Betty Holmes re Ogston

  • Ivo
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 5, 2003
      Hi Betty, thanks for you letter.

      John Davidson married Joan Ogston, 3rd Nov 1850, Peterhead
      children;
      James c 5th Oct 1852 (my great granda) I have his marriage cert.
      David c 12th June 1854
      John c ?, died 30th Sept 1858 age 11 months, cause Marasmus
      John c 11 Sept 1859, died 1861 age 2 years, cause Glossitis?
      John Barclay c 10th Jan 1864
      Joseph c 15th April 1867
      William Hogg c 12th June 1870, died 1870 age 1 week, cause (can't read on cert)
      Maria c 12th April 1872

      John Barclay Davidson married Barbara Baird 1893
      Joseph Davidson married Catherine (Kate) Butler 29th Sept 1897

      Everything matches with my Ogston's to your husband's EXCEPT by 1881 on the census Joan Davidson ms Ogston had remarried and is Joan Bain, and on her death cert she has different parents, John Ogston, seaman, and Margaret Calder. (see below)
      She is living at 12 Union Street, Peterhead
      Joan Bain, Head, mar, 47, F, Aberdour, Aberdeen
      John Davidson, son, seaman, U, 17, M, Peterhead
      Joseph Davidson, son, scholar, U, 14, M, Peterhead
      Maria Davidson, dau, scholar, 8, F, Peterhead

      The man Joan married is living as a boarder at 57a Longate, Peterhead
      Alexr Mearns, Head, shoemaker, U, 37, M, Aberdeen, Aberdeen
      Mary Mearns, mother, W, 61, F, England
      Sarah Mearns, sister, U, 21, F, Peterhead
      Jane Chapman, neice, 2, F, Peterhead
      James Bain, boarder, shoemaker, M, 34, Mar, Huntly, Aberdeen

      JOAN BAIN (Ogston, Davidson) death cert.
      Joan Bain, widow of;
      John Davidson, joiner
      James Bain, shoemaker
      when and where death; 1920 23rd Feb 10hr P.M.
      The Parish House Peterhead. Usual resd 8 Union Street, Peterhead
      sex, F
      age, 89 years
      informant, Governor of Parish Home
      father, John Ogston, seaman **********
      mother, Margaret Ogston MS Calder **********

      JAMES BAIN death cert.
      James Bain, shoemaker
      married to Johann Ogston
      died 1886 Oct 12th, 8 Kirk Sreet, Peterhead
      informant, Inspector of the Poor.

      On Joan's daughter Maria's birth on the IGI she is Joanna Ogston.

      Betty what do you think? Is your Joan Ogston the same as this Joan Ogston/Davidson/Bain.
      If you would like me to photocopy all that I have and send it to you, I don't mind, just send your home address.
      Please tell me what you think.
      Best wishes,
      Catherine

    • Dr. Elizabeth B. Holmes
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 6, 2003
        Hi Catherine, I was on the GRO for Scotland Web site most of Yesterday,
        so did a bit more this a.m. with some left over credits.
        FIRST-I was struck by Joan Ogston/Davidson/Bain's mother's Surname on
        her death Certificate-CALDER. The mother I have for Joan Ogston is
        Williamina ANDERSON.
        Todays searches:-1.GRO site There are 2 marriages for a John OGSTON in
        Peterhead. 1823 to Wilhelmina ANDERSON
        1824 to Margaret CALDER
        2. IGI Both marriages are there but only one set of
        children, no mother specified!!
        I put them to Wilhelmina Anderson as one child is George ANDERSON OGSTON
        the others are Elizabeth b.1824 John b.1829 Catherine B. 1826 Robert
        b.1831 & Joan b.1831.There are others from the 1841 & 1851
        censii-William, Margaret & Amelia.Also I have the Lair Records from Alex
        Ritchie.
        It therefore seems to me that we have 2 seperate families??
        John Ogston & Margaret Calder yours -the death certificate of Joan
        Bain/Davidson/Ogston seems to confirm this-and-
        John Ogston & Williamina Anderson are in my family tree.
        One other little detail-the John Ogston in our line is usually referred
        to as a Ship's Master, though he would have been a seaman earlier in
        life.
        Those are my observations on our information Catherine.
        I'm sure any corrections/comments from other list members would also be
        welcome-Alex-Wade et al???? Betty.
      • Ivo
        Message 3 of 3 , Jan 7, 2003
          Hi Betty, thanks for your message and info.
          As I read the start of your message I thought John Ogston had remarried in 1824 to M. Calder and would'nt that have been the solution.
          But yes it now looks like there are two John Ogston's, and going through my OPR notes there were some other Ogston's around the time 1823-4 also getting married and having kids.
          I think? all these following entries are related to your Ogston's as most of them have an Anderson witness.

          23-8-1824
          John Ogston, sailor, a daughter baptised and named Elizabeth.
          before James Anderson and Robert Ogston.

          10-10-1824
          Robert Ogston, farmer in Peterhead, a daughter baptised and named Elizabeth.
          before Robert and James Ogston.

          4-7-1826
          Robert Ogston, farmer in Peterhead, a son baptised and named John.
          before John Anderson and Donald Fraser.

          1-10-1826
          James Ogston, brewer in Peterhead, had a son baptised and named Alexander.
          before John Campbell and William Robertson.

          19-11-1826
          John Ogston, shipmaster in Peterhead had a daughter baptised and named Catherine Ann.
          before George Anderson and Robert Ogston.

          7-8-1829
          John Ogston, shipmaster in Peterhead had a son baptised and named John.
          before John Anderson and William Ogston.

          21-12-1829
          Robert Ogston ???? in Damhead had a daughter baptised and named Ann.
          before John Anderson and James Ogston.

          27-11-1831
          William Ogston, shipmaster in Peterhead had a daughter baptised and named Helen.
          before John Birnie and John Ogston.

          6-8-1831
          John Ogston, shipmaster in Peterhead had a son baptised and named Robert.
          before John Anderson and Keith Forbes.

          John Ogston, shipmaster in Peterhead had a son baptised and named George Anderson.
          before John Anderson and Keith Forbes.

          On Margaret Ogston's MS Calder's death cert, her husband is listed as a Cooper, as in the OPR entry for a Joan Ogston's birth in 1831.
          23-1-1831
          John Ogston, Cooper in Peterhead had a daughter baptised and named Joan.
          before George Steven and William Ross.
          But on Joan Ogston/Davidson/Bain's death cert her father is listed as a seaman. Maybe he did both. Were cooper's needed on the ships in those days.
          I'll send over all I have, maybe something is looking me in the face and I can't see it, connection wise.
          Best wishes,
          Catherine Cvjetkovic
          197 Anzac Terrace
          Bassnedean, 6054