Forrest

  • usstweedy <aabondanza@aol.Com>
    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 15, 2003
      Hello Catherine

      I have two Forrest in my family and both are giving me problems.
      First, my G-G-grandmother Margaret Forrest. She married John Allan
      August 3. 1818 in Peterhead and she died June 4, 1852 at the age of
      62. Now that would make her born abt. 1790. However in the 1841
      census her age is given as 40, making her born abt. 1801 and in the
      1851 her age is 57 making her born abt. 1794. Yes I know, your
      thinking they must be different Margaret's, I wish that were true but
      it is not.

      Now the thing is that I can find a Margaret Forrest born at all the
      above dates, but have no idea which is the right one. HELP!
      In the 1801 census of Peterhead there is only one family of Allan's
      and they are living at 378 St Peters Lane. Living next door at 379 St
      Peters Lane is a family of Forrest. I have no idea what this means
      but I thought I would put it in anyway.
      I think it is very inconsiderate of my G-G-grandmother to give these
      problems, after all we are family.

      Next I have a Catherine Forrest who married William Allan January 22,
      1824, Peterhead. She died October 5, 1871 at the age of 73, at 23
      James St. Peterhead. Parents are Peter Forrest and Ketern Grieve. I
      have not been able to find Catherine's birth record.
      In the 1801 census there is a family of Forrest living at 142 North
      Shore and the head of the household is Peter Forrest, At this address
      there is only one family and it consists of two males and six females.

      If you care to look, I have a web site "Allan's of Peterhead"
      http://www.angelfire.com/ny4/peterhead.

      Regards
      Jim Allan
    • Cvj
      Message 2 of 6 , Jan 16, 2003
        Hi Jim, how are you.
        Thanks for your message and details of the Forrest's your looking for.
        Welcome to 'Club' of the Forrest mystery.
        You would think that there being so little of them in Peterhead it would be
        easy to solve.

        My Forrest family originated in Slains, George Forrest married Margaret
        Shand. About 1799-1800 they moved to Peterhead, that I can make out.

        There are other Forrest's on the OPR who are either being born or married
        and that's the end of their life, so to speak.
        There's two Barbara Forrest's who married. John Kidd in 1825. and Alexander
        Ingles 1830.
        But there's no births for either of these Barbara's on the IGI. (This is
        only an example)
        Have you thought there might be no records, I can't find a birth for my gg
        grandfather.

        The census ages I know what you mean, my gg granny was 65 in 1891 and 79 in
        1901.

        I could'nt access your Allan site, the only one that opened was the Aberdeen
        one.

        With Margaret Forrest, you would'nt know her parents name. Was she born in
        Peterhead.

        I'm going to Malaysia tomorrow (Friday) for a week, and I've got the OPR
        still on hire but only for two nights, would you like me to have a look at
        the Margaret Forrest's and Catherine, or have you already done this.

        I wish I could offer you more info than this, but you've done an excellent
        job of research on what you've told me.

        Please tell me about the OPR if you would like anything, and I'll be back by
        the 25th Jan.

        Best wishes,
        Catherine
      • usstweedy <aabondanza@aol.Com>
        Message 3 of 6 , Jan 16, 2003
          Hello again Catherine

          Thank you for the offer of the OPR lookup. However I been through
          them so many times that I'm starting to think of everyone in
          Peterhead as my family. The last time I look at the 1851 census I
          wrote everything down except for the birth place of Margaret Forrest.
          So much for doing good research.

          If I come up with anything on the Forrest clan I will let you know.

          Regards
          Jim
        • usstweedy
          Message 4 of 6 , Jun 3, 2003
            Catherine

            In the 1851 census Margaret forrest is listed as being born in
            Peterhead. The problem with that is in the 1801 Peterhead census
            there are five families of Forrest's

            There is also a Catherine Forrest who married William Allan in 1824,
            Peterhead. Again there is no record of her birth. Catherine died in
            Peterhead in 1871 and her parents are listed as Peter Forrest and
            Ketren Grieve. Do you have any info on these Forrest's?

            Regards
            Jim
          • Alex Ritchie
            Message 5 of 6 , Jun 3, 2003
              Ref. your Forrest research :

              William Allan (Born c1800) was the son of John Allan (Flax-dresser & Weaver)
              & Elizabeth Bruce.
              (He was a Shipmaster)
              He married Catherine Forrest, daughter of Peter Forrest (Carter) & Catherine
              Grieve on Jan.22nd.1824
              Catherine died on October 5th.1871 (Aged 73) (Death Certificate : 232(Entry
              168)
              He died March 26th.1872 (Aged 72), buried in Lair A228 (Old Cemetery, Phd).

              There is also a William Allan (Born August 17th.1823) son of John Allan
              (Seaman) & Margaret Forrest
              (This William Allan was also a Shipmaster)
              He married Helen Wallace on November 13th.1845. She died March 5th.1905
              (Aged 81)
              William Allan died Jan.30th.1905 (Aged 81), both buried in Lair D14 (Old
              Cemetery, Phd)

              Hope this is of some interest......................Alex Ritchie

              > In the 1851 census Margaret forrest is listed as being born in
              > Peterhead. The problem with that is in the 1801 Peterhead census
              > there are five families of Forrest's
              >
              > There is also a Catherine Forrest who married William Allan in 1824,
              > Peterhead. Again there is no record of her birth. Catherine died in
              > Peterhead in 1871 and her parents are listed as Peter Forrest and
              > Ketren Grieve. Do you have any info on these Forrest's?
              >
              > Regards
              > Jim

            • CCI
              Message 6 of 6 , Jun 3, 2003
                Hi Jim,
                Alex has given an answer to you with more info than I could give. Thank's Alex.
                This is what I have;

                On the 1801 census Peter Forrest is living at 142 North Shore, and there is a birth for him about 1770 but no place stated. The recent Forrest records I posted were from Ancestry.com and when I typed in Peter Forrest only records of him as a witness came up, and only in the first quarter of the 1800's.

                For a Catherine Grieve I have her birth as about 1804 but I don't know where about.
                I took off the 1841 census all the Forrest's I could find and Peter was'nt among them unless I missed him or he was dead.

                Wish I could tell you more.
                Best wishes,
                Catherine