Re: [Peterhead] Re: Ann LYON and Alexander GREIG

  • Linda Adam
    Message 1 of 7 , Sep 11, 2002
      Roy

      You certainly seem to have found the father of Frances Birnie. My female
      intuition would think that Margaret Lyon was the mother of Frances since
      Frances and her husband William Begrie named a daughter Margaret Lyon
      Begrie (most likely the twin sister of Grace Anderson Bergie, born Jul
      11 1869, Phd.).

      Katherine Lyon is a mystery. Would there perhaps be a sign of her on an
      1851 census? Also who's child was Rachel, age 1 yr. on the 1841 census?

      I'm still checking and hope you will keep me posted if you find further
      information.

      Regards,
      Linda

      Roy Flett wrote:

      > Linda
      >
      > Thanks for this information. It is possible then that Frances
      > Birnie's mother was Kathrine Lyon.
      >
      > I found the following in the Peterhead Episcopal Records
      >

      > John Birnie, seaman in Peterhead,a daughter Frances, in fornication,
      > baptised 8 April 1833 before George Cumming and Alexander Greig.
      >
      > Unfortunatley no mother's name is given.
      >
      > Roy
      >
      > --- In Peterhead@y..., Linda Adam <taadam@s...> wrote:
      > > Roy,
      > > I came across this information in my saved file;
      > >
      > > 1841 Peterhead Census
      > > ERROL STREET south end
      > > Francis Birnie 8 (living with)
      > > Andrew Lyon 77 lawyer
      > > Frances 68
      > > Ann 45
      > > Kathrine 30
      > > Rachel 1
      > >
      > > Hope this also helps a bit.
      > >
      > > Linda Adam
      > > Researching Birnie's in Peterhead
      > >
      > > Roy Flett wrote:
      > >
      > > > Wade
      > > >
      > > > Thanks for this information which confirms that I have the right
      > > > Francis Begrie in the 1881 Census.
      > > >
      > > > I also got the following information from the 1861 census for
      > > > Peterhead:
      > > >

      > > > Pool Lane
      > > >
      > > > Margaret Lyon head 55 born Peterhead
      > > > Francis Beggary niece 28 born Peterhead
      > > > Mary Jane Beggary sister's dau 8 born Peterhead
      > > > William Beggary sister's son born Peterhead
      > > >
      > > > It would appear that Francis Begrie nee Birnie was the daughter
      > of a
      > > > sister of Margaret and Anne Lyon who may have married a Birnie
      > though
      > > > I can't find a marriage in the IGI. Frances Birnie may have been
      > > > illegitimate.
      > > >
      > > > Andrew Lyon and Fanny Abernethy appear to have had at least four
      > > > children in Peterhead
      > > >
      > > > Anne b 1797
      > > > Andrew b 1802 d 1870 Peterhead
      > > > Margaret b 1809 d 1870 Peterhead
      > > > and an daughter who was the mother of Francis Birnie b circa 1833
      > > > Peterhead who married William Begrie 1851 Peterhead
      > > >
      > > > Does anyone researching Lyons or Birnies in Peterhead have any
      > clues
      > > > on the identity of Frances Birnie?
      > > >
      > > > I know
      > > >
      > > > Roy

      > > > Greig,
      > Abernethy. The

      > Aberdeen
      > > > in
      >
      > > > Birnie

      > > > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
      > >

      > > > Peterhead Genealogy at http://www.axs.com.au/~wsb/
      > > >
      > > > To unsubscribe send a messaged to:

      > Service.

      > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
      [Image]

      > Peterhead Genealogy at http://www.axs.com.au/~wsb/
      >
      > To unsubscribe send a messaged to:

    • Roy Flett
      Message 2 of 7 , Sep 11, 2002
        Linda

        I oringanlly thought Margaret was the mother but in the 1861 census
        Fanny is described as niece of Margaret Lyon who is the head of the
        household.

        I suspect there was also a brother James Lyon from the following
        baptism:

        James Lyon, seaman in Peterhead and Margaret Ritchie his wife, a
        daughter Fanny born 19 June 1832 and baptised 5 October before
        William Abernethy and Andrew Lyon.

        There does just seem to be one family of Begries in Peterhead but
        I'll need to try to unravel them from the records.