Cold Cencus Data

  • William Leslie
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 21, 2002
      Hello Folks;
      I thought that you would like this story. Margie has been doing great work for me, plodding through the graveyard in Longside, and lookind up my ancestors in the ANEFHS.
      Margie reported that in the 1851 census, she found my gg grandfather, James Leslie, at a place called Savoch, what appears to be his younger brother Joseph Leslie, but no wife.
      She then accidentally scrolled down and found Elizabeth Leslie, my gg grandmother, and Elizabeth Simpson, my ggg grandmother, and a John Simpson at a place called Eastlack.
      There were two puzzles here, where were these places, and why were my gg grandparents not together. I went to streetmap.co,uk, homed in on Longside, and zoomed in to a larger picture. There Ordenance maps are fantastic, they seem to name every building and any road intersection. We found Savoch, but not Eastlack as yet. I believe that they name every farm on these maps, but would appreciate it if someone would confirm or correct that.
      Secondly, I looked up my records of my gg grandparents, and found that my g grandfather, William Leslie, was preceded by an older sister Mary Leslie, who was born in January 1851. This would explain why Elizabeth Leslie was not with her husband at this time. (My assumption) She went home to her mother, to get help with her first baby.
      Also, since ggg grandfather William Simpson did not show up in the Census, he was probably dead at this time, but his brother (assumption) John Simpson was alive.
      This leaves some new leads to track down, but it was fun to be able to concoct a story from the cold facts of the Census data.
      Thanks Margie
      William Leslie