Re: [Peterhead] Digest Number 753

  • Fiona Hird
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 18, 2002
      Barbara

      Unfortunately there is no easy answer to tracing the parents of your
      Christian Milne. People did not necessarily stay in the same parish all
      their lives so birth places of children can and do differ from locations of
      marriages. For example, in one Aberdeenshire branch of my family the father
      was a farm worker who moved from farm to farm, so that his children were
      born in three or four different parishes all close together.

      Plus the pre 1855 records can't be assumed to be complete, so you can never
      be absolutely sure that there isn't another birth which would "fit" but
      which was not recorded. The best sources would be the death certificates
      (for 1855 and later deaths) of Alexander Milne and Grace Davidson as those
      would give you the names of their parents. Monumental inscriptions are also
      a possible source as these can sometimes have whole family groups (although
      I have rarely had a lot of luck with them).

      Hope this helps.

      Fiona