William Mitchell drowned off Scaurs of Cruden..

  • Mmm16dav@aol.com
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 8, 2002
      Found this while browsing through a book

      William in Belscamphie Tuesday 10 Dec 1816- from Peterhead formerly of Ward,
      lost off Whinnyfold,Satrd.,13 Sept 1817 &buried at peterhead 14th sept 1817
      Service at Whinnyfold.

      George Alexander from Peterhead formerly of Longhaven ag52 was lost off
      Whinnyfold Sat 13th sept 1817 & buried at Peterhead 14Sept 1817 Service at
      Whinny.

      Margie

    • baffledofedinburgh
      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 16, 2002
        William was my ggggrandfather, so I would be very interested for any
        more information, details of the book you were browsing through and
        where you found it etc. I knew that he had been lost at sea, from a
        newspaper report of a political speach made by his grandson, Bailie
        John Mitchell who was a fishcurer in Peterhead.

        There was no other detail, but your information that another man was
        lost at the same time suggests that there was more to the accident
        than I had thought.

        Are Belscamphie and Whinnyfold place names?

        Thanks.

        Iain

      • Mmm16dav@aol.com
        Message 3 of 3 , Nov 16, 2002
          Iain,

          Yes they are place names - Belscamphie I am not sure of but will ask.
          Whinnyfold is a hamlet only a few miles from Cruden Bay. Previously all the
          inhabitants were involved in fishing but now all the cottages are renovated
          and very picturesque it is - situated right on top of the cliff with a narrow
          path leading down to the beach,

          Margie