you more.
              Best wishes,
              Catherine