Alexander Scroggie

  • Donna Callaghan
    Message 1 of 6 , Jul 7, 2002
      Hi Sharon,

      I did see this family on the 1881 census, but I thought there might be
      too many girls for it to be the same family as mine. The photo I have,
      taken about 1905, is of Alexander Scroggie Jnr and his wife Sarah
      Morrice and 2 other Scroggie men. One of them could be Alexander Snr I
      suppose, but in your family there are no other sons.

      What I know about my Alexander Scroggie: He and Sarah Morrice (born born
      25 January 1885 in Cruden) were married in Scotland, adopted a son named
      Ferguson in Scotland, and emigrated to Canada.

      Another Morrice family member (who is still fit and well at age 95!)
      visited Sarah and her family in Canada in the 50's. She recalls that
      they were a different religion to most of other Morrices. Usually the
      Morrice family members were Presbyterian, but Alexander and Sarah were a
      stricter religion and she thought it was Brethren. I am not sure if
      this was Alexander's religion or if they took up this religion in
      Canada.

      I will send you the Scroggie photo off list. They are a dashing lot!

      Donna
      Australia

      > Hi Donna,
      >
      > I have found five children for Alexander and Sarah :
      > Margaret b: July 2,1863 Peterhead
      > Mary Anne b: Nov. 15,1866 Peterhead
      > Sarah Jane b: Sept 10,1869 Ellon
      > Alexander W. b: 1880 Peterhead
      > Williamina b: Oct.22,1874 Peterhead ( she was not listed on the 1881 census )
      > It's quite possible, we could have a match.
      >
      > Sharon
    • Dr. Elizabeth B. Holmes
      Message 2 of 6 , Jul 8, 2002
        Donna Callaghan wrote:

        > Hi Sharon,
        >
        > I did see this family on the 1881 census, but I thought there might be
        > too many girls for it to be the same family as mine. The photo I have,
        > taken about 1905, is of Alexander Scroggie Jnr and his wife Sarah
        > Morrice and 2 other Scroggie men. One of them could be Alexander Snr I
        > suppose, but in your family there are no other sons.
        >
        > What I know about my Alexander Scroggie: He and Sarah Morrice (born born
        > 25 January 1885 in Cruden) were married in Scotland, adopted a son named
        > Ferguson in Scotland, and emigrated to Canada.
        >
        > Another Morrice family member (who is still fit and well at age 95!)
        > visited Sarah and her family in Canada in the 50's. She recalls that
        > they were a different religion to most of other Morrices. Usually the
        > Morrice family members were Presbyterian, but Alexander and Sarah were a
        > stricter religion and she thought it was Brethren. I am not sure if
        > this was Alexander's religion or if they took up this religion in
        > Canada.
        >
        > I will send you the Scroggie photo off list. They are a dashing lot!
        >
        > Donna
        > Australia
        >

        > > Hi Donna,
        > >
        > > I have found five children for Alexander and Sarah :
        > > Margaret b: July 2,1863 Peterhead
        > > Mary Anne b: Nov. 15,1866 Peterhead
        > > Sarah Jane b: Sept 10,1869 Ellon
        > > Alexander W. b: 1880 Peterhead
        > > Williamina b: Oct.22,1874 Peterhead ( she was not listed on the 1881 census )
        Hi, your message touched off some memories! I have no connection to the
        Scroggie family--BUT-I was brought up in the Plymouth Brethren
        Assemblies. The name Alexander Scroggie is one I heard. I have a lot of
        my fathers & Grandfathers old books. If you wish I will look and see
        what I can find. Peterhead had of course its share of problems from the
        VERY strict lines of these Assemblies-as they were know as rather than
        churches. Betty.
      • S.J.Inkster
        Message 3 of 6 , Jul 8, 2002
          Hi Betty,
          I would appreciate any tidbits you may be able to find.
          Where is the Plymouth Brethren Assemblies ?
          Sharon