Re: [Peterhead] List of names in Inventory of Personal Estate

    Message 1 of 6 , Dec 3, 2002
      Hi Margie,

      Mmm16dav@... wrote:

      > Saw this reply referring to Strachans - which Strachan wills are
      > there?
      > Also will you have a look at Strachan - in Roanheads I presume -
      > not sure
      > of the parents names - as usual they are referred to as Grun or Dide
      > and no
      > one has a clue.
      >
      > The family I am looking for had a Margaret middle name Lind, a Mary,
      > an
      > Adam, a George, an Alec and a Peter- Dowds came into his name
      > somewhere but
      > I don't even know the order they were in. I know one of the sons was
      > killed
      > in the First World War so that gives an approximate date. Hope I have
      > given
      > you enough to work on as I know the minefield the Strachan name
      > causes. -
      > they were all referred to as Gammacks so I presume a Gammack surname
      > must be
      > there somewhere.
      >
      > I started research on this some time ago and got completely bogged
      > down as
      > two familes overlapped.
      >
      > Hope all is well in Oz - I envy you your warm weather at this time,

      Yes it's getting warmer here in Oz, but I'll be freezing in a couple of
      weeks when I head over to the Blue Toon.

      Don't have any Will's for this branch, but this could be the Strachan's
      your after.

      1874 Peterhead Deaths
      No.185, Alexander Geddes Strachan, single, died 31/8/1874 5hr am at
      Roneheads, male, aged 19 months, parents: George Strachan, fisherman and
      Margaret Strachan ms Lind, cause: Scarlet Fever, no medical attendant,
      informant: George Strachan his x mark, father, present.

      The Lind seems like the maiden name from the mother and looking at the
      census, could Gammack be because she was from Gamrie?

      1881 Census
      Dwelling: 28 Port Henry Road
      Census Place: Peterhead, Aberdeen, Scotland
      Source: FHL Film 0203464 GRO Ref Volume 232-1 EnumDist 5
      Page 19
      Marr Age Sex Birthplace
      George STRACHAN M 29 M Peterhead, Aberdeen, Scotland
      Rel: Head
      Occ: Fisherman
      Margaret STRACHAN M 26 F Gamrie, Banff, Scotland
      Rel: Wife
      George STRACHAN 6 M Peterhead, Aberdeen, Scotland
      Rel: Son
      Occ: Scholar
      Alexander G. STRACHAN 4 M Peterhead, Aberdeen, Scotland
      Rel: Son
      James C. STRACHAN 2 M Peterhead, Aberdeen, Scotland
      Rel: Son
      Robert STRACHAN 5 m M Peterhead, Aberdeen, Scotland
      Rel: Son