Re: Welcome to Peterhead@onelist.com

  • Shirley Elrick
    Message 1 of 18 , Sep 18 2:36 PM
      Wade, thank you for the welcome message.

      I am researching the family name of ELRICK. So far I have gleaned as much
      info from BDM, MI and census as I can. I have had 'some' success in
      identifying families. I have data in The Master Genealogist, which produces
      GEDCOM files if any one would like copies. It also produces reports in many
      WP formats. Just ask.

      Now for the specifics.

      Alexander ELRICK (born Aberdour 1841) and Ann WALLS (possibly born Tyrie,
      know not when) with sundry children were in Peterhead in the 1891 census. I
      am not sure Alexander was married to Ann, as she is a sister to Mary WALLS
      who is married to John ELRICK, Alexander's brother. One of the children
      listed (Gardener Walls ELRICK) is in the census index as ASON, which I have
      assumed means adopted. I am hoping to find more details from the actual
      census, but I have not found how to access it yet. As an aside Mary and
      Ann's father is Garden WALLS.

      John ELRICK (son of George and Jessie GAMACK) married Christina GORDON
      Peterhead 1864. Children all born Peterhead are:
      George Simpson (1864), Barbara Gordon (1866), John (1867), Alexander (1870),
      Jemima (1870), Morrice Webster (1872), James Gamack (1874), Jas. (c1880),
      Emily C (c1883). Family found in 1881 and 1891 census index for Peterhead.

      Alexander ELRICK (son of William and Isobel THOMPSON) married Jessie FOREST
      Peterhead 1865. Children all born Peterhead are:
      Jessie (1865), William (1867), Mary (1871) and Margaret (1874). Family
      found in the 1881 Census at Peterhead.

      John ELRICK married Mary MURRAY in St Fergus 1866. Children are:
      Mary (1866 Longside), Christina (1868 Longside), Elspet (c1873 St Fergus)
      and Williamina (1880 Peterhead). Family found in 1881 census Peterhead.

      I have more but do not want this to become too large.

      To sum up - I have to offer a database of ELRICK connections in Peterhead
      (and all of Aberdeenshire and Banffshire). I also access to the films of
      the 1841 and 1851 Scottish census. If there are any requests for look ups
      for Peterhead I will gladly do them. The films are some distance from my
      home and I work a full time job, so there would be a bit of a delay.

      My requests are: Any information on any connections with ELRICKs. Look ups
      in the 1891 census (I have the Enumerator districts, sections and page
      numbers). Also any pointers to where I can gain local historical
      information.

      Many thanks.

      Shirley Elrick in Melbourne, Australia.
      Email = shirley_elrick@...

      Message 2 of 18 , Dec 5, 1998
        Thank you Wade for your welcome to the Peterhead list.

        I am searching for information on the family of Mary GREIG who was baptised
        on 29 March 1835 at Peterhead. Father: Alexander GREIG.

        I would be grateful for any help.

        Thank you
        Dulcie Innes

      • JMiklos102@aol.com
        Message 3 of 18 , Dec 14, 1998
          I am researching my mother's family in Peterhead.
          My mother's name was Ruth Birnie. She was born Oct. 1, 1925? in Peterhead.
          She had numerous brother's and sisters - William, Mary, Jean, Thomas,
          Margaret, Elizabeth. They immigrated to Canada in the late 20's. My
          grandfather was Andrew Birnie and my grandmother was Mary Anderson. They
          lived at 27 Prince St. Peterhead. I believe that they lived there with their
          parents and my grandfather's brothers. I have an old picture of them in front
          of the house. I belive that the house was converted from a jail to an
          apartment building. Would appreciate any help. Thanks
          Jeannie
        • JDVon@xxx.xxx
          Message 4 of 18 , Dec 14, 1998
            Hi Jeanie
            We have Birnie in our Cheyne family line. I have Elizabeth Cheyne marrying
            William Birnie son of John Birnie and Christian Panton. They had five
            children that I know of William, Barbara, Magdalene, Alexander and James. All
            born in the early 1800s Can you go back that far? They are listed on the
            Cheyne Home Page. http://www.rootsweb.com/~cheyne
            Let me know if you need more info.
            DeLories Vaughn
            JDVon@...
          • JMiklos102@xxx.xxx
            Message 5 of 18 , Dec 14, 1998
              Hi DeLories
              I have just started searching so I really can't go back any farther at this
              point than the late 1800's. I know that 27 Prince St. was in that family for
              quite some time and that all of the family members seemed to live together in
              that home. I will definitely let you know if I hear of anything. I have
              asked my mother if she remembers anything regarding her grandparents (names
              etc.) I do have a picture of them from the early 1900's.
              Thanks
              Jeannie
            • Roderick Hay Bain
              Message 6 of 18 , Dec 16, 1998
                Fit like?

