Rattray Head History

  • Rob Keeble <rob@rattrayhead.net>
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 9, 2003
      Dear group,

      I have recently moved home to the lighthouse cottages at Rattray
      Head where I run a lttle B&B and tearoom with my partner Val
      Porter. While planning our website, we decided to add a little
      local information for our guests; details about the Rattray family
      history, the old Royal Burgh of Rattray and St Mary's Chapel,
      Seatown (known locally as Botany), Rattray Head lighthouse, the
      shipwrecks, the seal colony, infact all sorts of stuff to do with
      Rattray Head.

      It occurred to me that I might find something of interest if I
      joined the Fraserburgh and Peterhead groups and checked out the
      messages. I have done this and found a few references to Botany and
      a short-lived fishing village called Drumlinnie just South of
      Rattray Head. It's a shame that I don't have anything to contribute
      myself, although if my research enables my site to grow, hopefully
      there may be something useful to you in the future.

      I wouldn't want to re-invent the wheel or indeed upset somebody if
      they have already put a lot of effort into such a site of their
      own. So, if anyone knows of good sources for Rattray Head
      information I would be very grateful if you would let me know.

      Cheers for now.
      Rob
    • dmatt
      Message 2 of 2 , Jan 9, 2003
        Rob,

        I have recently moved home to the lighthouse cottages at Rattray
        >Head where I run a lttle B&B and tearoom with my partner Val
        >Porter. While planning our website, we decided to add a little
        >local information for our guests; details about the Rattray family
        >history, the old Royal Burgh of Rattray and St Mary's Chapel,
        >Seatown (known locally as Botany), Rattray Head lighthouse, the
        >shipwrecks, the seal colony, infact all sorts of stuff to do with
        >Rattray Head.
        >
        >It occurred to me that I might find something of interest if I
        >joined the Fraserburgh and Peterhead groups and checked out the
        >messages. I have done this and found a few references to Botany and
        >a short-lived fishing village called Drumlinnie just South of
        >Rattray Head. It's a shame that I don't have anything to contribute
        >myself, although if my research enables my site to grow, hopefully
        >there may be something useful to you in the future.
        >
        >I wouldn't want to re-invent the wheel or indeed upset somebody if
        >they have already put a lot of effort into such a site of their
        >own. So, if anyone knows of good sources for Rattray Head
        >information I would be very grateful if you would let me know.

        If you go to the National Archives of Scotland website
        (http://www.nas.gov.uk) there is a section called 'fact sheets' which
        includes lighthouses, I think that Rattray was run by the Northern Scotland
        Lighthouse service.

        David