Re: Ann LYON and Alexander GREIG

  • Roy Flett
    Message 1 of 7 , Sep 10, 2002
      Wade

      Thanks for this information which confirms that I have the right
      Francis Begrie in the 1881 Census.

      I also got the following information from the 1861 census for
      Peterhead:

      Pool Lane

      Margaret Lyon head 55 born Peterhead
      Francis Beggary niece 28 born Peterhead
      Mary Jane Beggary sister's dau 8 born Peterhead
      William Beggary sister's son born Peterhead

      It would appear that Francis Begrie nee Birnie was the daughter of a
      sister of Margaret and Anne Lyon who may have married a Birnie though
      I can't find a marriage in the IGI. Frances Birnie may have been
      illegitimate.

      Andrew Lyon and Fanny Abernethy appear to have had at least four
      children in Peterhead

      Anne b 1797
      Andrew b 1802 d 1870 Peterhead
      Margaret b 1809 d 1870 Peterhead
      and an daughter who was the mother of Francis Birnie b circa 1833
      Peterhead who married William Begrie 1851 Peterhead

      Does anyone researching Lyons or Birnies in Peterhead have any clues
      on the identity of Frances Birnie?

      I know

      Roy

      @y..., Wade Buchan <wsb@a...> wrote:
      > Hi Roy,
      >
      > royflett wrote:
      >
      > > Ann Greig d 19 April 1859, Errol Street, married to Alexander
      Greig,
      > > blacksmith, aged 62, parents: Andrew lyon and Fanny Abernethy. The
      > > death was notified by Francis Begrie, niece.
      > >
      > > Can anyone help with the identity of Frances Begrie. There is a
      > > Francis Birnie Begrie, widow of William Begrie living in Aberdeen
      in
      > > 1881 born circa 1833 Peterhead. She would appear to be Frances
      Birnie
      > > from the births of her daughter Grace Begrie in Peterhead.
      > >
      > > If this is the same Francis Begrie, who was her mother?
      >
      > 1851 Census
      > District 5, Page 4, No. 19, Love Lane
      > Fanny Lyon, head, widow, 78, pauper, Peterhead
      > Ann Lyon, daughter, mar, 52, pauper, Peterhead
      > Margaret Lyon, dau, unmar, 42, washer woman, Peterhead
      > Frances Birnie, grand child, unmar, 18, net weaver, Peterhead
      >
      > Hope this helps.
      >
      > Regards, Wade.

    • Linda Adam
      Message 2 of 7 , Sep 11, 2002
        Roy,
        I came across this information in my saved file;

        1841 Peterhead Census
        ERROL STREET south end
        Francis Birnie 8 (living with)
        Andrew Lyon 77 lawyer
        Frances 68
        Ann 45
        Kathrine 30
        Rachel 1

        Hope this also helps a bit.

        Linda Adam
        Researching Birnie's in Peterhead

      • Roy Flett
        Message 3 of 7 , Sep 11, 2002
          Linda

          Thanks for this information. It is possible then that Frances
          Birnie's mother was Kathrine Lyon.

          I found the following in the Peterhead Episcopal Records

          John Birnie, seaman in Peterhead,a daughter Frances, in fornication,
          baptised 8 April 1833 before George Cumming and Alexander Greig.

          Unfortunatley no mother's name is given.

          Roy

          Service.

        • Linda Adam
          Message 4 of 7 , Sep 11, 2002
            Roy

            You certainly seem to have found the father of Frances Birnie. My female
            intuition would think that Margaret Lyon was the mother of Frances since
            Frances and her husband William Begrie named a daughter Margaret Lyon
            Begrie (most likely the twin sister of Grace Anderson Bergie, born Jul
            11 1869, Phd.).

            Katherine Lyon is a mystery. Would there perhaps be a sign of her on an
            1851 census? Also who's child was Rachel, age 1 yr. on the 1841 census?

            I'm still checking and hope you will keep me posted if you find further
            information.

            Regards,
            Linda

            Roy Flett wrote:

            > Linda
            >
            > Thanks for this information. It is possible then that Frances
            > Birnie's mother was Kathrine Lyon.
            >
            > I found the following in the Peterhead Episcopal Records
            >

            > John Birnie, seaman in Peterhead,a daughter Frances, in fornication,
            > baptised 8 April 1833 before George Cumming and Alexander Greig.
            >
            > Unfortunatley no mother's name is given.
            >
            > Roy
            >
            > --- In Peterhead@y..., Linda Adam <taadam@s...> wrote:
            > > Roy,
            > > I came across this information in my saved file;
            > >
            > > 1841 Peterhead Census
            > > ERROL STREET south end
            > > Francis Birnie 8 (living with)
            > > Andrew Lyon 77 lawyer
            > > Frances 68
            > > Ann 45
            > > Kathrine 30
            > > Rachel 1
            > >
            > > Hope this also helps a bit.
            > >
            > > Linda Adam
            > > Researching Birnie's in Peterhead
            > >
            > > Roy Flett wrote:
            > >
            > > > Wade
            > > >
            > > > Thanks for this information which confirms that I have the right
            > > > Francis Begrie in the 1881 Census.
            > > >
            > > > I also got the following information from the 1861 census for
            > > > Peterhead:
            > > >

            > > > Pool Lane
            > > >
            > > > Margaret Lyon head 55 born Peterhead
            > > > Francis Beggary niece 28 born Peterhead
            > > > Mary Jane Beggary sister's dau 8 born Peterhead
            > > > William Beggary sister's son born Peterhead
            > > >
            > > > It would appear that Francis Begrie nee Birnie was the daughter
            > of a
            > > > sister of Margaret and Anne Lyon who may have married a Birnie
            > though
            > > > I can't find a marriage in the IGI. Frances Birnie may have been
            > > > illegitimate.
            > > >
            > > > Andrew Lyon and Fanny Abernethy appear to have had at least four
            > > > children in Peterhead
            > > >
            > > > Anne b 1797
            > > > Andrew b 1802 d 1870 Peterhead
            > > > Margaret b 1809 d 1870 Peterhead
            > > > and an daughter who was the mother of Francis Birnie b circa 1833
            > > > Peterhead who married William Begrie 1851 Peterhead
            > > >
            > > > Does anyone researching Lyons or Birnies in Peterhead have any
            > clues
            > > > on the identity of Frances Birnie?
            > > >
            > > > I know
            > > >
            > > > Roy

            > > > Greig,
            > Abernethy. The

            > Aberdeen
            > > > in
            >
            > > > Birnie

            > > > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
            > >

            > > > Peterhead Genealogy at http://www.axs.com.au/~wsb/
            > > >
            > > > To unsubscribe send a messaged to:

            > Service.

            > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
            [Image]

            Message 5 of 7 , Sep 11, 2002
              Linda

              I oringanlly thought Margaret was the mother but in the 1861 census
              Fanny is described as niece of Margaret Lyon who is the head of the
              household.

              I suspect there was also a brother James Lyon from the following
              baptism:

              James Lyon, seaman in Peterhead and Margaret Ritchie his wife, a
              daughter Fanny born 19 June 1832 and baptised 5 October before
              William Abernethy and Andrew Lyon.

              There does just seem to be one family of Begries in Peterhead but
              I'll need to try to unravel them from the records.