Betty Holmes re Ogston

  • Ivo
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 7, 2003
      Hi Betty, thanks for your message and info.
      As I read the start of your message I thought John Ogston had remarried in 1824 to M. Calder and would'nt that have been the solution.
      But yes it now looks like there are two John Ogston's, and going through my OPR notes there were some other Ogston's around the time 1823-4 also getting married and having kids.
      I think? all these following entries are related to your Ogston's as most of them have an Anderson witness.

      23-8-1824
      John Ogston, sailor, a daughter baptised and named Elizabeth.
      before James Anderson and Robert Ogston.

      10-10-1824
      Robert Ogston, farmer in Peterhead, a daughter baptised and named Elizabeth.
      before Robert and James Ogston.

      4-7-1826
      Robert Ogston, farmer in Peterhead, a son baptised and named John.
      before John Anderson and Donald Fraser.

      1-10-1826
      James Ogston, brewer in Peterhead, had a son baptised and named Alexander.
      before John Campbell and William Robertson.

      19-11-1826
      John Ogston, shipmaster in Peterhead had a daughter baptised and named Catherine Ann.
      before George Anderson and Robert Ogston.

      7-8-1829
      John Ogston, shipmaster in Peterhead had a son baptised and named John.
      before John Anderson and William Ogston.

      21-12-1829
      Robert Ogston ???? in Damhead had a daughter baptised and named Ann.
      before John Anderson and James Ogston.

      27-11-1831
      William Ogston, shipmaster in Peterhead had a daughter baptised and named Helen.
      before John Birnie and John Ogston.

      6-8-1831
      John Ogston, shipmaster in Peterhead had a son baptised and named Robert.
      before John Anderson and Keith Forbes.

      John Ogston, shipmaster in Peterhead had a son baptised and named George Anderson.
      before John Anderson and Keith Forbes.

      On Margaret Ogston's MS Calder's death cert, her husband is listed as a Cooper, as in the OPR entry for a Joan Ogston's birth in 1831.
      23-1-1831
      John Ogston, Cooper in Peterhead had a daughter baptised and named Joan.
      before George Steven and William Ross.
      But on Joan Ogston/Davidson/Bain's death cert her father is listed as a seaman. Maybe he did both. Were cooper's needed on the ships in those days.
      I'll send over all I have, maybe something is looking me in the face and I can't see it, connection wise.
      Best wishes,
      Catherine Cvjetkovic
      197 Anzac Terrace
      Bassnedean, 6054