Davidson

  • Dr. Elizabeth B. Holmes
    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 5, 2003
      I have mistakenly deleted the recent message re a family who had a
      daughter Joan Ogston Davidson. Please send it to me again as I may have
      a connection. Betty.
    • Fiona
      Message 2 of 6 , Sep 16, 2003
        Hi,
        I too have a Davidson kin from Peterhead that I would like to find out
        more of her ancestry, her descendants I have made a lot of headway
        with.
        Janet Davidson born 1794 in Crimond, daughter of William Davidson and
        janet Creighton,
        On her death certificate Father is given as Crofter
        Janet had a chequered life and probably hard, My Granddad called her
        "Black Janet"
        She first appears in the Kirk Sessions as an unmarried mother, the
        father James McConnel (a ships Captain) had left the district and her
        holding the baby, she then married Robert Stephen a Seaman from Boddam
        in 1822 at Peterhead on various certificates he is also described as a
        whitefisher and Harbour pilot
        She had three further children to him, Robert (married Ann Cordiner),
        Elizabeth (married Robert Birnie) and Agnes Mitchell (married John
        McWilliam), her husband died before 1851 leaving her alone
        In the 1851 census, I think I may have found her at 57, Ronheads,
        Peterhead as a Lodging house keeper, an occupation she kept when she
        moved to Aberdeen when her daughter Agnes Mitchell Stephen married
        John McWilliam.
        In the same house there was a Charles Davidson UNM lodger age22 a
        joiner born Rathven, also a George Davidson UNM age 19 a blacksmith
        born Peterhead
        Also a John Greig UNM age 18 a shoemaker from ?Ellon
        These although classed as Lodgers I feel may have been related to her,
        any leads appreciated any connections leapt upon

        Regards,
        Fiona,
        Homepage
        domain name: poulton.info
        pages at: familyhistory
      • Diana Beatty
        Message 3 of 6 , Nov 2, 2005
          I have a gr grandfather Alexander Davidson from Peterhead area, Aberdeenshire, Scotland.
          Born Jan 15/1821, Aberdeenshire,
          He married Jean (Jane) Valentine',b March 23,1830 Aberdeenshire.
          Jean Christened April 1/1830 Chapel of Garioch, Aberdeen Scotland. Daughter of John Valentine, and Jean Henderson.
          Alexander and Jean were married April 1/1854 in
          Ellon Aberdeenshire . They then emigrated to Canada. They lived in Woodstock Ontario.
          Alexander died Sept.9 1910, in Woodstock, Ont.
          Jean died Aug 28/ 1895 Woodstock.
          both buried Knox Presbyterian Cemetary, Woodstock
          Children-
          George Davidson-b Oct 15,1870,d Sept19/1940 Woodstock
          John(Jack) " b Apr2. 1863
          Henry Alexander (Harry) bNov.27 1866, d Colorado Springs, El Paso, Colorado
          Jessie(Mrs. Henry Nelems) " b May 26, 1856, d Sept 20,1928
          Helen,(Mrs. Fred McBrien) b Aug 3 1868 d 1960? Michigan
          Elspeth Ann( Mrs Louis F. Ludwig) b Sept.3 1861, d1946 Maple City Michigan
          Jane (Mrs.David A. Kay) b.Nov.14,1854

          My mother was Jean Valentine Davidson daughter of George Davidson and Nellie Rapson
          Diana Beatty

        • Arthur
          Message 4 of 6 , Feb 20, 2006
            Hi all,

            Greetings from Kakanui, New Zealand, my Grand-mother on my mothers side was a Davidson. Recently I have been sorting through boxes and came across some papers on the DAVIDSON's and was wondering if anyone else was involved in the same family research.

            Jessie Ann DAVIDSON arrived in New Zealand between 1910 and 1912 and in 1913 married a Bruce ROBERTSON in New Plymouth.

            Jessie Ann was born 11 Feb 1879 in Strichen. Her parents were William DAVIDSON and Jane ANDERSON m 3 December 1858, Fetterangus, Old Deer.

            William's parents were Lewis DAVIDSON and Janet WALKER

            On marriage certificate are two witnesses - A.DAVIDSON and Jane DAVIDSON. A Davidson is Alexander DAVIDSON who arrived in New Zealand about 1866 from Scotland. His place of birth was Peterhead 11 Feb 1840. Parents were Lewis DAVIDSON and Janet WALKER.

            Death Certificate of Lewis DAVIDSON shows he was a Crofter and that he died on 16 September 1888 at 17 Constitution Street, Peterhead and Janet's death also shows she died at the same address 23 July 1888.

            The parents of the above Lewis were Lewis DAVIDSON and Margaret BIRNIE m 28 August 1794 Old Deer.

            Jane DAVIDSON mentioned above as a witness at the marriage of Jessie Ann and Bruce ROBERTSON was born about 1868 in Kaiapoi, NZ, her parents were John DAVIDSON and Mary REID. Jane was living in New Plymouth with Alexander DAVIDSON and his wife Mary SKENE and she died in New Plymouth and is buried in the same plot as Alexander and Mary.

            The Headstone reads as follows " In loving memory of Alexander DAVIDSON died 2nd March 1922 aged 81 years. Also of his wife Mary DAVIDSON died 5th April 1922 aged 80 years. Both natives of Peterhead, Scotland. Though lost to sight, to memory dear. Also their neice Jane DAVIDSON died 10th April 1941"

            I would appreciate it if there is anyone who can give me any information about this family.

            Many thanks

            Arthur De Maine
            18 Chambers Street,
            Kakanui ORD-14
            Oamaru
            New Zealand

            ph (03) 439-5882

            e-mail A.B.D@...

          • Cci
            Message 5 of 6 , Feb 21, 2006
              Hi Arthur,
              How are you.
              I found 4 references to Lewis Davidson, in Peterhead.

              Lewis Davidson, Labourer in Peterhead a son Alexander
              born 11-2-1840 bap 29-2-1840
              before Peter Sutherland and John Troup

              Lewis Davidson, Labourer in Peterhead a son Willian
              bap 10-4-1835
              before William Baird and James Grant

              Lewis Davidson, Labourer in Peterhead a dau
              born 18-3-1839 bap 20-4-1839 (no name)
              before John Troup and John Robb

              James Main, Labourer in Peterhead a dau Barbara
              bap 20-3-1836
              before James Grant and Lewis Davidson

              Peter Sutherland (in Peterhead) and William Baird (in Buckanhaven) were also Labourer's.
              If I find anything else, I'll post it to you.
              Best wishes,
              Catherine
              Perth, Western Australia

              Message 6 of 6 , Feb 22, 2006
                Hi Catherine,

                Many thanks for the posting re my Davidsons, Peterhead.

                William is my Grandmother's father and Alexander is the one that arrived out
                to New Plymouth, NZ.

                Daughter no name is one I will have to investigate.

                Once again many thanks.

                Regards
                Arthur