                I too have Birnie/Cheyne link. Please send me file on your ancestors. I
                have hundreds of names in these lines linked from Rathen parish so am
                very interested to add to mine. From early 1700's.

                Rodi Bain

                In message <b67b6212.3675a48c@...>, JDVon@... writes
                >From: JDVon@...
                >
                >Hi Jeanie
                >We have Birnie in our Cheyne family line. I have Elizabeth Cheyne marrying
                >William Birnie son of John Birnie and Christian Panton. They had five
                >children that I know of William, Barbara, Magdalene, Alexander and James. All
                >born in the early 1800s Can you go back that far? They are listed on the
                >Cheyne Home Page. http://www.rootsweb.com/~cheyne
                >Let me know if you need more info.
                >DeLories Vaughn
                >JDVon@...

                Dr Roderick Hay Bain
              • JMiklos102@xxx.xxx
                Message 7 of 18 , Dec 17, 1998
                  I have just started research. My grandfather was Andrew Birnie, born in
                  Peterhead in 1879. He had 8 brothers. He married Mary Anderson. His
                  brothers were Oscar, James, Thomas, Alexander, Joseph, William (don't know
                  other names) They all lived at 27 Prince St. Peterhead. Any info you have
                  will be great. Thanks
                  Jeannie
                • JDVon@xxx.xxx
                  Message 8 of 18 , Dec 18, 1998
                    Rodi,
                    If you could give me your snailmail address I will mail you a copy of what I
                    have. I think it would be easier - if it's all right with you.
                    Sincerely,
                    DeLories Vaughn
                    JDVon@...
                  • Niles & Becchi
                    Message 9 of 18 , Dec 30, 1998
                      I'm the person that Jim Mann Taylor is talking about. I went ahead and
                      subscribed to the list but the Alexander Cordiner I'm talking about, I
                      think Jim gave the wrong birthdate. It's May 7, 1850, the date Jim gave is
                      for Alexander's older brother William. Also Alexander married a Susan
                      Bruce Scott born 1854 in Glasgow (I think.) Her parents were Gordon Scott
                      and Susan Bruce. Alexander and Susan had several children prior to moving
                      to England, on to Canada and then on to Barre, Vermont, U. S. A. where they
                      had their last child, my grandmother Dorothy Florence Cordiner on February
                      9, 1897

                      this
                      > message.
                      >
                      > To unsubscribe from this list, go to the ONElist web site, at
                      > www.onelist.com, and select the User Center link from the menu bar
                      > on the left. This menu will also let you change your subscription
                      > between digest and normal mode.
                      >
                      > Please only talk about Peterhead information, records or ancestors from
                      > Peterhead.
                      >
                      > As a start you could tell us all the people you are researching from
                      Peterhead.

                      > Thanks,
                      > Wade Buchan
                    • Joyce Piper
                      Message 10 of 18 , Feb 24, 1999
                        Hi Wade
                        The following people I am researching from Peterhead :

                        Sarah Davidson b6 May 1830;married Dugald McLeod 19 March 1850
                        William Vollum McLeod b13 Oct 1834;
                        Ann McLeod b 24 Oct 1830;
                        Robina McLeod b 14 Oct 1866, married William Gordon 1 Sept 1886
                        William Gordon b 7 Aug 1859
                        Thomas McLeod b22 Sept 1853; James McLeod b 15 March 1856;
                        Dugald McLeod b 11 Jun 1860; William Vollum McLeod b11 Jun 1864;
                        Helen Ann McLeod b 15 Oct 1850; Sarah McLeod b 13 Oct 1857;
                        Sarah McLeod b 11 May 1862; Patrician Jamieson McLeod b Feb 10 1872.
                        Christina Glennie Gordon b 19 Dec 1890
                        Many thanks
                        Joyce
                        >Welcome to the Peterhead Mailing list. Please take a moment to review
                        this
                        >message.
                        >
                        >To unsubscribe from this list, go to the ONElist web site, at
                        >www.onelist.com, and select the User Center link from the menu bar
                        >on the left. This menu will also let you change your subscription
                        >between digest and normal mode.
                        >
                        >Please only talk about Peterhead information, records or ancestors
                        from
                        >Peterhead.
                        >
                        >As a start you could tell us all the people you are researching from
                        Peterhead.

