Birnie

    Message 1 of 7 , Dec 19, 1998
      Hi Jeannie,

      JMiklos102@... wrote:

      > I am researching my mother's family in Peterhead.
      > My mother's name was Ruth Birnie. She was born Oct. 1, 1925? in Peterhead.
      > She had numerous brother's and sisters - William, Mary, Jean, Thomas,
      > Margaret, Elizabeth. They immigrated to Canada in the late 20's. My
      > grandfather was Andrew Birnie and my grandmother was Mary Anderson.

      Unfortunately I do not have access to more recent records. You would
      need to get back to about 1881. I suggest that you should get a copy of
      your Mother's birth certificate. This will give your grandparents
      marriage date and then you should be able to that certificate.

      Message 2 of 7 , Jan 17, 1999
        Hi Jeannie,

        > Have you had an opportunity to check out anything regarding Andrew Birnie.

        I didn't find any Andrew Birnie age 2 or about, born Peterhead, in
        Peterhead or Aberdeenshire from the 1881 Census Index for Aberdeenshire.

        Regards, Wade.
      • Joanne Pye
        Message 3 of 7 , Oct 20, 2000
          For Linda Adam

          Hi Linda

          I saw the name Birnie mentioned in your last posting and thought I should
          tell you about where the name appears in my research.

          I have a Barbara Birnie FRASER age 23 born in Rathen living with her
          parents, siblings and their children, in Peterhead 1851. Thanks to Wade!

          There was granddaughter aged 7 named Charlotte Birnie living there too, and
          I believe she was Barbara's daughter. I don't know where the name Birnie
          came from, or who Charlotte's father was, but thought you may be interested.

          Hope you are well.
          Joanne
          Researching:MILNE,KINLOCH-Peterhead
          MILNE,KINLOCH,SMITH-Rest of
          Aberdeen
          KINLOCH-Dundee
          WATSON,SMITH-Glasgow
        • Linda Adam
          Message 4 of 7 , Oct 20, 2000
            Hi Joanne,

            Thanks for the Birnie information and for taking an interest.

            I'm not sure if or where it may fit in just yet but I will save the
            details. My saved file is going to explode one of these days I am sure!

            Could you provide me with full details from the 1851 Census that Wade
            gave you? Parents, siblings etc. of Barbara & house #. It may help to
            piece the puzzle together.

            All the best,
            Linda

            Joanne Pye wrote:

            > For Linda Adam
            >
            > Hi Linda
            >
            > I saw the name Birnie mentioned in your last posting and thought I
            > should
            > tell you about where the name appears in my research.
            >
            > I have a Barbara Birnie FRASER age 23 born in Rathen living with her
            > parents, siblings and their children, in Peterhead 1851. Thanks to
            > Wade!
            >
            > There was granddaughter aged 7 named Charlotte Birnie living there
            > too, and
            > I believe she was Barbara's daughter. I don't know where the name
            > Birnie
            > came from, or who Charlotte's father was, but thought you may be
            > interested.
            >
            > Hope you are well.
            > Joanne
            > Researching:MILNE,KINLOCH-Peterhead
            > MILNE,KINLOCH,SMITH-Rest of
            > Aberdeen
            > KINLOCH-Dundee
            > WATSON,SMITH-Glasgow
            >

            > eGroups Sponsor

          • Jim Mann Taylor
            Message 5 of 7 , Jun 2, 2001
              Don,

              You will also find her at:
              <http://www.j.mann.taylor.clara.net/family.htm>

              Jim Mann Taylor

              >I have a Christian Birnie, born in Rathen about 1846 who married an
              >Andrew Esslemont in 1871 in Rathen
            • dundeealex
              Message 6 of 7 , Aug 29, 2002
                Hi! Alex,
                Really glad to have been of help it's not often I can, LOL
                Here are a couple of things on Birnie as appear in Whaling Records

                BIRNIE R. SIR CHARLES CAMPBELL PETERHEAD 1861
                BIRNIE J. HANNIBAL PETERHEAD 1836
                BIRNIE TAY DUNDEE 1865

                I would guess Birnie R. And Birnie are the same person it may help
                you further in pinning down dates.

                Alex
                Message 7 of 7 , May 17, 2003
                  I'm forwarding this message to list after checking with Laurie that it
                  was okay. I know a few people on the list are researching the Alexander
                  Birnie and Elizabeth McKessock. You will need to reply directing to
                  Laurie as he is not on the list.

                  Regards, Wade.

                  Subject: 1851 Census Craighead
                  Date: Sun, 11 May 2003 09:15:49 -0600
                  From: "L.D.Malette" <malette@...>
                  To: "Wade Buchan" <wsb@...>

                  Hi Wade,

                  Thanks for your help. This is not an easy one to figure out. Sarah
                  Craighead's maiden name was Milne and she
                  was born St. Fergus, Banff, about 1824. I suspect that in 1851 they must
                  have lived in Boddam because some
                  of their children record their place of birth as Boddam. The daughter
                  that I am interested in was born at
                  Stirlinghill which I believe are quarries. She was Ann Craighead born 3
                  July 1856 and would have been my
                  gggrandmother. The twist to this story - my great- grandmother was
                  illegitimate but her father was David
                  Forbes. My great-grandmother was raised by the Forbes family in
                  Caithness. She was born the 20 December
                  1874 and David Forbes married Janet Willox Birnie (thus the Birnie
                  interest) on 12 May 1875. I have lost David
                  and Janet after the 1881 census which makes me believe they might have
                  emigrated to Canada or Australia.
                  One of Janet's brothers went to Fremantle, eventually returning to
                  Peterhead. I have also tried looking for a
                  death registration for David/Janet but come up with nothing. So I am
                  trying to chase down the Birnie family and
                  hope I might find a clue! I have a number of registrations - would you
                  like me to contribute them to your
                  collection of records? Thanks again...

                  Laurie