Birnie

  • dundeealex
    Message 1 of 7 , Aug 29, 2002
      Hi! Alex,
      Really glad to have been of help it's not often I can, LOL
      Here are a couple of things on Birnie as appear in Whaling Records

      BIRNIE R. SIR CHARLES CAMPBELL PETERHEAD 1861
      BIRNIE J. HANNIBAL PETERHEAD 1836
      BIRNIE TAY DUNDEE 1865

      I would guess Birnie R. And Birnie are the same person it may help
      you further in pinning down dates.

      Alex
      Message 2 of 7 , May 17, 2003
        I'm forwarding this message to list after checking with Laurie that it
        was okay. I know a few people on the list are researching the Alexander
        Birnie and Elizabeth McKessock. You will need to reply directing to
        Laurie as he is not on the list.

        Regards, Wade.

        Subject: 1851 Census Craighead
        Date: Sun, 11 May 2003 09:15:49 -0600
        From: "L.D.Malette" <malette@...>
        To: "Wade Buchan" <wsb@...>

        Hi Wade,

        Thanks for your help. This is not an easy one to figure out. Sarah
        Craighead's maiden name was Milne and she
        was born St. Fergus, Banff, about 1824. I suspect that in 1851 they must
        have lived in Boddam because some
        of their children record their place of birth as Boddam. The daughter
        that I am interested in was born at
        Stirlinghill which I believe are quarries. She was Ann Craighead born 3
        July 1856 and would have been my
        gggrandmother. The twist to this story - my great- grandmother was
        illegitimate but her father was David
        Forbes. My great-grandmother was raised by the Forbes family in
        Caithness. She was born the 20 December
        1874 and David Forbes married Janet Willox Birnie (thus the Birnie
        interest) on 12 May 1875. I have lost David
        and Janet after the 1881 census which makes me believe they might have
        emigrated to Canada or Australia.
        One of Janet's brothers went to Fremantle, eventually returning to
        Peterhead. I have also tried looking for a
        death registration for David/Janet but come up with nothing. So I am
        trying to chase down the Birnie family and
        hope I might find a clue! I have a number of registrations - would you
        like me to contribute them to your
        collection of records? Thanks again...

        Laurie