                        >Thanks,
                        >Wade Buchan

                      • males
                        Message 11 of 18 , Apr 9, 1999
                          I am researching HERD John Thomas born c1860, brothers David, Charles sons
                          of George. Have checked IGI and Scots Origins on the web but havent found
                          anything as yet. Can anyone make a suggestion.
                        • J. David Barron
                          Message 12 of 18 , Apr 24, 1999
                            Hello:

                            I am researching the families Barron and Pirie. The information I have so far, is
                            that my Great-Grandfather, Alexander Barron, left Peterhead at age 14 (lying about
                            his age) to join the merchant marine. He was baptised in 1845 in Old Deer parish,
                            and his parents were John Barron, and Christian Pirie. The next record I have of
                            him is his marriage certificate, dated 1874 in Toronto. I am interested in learning
                            more about the Piries and the Barrons. Alexander's mother seems to have been
                            baptised in 1807 and her parents were Alexander Pirie and Christian Morgan or
                            Margan. Alexander had brothers and sisters Christian, Thomas, John, William, Anne
                            and Jane (twins).

                            I know about Alexander's descendants, and am interested in his ancestors and
                            siblings.

                            I can provide details about the information I have, and would love to learn
                            anything new about these families.

                            Regards from Ottawa, Canada

                            John David Barron
                          • Pearl Wilson
                            Message 13 of 18 , May 5, 1999
                              Hi All Members,

                              And thankyou for setting up this List Wade..

                              My main Line in Peterhead is that of the GIBB Family.

                              Any others related out there???

                              Cheers,
                              Pearl.
                              http://members.tripod.com/PearlsPad/
                            • DMHINEY@xxx.xxx
                              Message 14 of 18 , May 18, 1999
                                I'm Researching the Will Surname. My gg grandfather James Will was born in
                                Peterhead in 1809. Have no Idea who parents were. Anyone with info on this
                                surname please contact me.

                                Thanks
                                Debbie
                              • anna wilkie
                                Message 15 of 18 , Jul 11, 1999
                                  >From: Peterhead-owner@onelist.com
                                  >To: anna_wilkie@...
                                  >Subject: [Peterhead] Welcome to Peterhead@onelist.com
                                  >Date: 11 Jul 1999 14:05:42 -0000
                                  >
                                  >Hello,
                                  >
                                  >Welcome to the Peterhead Mailing list. Please take a moment to review this
                                  >message.
                                  >
                                  >To unsubscribe from this list, go to the ONElist web site, at
                                  >www.onelist.com, and select the User Center link from the menu bar
                                  >on the left. This menu will also let you change your subscription
                                  >between digest and normal mode.
                                  >
                                  >Please only talk about Peterhead information, records or ancestors from
                                  >Peterhead.
                                  >
                                  >As a start you could tell us all the people you are researching from
                                  >Peterhead.
                                  >
                                  >Thanks,
                                  >Wade Buchan

                                  Hello there,
                                  I am hoping to find out more about my husband's STEPHEN ancestors in
                                  Peterhead.
                                  His greatgrandfather was JAMES CORDINER STEPHEN b. Sept 1, 1856 in
                                  Peterhead. James parents were (According to his marriage record) ROBERT
                                  STEPHEN and ANN CORDINER. I am hoping to find out if this was the Robert
                                  Stephen and ANN cordiner who were married in Peterhead on NOv 22, 1855.

                                  Also , according to the International Genealogical Index JAMEs Stephen's
                                  siblings were:
                                  ROBERT STEPHEN b MAr 27, 1858
                                  WILLIAM SELLAR STEPHEN b. July 29, 1860
                                  ANN SELLAR STEPHEN b. July 13, 1862
                                  MATTHEW STEWART STEPHEN b. Jan 2, 1866 d, 1867
                                  DAVID CARDNO STEPHEN b. June 20, 1868
                                  MATTHEW NICOL STEPHEN b. Dec 10, 1870
                                  JOHN BROWN STEPHEN b. July 31, 1873

                                  All in Peterhead

                                  Does anyone out there recognize any of these names?
                                • Shelley Steven
                                  Message 16 of 18 , Jul 12, 1999
                                    Hello Anna. My name is Shelley Stephen and I sure do recognize those names!
                                    My husband's great great grandfather was James Stephen, born May 15, 1805
                                    who married Anne Cordiner, born Nov 22,1806. Their children were: Robert,
                                    born 1869, Alice born 1870, Susan Ann, born 1872, Henrietta born 1874, James
                                    Garden born 1876, William born 1878, Agnes born 1880, Thomas Hutchison, Born
                                    1881, George Craib born 1884, Elsie Gordon born 1887, Sarah Elizabeth born
                                    1889, and John Clark (our grandpa) born 1893. Robert Stephen was my
                                    husband's great-grandfather who emigrated to Maymont, Saskatchewan in the
                                    early 1900's. He was the only one of twelve in the family to move to
                                    Canada, there are relatives in South Africa and Australia as well. There's
                                    likely a link between us!

