Mitchell ancestors (plus 2nd cousin link to Cobban, Penny & Schivas)

  • baffledofedinburgh
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 5, 2002
      My gg grandfather was John Gilchrist Mitchell, who was a fish curer
      of 21 King Street. (30/4/1818 - April/May 1896). His wife was Grace
      Anderson b 1818 Abernethy and died about 1886. He had 7 sons and
      four daughters.

      I had been told that his father, who was drowned off the Scaurs of
      Cruden, was William Mitchell who was the husband of Sarah Sangster.

      But Alex Ritchie says "I am only aware of William Mitchell/Sarah
      Sangster having a son George Mitchell, a son William D.Mitchell and
      the above daughter Jannet." (Thanks Alex.) 3 of John the fishcurer's
      children were called Sarah, William and George - this seems like a
      bit of a coincidence.

      Does anyone have any information about this other, possible child of
      William's? When John was born in 1818, his family lived in the
      Ronheads and were probably Episcopalians. Are that church's records
      publicly available?

      Are there any other descendants of John Mitchell posting to this
      group?

      Regards,

      Iain Wright
    • royflett
      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 5, 2002
        Iain

        I have some information on William Mitchell and Sarah Sangster. I
        don't have a John Mitchell as a son but haven't followed this line. I
        do however have another child to William and Sarah:

        Sarah Mitchell baptised 24 May 1810 Aberdeen.

        As John Mitchell was alive in 1881 in Peterhead, it should be
        possible to check his death. I assume from your id that you live in
        Edinburgh with access to Register House.

        Roy