Re: [Peterhead] 1889 deaths

  • Mmm16dav@aol.com
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 27, 2002
      The address causing problems is Almanythie Road - still there - it was
      the name of the sheltered harbour first used for yoles and meant something
      like old man's haven - creek or inlet.

      The streets in Roanheads were built from around 1864 - the exact date is on
      the gable end of the first house on the Burnie Streetie - so called because
      most of the inhabitants came in from Burnhaven. The proper name is Great
      Stuart Street.

      The next along is Port Henry Road, then Gladstone Road, Almanythie Road and
      New Street. They were built by fishermen and all on the same design
      principle. Three storey - built of Peterhead granite- the ground floor was
      nornally occupied by the father and family. The upstairs by the older son and
      family and the third storey- the garret where the nets were mended and
      stored. The upstairs was reached by an outside stair but the garret was
      reached by an inner set of stairs. Even writing this I can recall the smell
      of barked twine as I sat on a net in the garret listening to my grandmother
      and the women mennin' the nets. I was allowed to fill the needles.

      The houses were semi detached and reached through a close into a concret area
      - no garden - with sheds and a washhouse on either side.
      The toilet was outside until the houses were modernised.

      Margie - now you now why I am "fisherquine"