Peterhead Registry Towns/Districts

  • 2Barbara Croker
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 17, 2002
      Hi Wade /Anyone who can tell me which District names relate to Peterhead
      Births, Marriages etc. in the IGI Indexes; or is 'Peterhead" the only one?
      For example, is Old Deer, Fyvie, Auchterless, Cruden New Deer,Pitsligo, Old
      Machar, Peterculter, Cluny, Crimond, Newhills,Rayne, Skene, etc. etc. are
      any of these part of Peterhead, for the purposes of looking up/finding
      ancestors.

      In looking for parents of Christian MILNE, born around 1841,for example,
      (parents were Alexander MILNE and GRACE DAVIDSON married 1827 in Peterhead),
      I then found a Grace (Grizzel) DAVIDSON born 16.7.1805 in Auchterless, to a
      William DAVIDSON and Barbara CREYK on 20.3.1803 in Auchterless. Am I right
      in thinking these could be my Grace's parents? OR is Auchterless too far
      away from Peterhead? There was another Grace DAVIDSON born /11/1809 in
      Hutton & Corrie District, Dumfriesshire, to a William DAVIDSON and Jannet
      Dickson. How does one know which ones are the parents of my Grace? I'd
      be grateful for any help. Barbara

    • Mmm16dav@aol.com
      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 18, 2002
        Message 3 of 3 , Sep 26, 2002
          Hi Barbara,

          The other parishes you mention are all different from Peterhead, which
          is parish of its own. They are part of Aberdeenshire. Try having a
          look at the book "The Parishes, Registers & Registrars of Scotland",
          published by Scottish Association of Family History Societies, this has
          maps of all the parishes in Scotland.

          Auchterless is still part of Aberdeenshire on the border of Banffshire,
          so closer than Dumfriesshire on the border of England.

          Have you been able to find a death, hopefully after 1855, which should
          give parents names. Also have you looked at the Peterhead OPR of the
          marriage details? As it sometimes givs the parish they are each from or
          simply both if this parish.

          Regards, Wade.