List of names in Inventory of Personal Estate

    Message 1 of 6 , Nov 19, 2002
      Hi again,

      I'm not sure if this is of interest to anyone or not, but you might find
      your ancestor mentioned in my ancestor's Inventory of Personal Estate.
      If you can't find a receipt amongst your ancestor's belongings showing
      payment of debt, am I able to ask for it to be paid to me with interest?
      ;-) I thought it was interesting that none of my other ancestors were
      mentioned, including any fishermen from Buchanhaven and Burnhaven.

      The following list of people appeared in the Inventory of the personal
      estate for John Davidson, Butcher in Peterhead 23/07/1874. The only
      other information beside the name was the amount owed.

      Book Debts due to the deceased by the following parties:
      Nathaniel Shivas, Spittal Shelmuir
      Mrs Murray, Blackhouse
      James Johnston, Custom House Agent
      James S. Anderson
      Mr Penny, Bruckley? Station
      Alexander Anderson, Meethill
      Alexander Mitchell, Slater
      John Johnston, Cairngall Quarry
      Alexander Stuart, Mason
      James McKenzie, Longside Sawmill
      John Murray, Saint Fergus
      James Wood, Findon
      Mr. Bruce, Clothier
      John Geddes, Buckie
      Charles Duncan
      R. Thomson, Prestonpans?
      Helen Cornal, Buckie
      Mr. Catto, Middleton of Rattray
      James Noble of Berryhill
      George McGlashan, Brewer
      George Maitland Jr. for "Liberal"
      Reverend James Yule
      Robert Anderson, Draper
      Peter Reid, Mason
      James Bisset
      Captain David Gray
      Parochial Board
      Dr. Comrie
      Reverend James Stewart
      W.L. Taylor
      Sergeant Mortimer
      Mrs. Nicol, L. McKay's daughter
      James Soutter, Baker
      D. Robertson, Wellbank
      John McGlashan, Milend
      William Milne, Grave digger
      James Hepburn, Washinghouse
      Mrs. Nicol
      Mrs. Thompson, Blackhills
      Ann West
      George Law Senior
      W. Robertson's sister
      Mr. Pennie, Mintlaw
      Robert Bailloe, Jr?
      Mrs Nicol, Chapel Street
      Mrs. William Mackie
      Allan Thomson
      Mr. Cumming, Cadgerhill
      Mr. Grant, Kirk Street
      Peter May
      Mr. Grant, Grave digger
      Mrs Wallace
      James McRobbie
      Captain mackie, Cash on Loan
      Mrs. P Edwards
      Mrs McBain, Salt househead
      Reverend Mr. Prain
      F. Reid, mason
      Jane Dove, Boddam
      Mrs. Gordon, Springfield (Miss Hutchison)
      John Youll, moulder
      William Simpson, carter
      William Baird, Buchanhaven
      Mrs. P. Murray, Fish Curer
      Miss Brand, Ravenscraig
      Simon McKenzie, Mintlaw
      Stewart and Leask for "Perseverance"
      Widow Noble
      Mrs. Laing, Grange
      Captain William Urguhart
      Peter Hutchison, Gardener
      Mrs. Hendry, Roper
      Alexander McKenzie, Peterhead
      Mr. Brand, Ravenscraig
      William Thomson, Sandford
      William Watson, Tailor
      Miss Comrie
      Mr Sangster, Watchmaker Cruden
      George Maitland for "Ariel"
      William Gall, Farmer, Rora
      Mr. Barron, Tiffery
      William Robertson, Shoemaker
      Reverend James Youll
      Mr. McLennan, Blacksmith
      Mrs Finnie, Maiden Street (Coplandhill)
      Mrs. Anderson, Queen Street
      J. McIntosh, Grocer
      John Collie
      Mrs. Watt, Queen Street
      Mr. Stewart, Plasterer
      Allan Thomson
      Mrs Emslie, Saint Mary Street
      Mr. Summer, School master, Boddam
    • Alex
      Message 2 of 6 , Nov 19, 2002
        Aye Wade,

        Dinnah think anyone gets tick or the slate at the butcher nowadays.

        Alex

        The following list of people appeared in the Inventory of the personal
        estate for John Davidson, Butcher in Peterhead 23/07/1874. other
        information beside the name was the amount owed. Book Debts due to the
        deceased by the following parties:

        ---
        Message 3 of 6 , Nov 21, 2002
          Alex wrote:

          > Aye Wade,
          >
          > Dinnah think anyone gets tick or the slate at the butcher nowadays.
          >
          > Alex

          No we just have plastic instead. We even have plastic money in Oz.

