Re: [Peterhead] Betty Holmes re Ogston

  • Dr. Elizabeth B. Holmes
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 6, 2003
      Hi Catherine, I was on the GRO for Scotland Web site most of Yesterday,
      so did a bit more this a.m. with some left over credits.
      FIRST-I was struck by Joan Ogston/Davidson/Bain's mother's Surname on
      her death Certificate-CALDER. The mother I have for Joan Ogston is
      Williamina ANDERSON.
      Todays searches:-1.GRO site There are 2 marriages for a John OGSTON in
      Peterhead. 1823 to Wilhelmina ANDERSON
      1824 to Margaret CALDER
      2. IGI Both marriages are there but only one set of
      children, no mother specified!!
      I put them to Wilhelmina Anderson as one child is George ANDERSON OGSTON
      the others are Elizabeth b.1824 John b.1829 Catherine B. 1826 Robert
      b.1831 & Joan b.1831.There are others from the 1841 & 1851
      censii-William, Margaret & Amelia.Also I have the Lair Records from Alex
      Ritchie.
      It therefore seems to me that we have 2 seperate families??
      John Ogston & Margaret Calder yours -the death certificate of Joan
      Bain/Davidson/Ogston seems to confirm this-and-
      John Ogston & Williamina Anderson are in my family tree.
      One other little detail-the John Ogston in our line is usually referred
      to as a Ship's Master, though he would have been a seaman earlier in
      life.
      Those are my observations on our information Catherine.
      I'm sure any corrections/comments from other list members would also be
      welcome-Alex-Wade et al???? Betty.
    • Ivo
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 7, 2003
        Hi Betty, thanks for your message and info.
        As I read the start of your message I thought John Ogston had remarried in 1824 to M. Calder and would'nt that have been the solution.
        But yes it now looks like there are two John Ogston's, and going through my OPR notes there were some other Ogston's around the time 1823-4 also getting married and having kids.
        I think? all these following entries are related to your Ogston's as most of them have an Anderson witness.

        23-8-1824
        John Ogston, sailor, a daughter baptised and named Elizabeth.
        before James Anderson and Robert Ogston.

        10-10-1824
        Robert Ogston, farmer in Peterhead, a daughter baptised and named Elizabeth.
        before Robert and James Ogston.

        4-7-1826
        Robert Ogston, farmer in Peterhead, a son baptised and named John.
        before John Anderson and Donald Fraser.

        1-10-1826
        James Ogston, brewer in Peterhead, had a son baptised and named Alexander.
        before John Campbell and William Robertson.

        19-11-1826
        John Ogston, shipmaster in Peterhead had a daughter baptised and named Catherine Ann.
        before George Anderson and Robert Ogston.

        7-8-1829
        John Ogston, shipmaster in Peterhead had a son baptised and named John.
        before John Anderson and William Ogston.

        21-12-1829
        Robert Ogston ???? in Damhead had a daughter baptised and named Ann.
        before John Anderson and James Ogston.

        27-11-1831
        William Ogston, shipmaster in Peterhead had a daughter baptised and named Helen.
        before John Birnie and John Ogston.

        6-8-1831
        John Ogston, shipmaster in Peterhead had a son baptised and named Robert.
        before John Anderson and Keith Forbes.

        John Ogston, shipmaster in Peterhead had a son baptised and named George Anderson.
        before John Anderson and Keith Forbes.

        On Margaret Ogston's MS Calder's death cert, her husband is listed as a Cooper, as in the OPR entry for a Joan Ogston's birth in 1831.
        23-1-1831
        John Ogston, Cooper in Peterhead had a daughter baptised and named Joan.
        before George Steven and William Ross.
        But on Joan Ogston/Davidson/Bain's death cert her father is listed as a seaman. Maybe he did both. Were cooper's needed on the ships in those days.
        I'll send over all I have, maybe something is looking me in the face and I can't see it, connection wise.
        Best wishes,
        Catherine Cvjetkovic
        197 Anzac Terrace
        Bassnedean, 6054