                                    p.s. Is the international genealogical index a website? If so, I'd really
                                    appreciate the address.

                                    thank you,

                                    Shelley Stephen
                                    (we're in Campbell River, British Columbia on Vancouver Island)

                                    >>Welcome to the Peterhead Mailing list. Please take a moment to review this
                                    >>message.
                                    >>
                                    >>To unsubscribe from this list, go to the ONElist web site, at
                                    >>www.onelist.com, and select the User Center link from the menu bar
                                    >>on the left. This menu will also let you change your subscription
                                    >>between digest and normal mode.
                                    >>
                                    >>Please only talk about Peterhead information, records or ancestors from
                                    >>Peterhead.
                                    >>
                                    >>As a start you could tell us all the people you are researching from
                                    >>Peterhead.
                                    >>
                                    >>Thanks,
                                    >>Wade Buchan
                                    >
                                    >Hello there,
                                    >I am hoping to find out more about my husband's STEPHEN ancestors in
                                    >Peterhead.
                                    >His greatgrandfather was JAMES CORDINER STEPHEN b. Sept 1, 1856 in
                                    >Peterhead. James parents were (According to his marriage record) ROBERT
                                    >STEPHEN and ANN CORDINER. I am hoping to find out if this was the Robert
                                    >Stephen and ANN cordiner who were married in Peterhead on NOv 22, 1855.
                                    >
                                    >Also , according to the International Genealogical Index JAMEs Stephen's
                                    >siblings were:
                                    >ROBERT STEPHEN b MAr 27, 1858
                                    >WILLIAM SELLAR STEPHEN b. July 29, 1860
                                    >ANN SELLAR STEPHEN b. July 13, 1862
                                    >MATTHEW STEWART STEPHEN b. Jan 2, 1866 d, 1867
                                    >DAVID CARDNO STEPHEN b. June 20, 1868
                                    >MATTHEW NICOL STEPHEN b. Dec 10, 1870
                                    >JOHN BROWN STEPHEN b. July 31, 1873
                                    >
                                    >All in Peterhead
                                    >
                                    >Does anyone out there recognize any of these names?

                                    >Campaign 2000 is here!
                                    >http://www.onelist.com
                                    >Discuss your thoughts; get informed at ONElist. See our homepage.

                                  • Jim Mann Taylor
                                    Message 17 of 18 , Jul 13, 1999
                                      >My husband's great great grandfather was James Stephen, born May 15, 1805
                                      >who married Anne Cordiner, born Nov 22,1806. Their children were: Robert,
                                      >born 1869, Alice born 1870, Susan Ann, born 1872, Henrietta born 1874, James
                                      >Garden born 1876, William born 1878, Agnes born 1880, Thomas Hutchison, Born
                                      >1881, George Craib born 1884, Elsie Gordon born 1887, Sarah Elizabeth born
                                      >1889, and John Clark (our grandpa) born 1893. Robert Stephen was my
                                      >husband's great-grandfather who emigrated to Maymont, Saskatchewan in the
                                      >early 1900's.

                                      Shelley,

                                      I think you have made a mistake. There is no way that your Anne born in
                                      1806 could have given birth to that family ending with your relative born
                                      in 1893. That would have made Anne about 86 when she gave birth to John
                                      Clark. Even the first child in 1969 when Anne was 62ish is probably
                                      impossible. I think you have probably jumped two generations.

                                      Jim Mann Taylor
                                      Gloucestershire, England
                                      Aberdeenshire Families
                                      Main surnames include Taylor, Ingram, Garden, Cordiner, Stephen, Bradford,
                                      Birnie, Brodie, Ferguson, Mitchell, Chalmers, Allardyce.
                                      Plus Mann of Norfolk and Ralph of Nairn.
                                      <http://www.j.mann.taylor.clara.co.uk/family.htm>
                                    • Alison Anderson
                                      Message 18 of 18 , Sep 1 1:01 PM
                                        Hi everyone,

                                        I'm looking for information on William Finnie (born c1766, no info on
                                        parents, death date unknown, but buried Peterhead), his wife Catherine Greig
                                        (born c1766, died 1858, and buried Peterhead), marriage date/place unknown.
                                        Catherine was the daughter of James Greig and Ann Alexander (no details
                                        known). I know William & Catherine had at least two sons - James (born
                                        c1811, married Mary Fraser - 30 December, 1837, Aberdeen, and died 28 July,
                                        1890), and Robert (born ?, married Mary Smith 23 September, 1837, Peterhead,
                                        died ?). Details of any other children to William & Catherine or any other
                                        Finnie's from Peterhead would be very welcome. I have a note of some of the
                                        children for James & Robert, but do not know all their wives or children.

                                        A. Anderson