1889 deaths

  • Ivo
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 27, 2002
      Hi group,
      These two deaths were on the same page as my relative, they might help someone.
      Catherine

      Maggie Bella Shirer
      December 3rd 1889 12hr 30mn AM
      sex F
      age 5 months
      43 Longate, Peterhead
      William Shirer, farm servant
      Maggie Shirer, MS Roger
      cause Bronchitis 5 days
      as certified by D. L. Anderson
      William Shirer, father (present)
      when and where registered December 4th 1889, Peterhead
      Alexander Robertson, Registrar

      Maggie Wood
      December 7th 1889 6hr 30mn AM
      sex F
      age 7 years
      2 Auldma???, Peterhead
      William Wood, fisherman
      Christian Wood, MS Strachan
      cause Typhoid Fever Pneumonia
      as certified by James Middleton
      William Wood, father (present)
      when and where registered December 7th 1889, Peterhead
      Alexander Robertson, Registrar

    • Mmm16dav@aol.com
      Message 2 of 2 , Oct 27, 2002
        The address causing problems is Almanythie Road - still there - it was
        the name of the sheltered harbour first used for yoles and meant something
        like old man's haven - creek or inlet.

        The streets in Roanheads were built from around 1864 - the exact date is on
        the gable end of the first house on the Burnie Streetie - so called because
        most of the inhabitants came in from Burnhaven. The proper name is Great
        Stuart Street.

        The next along is Port Henry Road, then Gladstone Road, Almanythie Road and
        New Street. They were built by fishermen and all on the same design
        principle. Three storey - built of Peterhead granite- the ground floor was
        nornally occupied by the father and family. The upstairs by the older son and
        family and the third storey- the garret where the nets were mended and
        stored. The upstairs was reached by an outside stair but the garret was
        reached by an inner set of stairs. Even writing this I can recall the smell
        of barked twine as I sat on a net in the garret listening to my grandmother
        and the women mennin' the nets. I was allowed to fill the needles.

        The houses were semi detached and reached through a close into a concret area
        - no garden - with sheds and a washhouse on either side.
        The toilet was outside until the houses were modernised.

        Margie - now you now why I am "fisherquine"