Re: Ann LYON and Alexander GREIG

  • Roy Flett
    Message 1 of 7 , Sep 11, 2002
      Linda

      I oringanlly thought Margaret was the mother but in the 1861 census
      Fanny is described as niece of Margaret Lyon who is the head of the
      household.

      I suspect there was also a brother James Lyon from the following
      baptism:

      James Lyon, seaman in Peterhead and Margaret Ritchie his wife, a
      daughter Fanny born 19 June 1832 and baptised 5 October before
      William Abernethy and Andrew Lyon.

      There does just seem to be one family of Begries in Peterhead but
      I'll need to try to unravel them from the records.

      Roy

      --- In Peterhead@y..., Linda Adam <taadam@s...> wrote:
      > Roy
      >
      > You certainly seem to have found the father of Frances Birnie. My
      female
      > intuition would think that Margaret Lyon was the mother of Frances
      since
      > Frances and her husband William Begrie named a daughter Margaret
      Lyon
      > Begrie (most likely the twin sister of Grace Anderson Bergie, born
      Jul
      > 11 1869, Phd.).
      >
      > Katherine Lyon is a mystery. Would there perhaps be a sign of her
      on an
      > 1851 census? Also who's child was Rachel, age 1 yr. on the 1841
      census?

      > I'm still checking and hope you will keep me posted if you find
      further
      > information.
      >
      > Regards,
      > Linda
      >
      > Roy Flett wrote:
      >
      > > Linda
      > >
      > > Thanks for this information. It is possible then that Frances
      > > Birnie's mother was Kathrine Lyon.
      > >
      > > I found the following in the Peterhead Episcopal Records
      > >

      > > John Birnie, seaman in Peterhead,a daughter Frances, in
      fornication,
      > > baptised 8 April 1833 before George Cumming and Alexander Greig.
      > >
      > > Unfortunatley no mother's name is given.
      > >
      > > Roy
      > >
      > > --- In Peterhead@y..., Linda Adam <taadam@s...> wrote:
      > > > Roy,
      > > > I came across this information in my saved file;
      > > >
      > > > 1841 Peterhead Census
      > > > ERROL STREET south end
      > > > Francis Birnie 8 (living with)
      > > > Andrew Lyon 77 lawyer