Ann LYON and Alexander GREIG

  • royflett
    Message 1 of 7 , Sep 3, 2002
      Ann Greig d 19 April 1859, Errol Street, married to Alexander Greig,
      blacksmith, aged 62, parents: Andrew lyon and Fanny Abernethy. The
      death was notified by Francis Begrie, niece.

      Can anyone help with the identity of Frances Begrie. There is a
      Francis Birnie Begrie, widow of William Begrie living in Aberdeen in
      1881 born circa 1833 Peterhead. She would appear to be Frances Birnie
      from the births of her daughter Grace Begrie in Peterhead.

      If this is the same Francis Begrie, who was her mother?

      Thanks

      Roy
      Message 2 of 7 , Sep 10, 2002
        Hi Roy,

        royflett wrote:

        > Ann Greig d 19 April 1859, Errol Street, married to Alexander Greig,
        > blacksmith, aged 62, parents: Andrew lyon and Fanny Abernethy. The
        > death was notified by Francis Begrie, niece.
        >
        > Can anyone help with the identity of Frances Begrie. There is a
        > Francis Birnie Begrie, widow of William Begrie living in Aberdeen in
        > 1881 born circa 1833 Peterhead. She would appear to be Frances Birnie
        > from the births of her daughter Grace Begrie in Peterhead.
        >
        > If this is the same Francis Begrie, who was her mother?

        1851 Census
        District 5, Page 4, No. 19, Love Lane
        Fanny Lyon, head, widow, 78, pauper, Peterhead
        Ann Lyon, daughter, mar, 52, pauper, Peterhead
        Margaret Lyon, dau, unmar, 42, washer woman, Peterhead
        Frances Birnie, grand child, unmar, 18, net weaver, Peterhead

        Hope this helps.

      • Roy Flett
        Message 3 of 7 , Sep 10, 2002
          Wade

          Thanks for this information which confirms that I have the right
          Francis Begrie in the 1881 Census.

          I also got the following information from the 1861 census for
          Peterhead:

          Pool Lane

          Margaret Lyon head 55 born Peterhead
          Francis Beggary niece 28 born Peterhead
          Mary Jane Beggary sister's dau 8 born Peterhead
          William Beggary sister's son born Peterhead

          It would appear that Francis Begrie nee Birnie was the daughter of a
          sister of Margaret and Anne Lyon who may have married a Birnie though
          I can't find a marriage in the IGI. Frances Birnie may have been
          illegitimate.

          Andrew Lyon and Fanny Abernethy appear to have had at least four
          children in Peterhead

          Anne b 1797
          Andrew b 1802 d 1870 Peterhead
          Margaret b 1809 d 1870 Peterhead
          and an daughter who was the mother of Francis Birnie b circa 1833
          Peterhead who married William Begrie 1851 Peterhead

          Does anyone researching Lyons or Birnies in Peterhead have any clues
          on the identity of Frances Birnie?

          I know

          Roy

          @y..., Wade Buchan <wsb@a...> wrote:
          > Hi Roy,
          >
          > royflett wrote:
          >
          > > Ann Greig d 19 April 1859, Errol Street, married to Alexander
          Greig,
          > > blacksmith, aged 62, parents: Andrew lyon and Fanny Abernethy. The
          > > death was notified by Francis Begrie, niece.
          > >
          > > Can anyone help with the identity of Frances Begrie. There is a
          > > Francis Birnie Begrie, widow of William Begrie living in Aberdeen
          in
          > > 1881 born circa 1833 Peterhead. She would appear to be Frances
          Birnie
          > > from the births of her daughter Grace Begrie in Peterhead.
          > >
          > > If this is the same Francis Begrie, who was her mother?
          >
          > 1851 Census
          > District 5, Page 4, No. 19, Love Lane
          > Fanny Lyon, head, widow, 78, pauper, Peterhead
          > Ann Lyon, daughter, mar, 52, pauper, Peterhead
          > Margaret Lyon, dau, unmar, 42, washer woman, Peterhead
          > Frances Birnie, grand child, unmar, 18, net weaver, Peterhead
          >
          > Hope this helps.
          >
          > Regards, Wade.

        • Linda Adam
          Message 4 of 7 , Sep 11, 2002
            Roy,
            I came across this information in my saved file;

            1841 Peterhead Census
            ERROL STREET south end
            Francis Birnie 8 (living with)
            Andrew Lyon 77 lawyer
            Frances 68
            Ann 45
            Kathrine 30
            Rachel 1

            Hope this also helps a bit.

