Re: [Peterhead] Holidays

  • 2Barbara Croker
    Message 1 of 6 , Dec 23, 2002
      Hi Bruce,
      Got your Christmas message, and a Merry Christmas to you too; and of course
      all other members reading this. Your name (Milne) caught my attention, and
      the fact that you are in "beautiful downtown Toronto", and "banana belt" and
      "golf" - and I was wondering if this is Toronto near Newcastle, Australia,
      or Toronto in Canada (which could hardly be called a 'banana belt' could it?
      I live near Toronto, Newcastle, and I'm researching the Milne's from
      Peterhead and not getting very far, apart from one marriage. I know there
      are a lot of them, but there's just a chance there is a connection. I would
      be interested to hear from you,
      Barbara

      http://join.msn.com/?page=features/virus&xAPID=42&PS=47575&PI=7324&DI=7474&SU=
      http://www.hotmail.msn.com/cgi-bin/getmsg&HL=1216hotmailtaglines_virusprotection_3mf
    • Bruce Milne
      Message 2 of 6 , Dec 25, 2002
        And Hi Barbara,

        Sorry to say I mislead you.....by "banana belt" I was referring to the
        inexplicably warm weather we were having here in Toronto, Ontario, Canada.
        Warm that is until today......we got ouselves a really white Christmas with
        about fifteen centimeters of snow and it is blowing and cold on top of it
        all. Needless to say the kids love it.

        My

        Parents were both born in Peterhead (actualy Buchanhaven0 and immigrated to
        Canada and then to Niagara Falls, New York where I grew up. I moved here
        to Toronto ( ninety miles away, across Lake Ontario) whenm I married a
        Canadian.

        My paternal grandffather was born David but they called him Jim (don't ask)
        and grandmother was Margaret Bruce (hence my name). My father had three
        brothers James, Jon, and William ( all deceased) and four sisters one of
        whom, Auntie Chris is a live and well living by herself in Aberdeen.

        My cousin, Margie Cowe, is doing our family tree with the assistance of
        Aunt Chris and should be done with it soon. I can put you on the list if
        you wish.

        In the interim, Merrry Christmas and have a great hogmanay.
      • 2Barbara Croker
        Message 3 of 6 , Jan 7, 2003
          Hi Bruce
          Hope you had a great hogmanay too.
          My great-greatmother was a Christian MILNE, born 1841 in Peterhead to
          Alexander MILNE and Grizzel (Grace) DAVIDSON (married 1827). Christian's
          siblings were Margaret, b.1828, Alexander, b.1836 and James b.1839. ( dont
          know about any others). Their mother, Grizzel was dead (or not in the home)
          by the time of the 1851 census. Alexander was probably born 1802, and his
          probable parents were Thomas MILNE and Margaret MURISON (MOORISON) (m.1798).
          Christian's brother,James MILNE. married Elizabeth STEWART in 1959.
          Witnesses were John Gearnside and John Morrison. Does any of this help find
          a connection.
          Hope it's still snowing! Instead of skiing or skating, my sons are
          sailboarding, sailing and swimming - it's very hot here.
          Regards, Barbara

          Message 4 of 6 , Jan 7, 2003
            Glad your hogmanay was enjoyable. I trust your shtood saber...shtoed
            seber......shtayed soober.......you know what I mean. And why I say
            that...I don't know.....we didn't !!!!!!!!!

            Just one question....did you reallly mean 1959?

            Regards,

            Bruce