          Did you look at the Strachan Wills?

        • Mmm16dav@aol.com
          Message 4 of 6 , Nov 21, 2002
            Hi Wade,

            Saw this reply referring to Strachans - which Strachan wills are there?
            Also will you have a look at Strachan - in Roanheads I presume - not sure
            of the parents names - as usual they are referred to as Grun or Dide and no
            one has a clue.

            The family I am looking for had a Margaret middle name Lind, a Mary, an
            Adam, a George, an Alec and a Peter- Dowds came into his name somewhere but
            I don't even know the order they were in. I know one of the sons was killed
            in the First World War so that gives an approximate date. Hope I have given
            you enough to work on as I know the minefield the Strachan name causes. -
            they were all referred to as Gammacks so I presume a Gammack surname must be
            there somewhere.

            I started research on this some time ago and got completely bogged down as
            two familes overlapped.

            Hope all is well in Oz - I envy you your warm weather at this time,

            Margie

          • Alex
            Message 5 of 6 , Nov 21, 2002
              Aye Wade,
              I found these wills most interesting another part of the jigsaw showing life
              as it was at the time.

              Regarding the plastic I would just love to walk into one of the few
              remaining butcher shops order a pund o' mince and a pund o' sausages and
              proffer the Black Amex card.
              Alex
              > > Dinnah think anyone gets tick or the slate at the butcher nowadays.
              > >
              > > Alex
              >
              > No we just have plastic instead. We even have plastic money in Oz.
              >
              > Did you look at the Strachan Wills?
              >
              > Regards, Wade.

              ---
              Message 6 of 6 , Dec 3, 2002
                Hi Margie,

                Mmm16dav@... wrote:

                > Saw this reply referring to Strachans - which Strachan wills are
                > there?
                > Also will you have a look at Strachan - in Roanheads I presume -
                > not sure
                > of the parents names - as usual they are referred to as Grun or Dide
                > and no
                > one has a clue.
                >
                > The family I am looking for had a Margaret middle name Lind, a Mary,
                > an
                > Adam, a George, an Alec and a Peter- Dowds came into his name
                > somewhere but
                > I don't even know the order they were in. I know one of the sons was
                > killed
                > in the First World War so that gives an approximate date. Hope I have
                > given
                > you enough to work on as I know the minefield the Strachan name
                > causes. -
                > they were all referred to as Gammacks so I presume a Gammack surname
                > must be
                > there somewhere.
                >
                > I started research on this some time ago and got completely bogged
                > down as
                > two familes overlapped.
                >
                > Hope all is well in Oz - I envy you your warm weather at this time,

                Yes it's getting warmer here in Oz, but I'll be freezing in a couple of
                weeks when I head over to the Blue Toon.

                Don't have any Will's for this branch, but this could be the Strachan's
                your after.

                1874 Peterhead Deaths
                No.185, Alexander Geddes Strachan, single, died 31/8/1874 5hr am at
                Roneheads, male, aged 19 months, parents: George Strachan, fisherman and
                Margaret Strachan ms Lind, cause: Scarlet Fever, no medical attendant,
                informant: George Strachan his x mark, father, present.

                The Lind seems like the maiden name from the mother and looking at the
                census, could Gammack be because she was from Gamrie?

                1881 Census
                Dwelling: 28 Port Henry Road
                Census Place: Peterhead, Aberdeen, Scotland
                Source: FHL Film 0203464 GRO Ref Volume 232-1 EnumDist 5
                Page 19
                Marr Age Sex Birthplace
                George STRACHAN M 29 M Peterhead, Aberdeen, Scotland
                Rel: Head
                Occ: Fisherman
                Margaret STRACHAN M 26 F Gamrie, Banff, Scotland
                Rel: Wife
                George STRACHAN 6 M Peterhead, Aberdeen, Scotland
                Rel: Son
                Occ: Scholar
                Alexander G. STRACHAN 4 M Peterhead, Aberdeen, Scotland
                Rel: Son
                James C. STRACHAN 2 M Peterhead, Aberdeen, Scotland
                Rel: Son
                Robert STRACHAN 5 m M Peterhead, Aberdeen, Scotland
                Rel: Son