Taxi Service

    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 3, 2002
      Does anyone know/remember when and by who the first taxi (car) service
      started in Peterhead?

      Was it around the 1930's by the Barclay's?

      Regards, Wade.
    • Mmm16dav@aol.com
      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 3, 2002
        Wade Hi,

        Not sure about an actual taxi service but in the early 1900's every one went
        to Jimmy Reid - Reid's pen - he had horses to begin with and I have some
        lovely stories of my Great Grandmother and her pal Babbie Cow hiring a landau
        for £1 for the day and taking off with both families to picnic near the Broch.

        Will see what I can find out about taxis in the 30's.

        Kindest regards to Mum - hope she is keeping well,

        Margie

        Message 3 of 4 , Nov 4, 2002
          Hi Margie,

          Not forgetting Sutherland's, but still not a taxi service. Hopefully
          someone might remember.

          You have probably already read George Ritchie's memories of growing up
          in Peterhead, as they appeared in the Buchanie. Sounded similar to
          stories from my dad.

          Regards, Wade.

          Mmm16dav@... wrote:

          > Wade Hi,
          >
          > Not sure about an actual taxi service but in the early 1900's every
          > one went
          > to Jimmy Reid - Reid's pen - he had horses to begin with and I have
          > some
          > lovely stories of my Great Grandmother and her pal Babbie Cow hiring a
          > landau
          > for £1 for the day and taking off with both families to picnic near
          > the Broch.
          >
          > Will see what I can find out about taxis in the 30's.
          >
          > Kindest regards to Mum - hope she is keeping well,
          >

          > Margie

          > Peterhead Genealogy at http://www.axs.com.au/~wsb/
          >
          > To unsubscribe send a messaged to:

        • Sam Daniel
          Message 4 of 4 , Nov 5, 2002
            Just to let you know that Sutherlands ran the bus service to Peterhead
            from what was commonly called the Stables. Presumably they fed and
            watered the buses there. The stables were demolished in the late 90s
            and is now an estate of apartment houses.

            --
            Sam Daniel