            Linda Adam
            Researching Birnie's in Peterhead

          • Roy Flett
            Message 5 of 7 , Sep 11, 2002
              Linda

              Thanks for this information. It is possible then that Frances
              Birnie's mother was Kathrine Lyon.

              I found the following in the Peterhead Episcopal Records

              John Birnie, seaman in Peterhead,a daughter Frances, in fornication,
              baptised 8 April 1833 before George Cumming and Alexander Greig.

              Unfortunatley no mother's name is given.

              Roy

              Service.

            • Linda Adam
              Message 6 of 7 , Sep 11, 2002
                Roy

                You certainly seem to have found the father of Frances Birnie. My female
                intuition would think that Margaret Lyon was the mother of Frances since
                Frances and her husband William Begrie named a daughter Margaret Lyon
                Begrie (most likely the twin sister of Grace Anderson Bergie, born Jul
                11 1869, Phd.).

                Katherine Lyon is a mystery. Would there perhaps be a sign of her on an
                1851 census? Also who's child was Rachel, age 1 yr. on the 1841 census?

                I'm still checking and hope you will keep me posted if you find further
                information.

                Regards,
                Linda

                Roy Flett wrote:

                > Linda
                >
                > Thanks for this information. It is possible then that Frances
                > Birnie's mother was Kathrine Lyon.
                >
                > I found the following in the Peterhead Episcopal Records
                >

                > John Birnie, seaman in Peterhead,a daughter Frances, in fornication,
                > baptised 8 April 1833 before George Cumming and Alexander Greig.
                >
                > Unfortunatley no mother's name is given.
                >
                > Roy
                >
                > --- In Peterhead@y..., Linda Adam <taadam@s...> wrote:
                > > Roy,
                > > I came across this information in my saved file;
                > >
                > > 1841 Peterhead Census
                > > ERROL STREET south end
                > > Francis Birnie 8 (living with)
                > > Andrew Lyon 77 lawyer
                > > Frances 68
                > > Ann 45
                > > Kathrine 30
                > > Rachel 1
                > >
                > > Hope this also helps a bit.
                > >
                > > Linda Adam
                > > Researching Birnie's in Peterhead
                > >
                > > Roy Flett wrote:
                > >
                > > > Wade
                > > >
                > > > Thanks for this information which confirms that I have the right
                > > > Francis Begrie in the 1881 Census.
                > > >
                > > > I also got the following information from the 1861 census for
                > > > Peterhead:
                > > >

                > > > Pool Lane
                > > >
                > > > Margaret Lyon head 55 born Peterhead
                > > > Francis Beggary niece 28 born Peterhead
                > > > Mary Jane Beggary sister's dau 8 born Peterhead
                > > > William Beggary sister's son born Peterhead
                > > >
                > > > It would appear that Francis Begrie nee Birnie was the daughter
                > of a
                > > > sister of Margaret and Anne Lyon who may have married a Birnie
                > though
                > > > I can't find a marriage in the IGI. Frances Birnie may have been
                > > > illegitimate.
                > > >
                > > > Andrew Lyon and Fanny Abernethy appear to have had at least four
                > > > children in Peterhead
                > > >
                > > > Anne b 1797
                > > > Andrew b 1802 d 1870 Peterhead
                > > > Margaret b 1809 d 1870 Peterhead
                > > > and an daughter who was the mother of Francis Birnie b circa 1833
                > > > Peterhead who married William Begrie 1851 Peterhead
                > > >
                > > > Does anyone researching Lyons or Birnies in Peterhead have any
                > clues
                > > > on the identity of Frances Birnie?
                > > >
                > > > I know
                > > >
                > > > Roy

                > > > Greig,
                > Abernethy. The

                > Aberdeen
                > > > in
                >
                > > > Birnie

                > > > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
                > >

                > > > Peterhead Genealogy at http://www.axs.com.au/~wsb/
                > > >
                > > > To unsubscribe send a messaged to:

                > Service.

                > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
                [Image]

                Message 7 of 7 , Sep 11, 2002
                  Linda

                  I oringanlly thought Margaret was the mother but in the 1861 census
                  Fanny is described as niece of Margaret Lyon who is the head of the
                  household.

                  I suspect there was also a brother James Lyon from the following
                  baptism:

                  James Lyon, seaman in Peterhead and Margaret Ritchie his wife, a
                  daughter Fanny born 19 June 1832 and baptised 5 October before
                  William Abernethy and Andrew Lyon.

                  There does just seem to be one family of Begries in Peterhead but
                  I'll need to try to unravel them from the records.