Andrew Simpson

  • Alex Ritchie
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 18 1:12 PM
      For Wade :

      Hi Wade,
      When you get a chance could you look up the 1851 Census (Peterhead) for :

      ANDREW SIMPSON (Estimate his age in 1851 to be about 42)
      ELIZABETH SIMPSON (nee MARTIN) (Age around 40)
      JEAN INNES SIMPSON (Age in 1851 - 22)
      ELIZABETH MARTIN SIMPSON (AGE in 1851 - 20)

      Of course the last two names could have been married by then and not staying with the parents.
      Many Thanks

      Alex Ritchie

      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 6, 2002
        Hi Alex,

        Alex Ritchie wrote:

        > When you get a chance could you look up the 1851
        > Census (Peterhead) for :
        >
        > ANDREW SIMPSON (Estimate his age in 1851 to be about 42)
        > ELIZABETH SIMPSON (nee MARTIN) (Age around 40)
        > JEAN INNES SIMPSON (Age in 1851 - 22)
        > ELIZABETH MARTIN SIMPSON (AGE in 1851 - 20)

        Sorry didn't find them, only one Andrew aged 66.

      • Alex Ritchie
        Message 3 of 3 , Mar 10, 2003
          Hi All,
          I have been trying to track down an Andrew Simpson who married Elizabeth Martin in Peterhead in 1828. In the Parish Record marriage entry it lists Andrew Simpson as "sailor in North Shields, England" although I am pretty sure he was born in Peterhead. (As a matter of interest, I believe Andrew Simpson to be a younger brother of the well-known Peterhead whaling captain George Simpson).
          Andrew Simpson & Elizabeth Martin were living in the Roanheads and had a daughter (Jean Innes) born Aug.18th.1829 and a daughter (Elizabeth Martin) born June 29th.1831.
          After these events I cannot trace any of them in Scotland (Statutory Records, Census etc). I strongly suspect they would have moved out of Scotland and my guess would be they went to either Australia or England. (Australia because they had relatives go to Australia around that timeframe ; England because maybe he returned to North Shields where he had been just prior to his marriage).
          If anyone has access to Australian marriage or death records, maybe they could come across their names there (either Andrew Simpson, his wife and/or daughters). My guess again would be that if they went to Australia they went to the Melbourne or Geelong area. Likewise, if anyone has access to English records any clues would be greatly appreciated.
          I have a few "educated guesses" in there, but any help would be gratefully received.

          Alex Ritchie