Re: Greig

  • Dulcie Innes
    Message 1 of 9 , Dec 11, 1998
      Dear Wade
      Thank you for your reply re Mary GREIG, and for the trouble you went to in
      your search. When I submitted her name I hoped that there might be
      someone researching the same family.

      Mary GREIG married John PHILLIPS on 17 October 1859 in Aberdeen. She was
      23. Parents - Alexander GREIG & Mary McBEATH.
      I found the christening of Mary GREIG, 29 March 1835, Peterhead, father -
      Alexander GREIG on the computer at the local FHC. Source was film No
      993354.
      I hoped there might be other members of the family in Peterhead.

      I appreciate your offer to search the 1841 census. If you could advise me
      the film to be searched I will order it from our local FHC and look for the
      family myself in Peterhead, as I know you must have many calls on your
      time.

      Thank you again.
      Dulcie Innes
      ----------

      Message 2 of 9 , Dec 19, 1998
        Hi Dulcie,

        Sorry for the delay in responding, that time of year again.

        Dulcie Innes wrote:

        > Mary GREIG married John PHILLIPS on 17 October 1859 in Aberdeen. She was
        > 23. Parents - Alexander GREIG & Mary McBEATH.

        Do you have their marriage certificate information? What was the
        residence of Mary at the time of marriage? What was Alexander's
        occupation? Were Mary's parents still alive? If so, then look for her
        parents death certificates.

        > I found the christening of Mary GREIG, 29 March 1835, Peterhead, father -
        > Alexander GREIG on the computer at the local FHC. Source was film No
        > 993354.

        I have the Peterhead OPR and will get the details of this, next time I
        get a chance.

        > I appreciate your offer to search the 1841 census. If you could advise me
        > the film to be searched I will order it from our local FHC and look for the
        > family myself in Peterhead, as I know you must have many calls on your
        > time.

        Sorry don't have the film number. I look at the film which is at my
        local Genealogical Society, you can get the film number from the LDS
        Locality Catalogue.
        I will have a look for your Greigs next time I'm searching through the
        census.

        Regards, Wade.
      • jcka2002
        Message 3 of 9 , May 16, 2003
          Hello Catherine,

          From your list of Greig family events I notice that Alexander Greig
          married Christian Milne on 12-8-54. Christian Milne is my
          GGGgrandmother's sister. Do you have any interest in this family.

          Thank you,
          Jim Adams
        • 2Barbara Croker
          Message 4 of 9 , May 16, 2003
            Hi Jim (Adams) and Catherine,
            I noted your interest in Christian Milne, who married an Alex Greig in 1854.
            My g-grandmother is also a Christian Milne, born about 1841 to Alexander
            Milne and Grizzel (Grace) Davidson, who married in 1827. I'm wondering if
            there's any connection.
            Also, I know they're her parents, from Christian's death certificate. She
            died in 1907 in Brisbane Australia, where she had migrated (by herself
            apparently) in 1868. However, I cannot find either Alexander Milne's birth,
            parents or siblings, nor Grace's. They would both have been born around
            1802 to 1804.
            Can anyone help?
            I noted in another email that poor records sometimes show births and
            marriages. Is this correct? And how do I look up these? Any help would be
            appreciated.
            Barbara

            >From: "jcka2002" <jckadams@...>
            >To: Peterhead@yahoogroups.com
            >Subject: [Peterhead] Greig
            >Date: Fri, 16 May 2003 16:46:07 -0000
            >
            >Hello Catherine,
            >
            >From your list of Greig family events I notice that Alexander Greig
            >married Christian Milne on 12-8-54. Christian Milne is my
            >GGGgrandmother's sister. Do you have any interest in this family.
            >
            >Thank you,
            > Jim Adams

            ninemsn Extra Storage is now available. Get larger attachments -
            send/receive up to 2MB attachments (up to 100 percent more per e-mail). Go
            to http://join.msn.com/?page=dept/home&pgmarket=en-au
          • CCI
            Message 5 of 9 , May 17, 2003
              Hi Jim,
              No I don't have any connection to this family that I know of.
              My connection is Ann Greig who married James Davidson in 1805.
              On the 1841 census she is listed age 60, making her born about 1780. There is an Anne Greig born to an Alexander Greig in 1782, and an Alexander Greig born 1776 to a father Alexander also. Whether this is the same family I'm not 100% sure.
              This is as far as I've got.
              Best wishes,
              Catherine

            • CCI
              Message 6 of 9 , May 17, 2003
                Hi Barbara, I'll have a look for Alexander and Grace Milne's births when I go to the Mormon's library on Tuesday night.
                Best wishes,
                Catherine

              • 2Barbara Croker
                Message 7 of 9 , May 19, 2003
                  Thanks Catherine for the look-up you're going to do foir me. I'll eagerly
                  await the results as I've had no luck so far - just guesses, so far. I'd
                  like to know whether Christian Milne had any siblings also. She is
                  Alexander Milne and Grace Davidson's daughter, born around 1841 - there must
                  have been you would think, because they were married in 1827. Thanks
                  again. Regards, Barbara

                  >From: "CCI" <cci@...>
                  >To: <Peterhead@yahoogroups.com>
                  >Subject: Re: [Peterhead] Greig
                  >Date: Sat, 17 May 2003 19:14:52 +0800
                  >
                  >Hi Barbara, I'll have a look for Alexander and Grace Milne's births when I
                  >go to the Mormon's library on Tuesday night.
                  >Best wishes,
                  >Catherine

                  ninemsn Extra Storage is now available. 30MB of storage on ninemsn Groups -
                  great for sharing photos and documents. Go to
                  Message 8 of 9 , May 21, 2003
                    Hi Barbara,

                    The only Alexander Milne and Grace (Grizzel) Davidson I saw was married in 1821 and no children. The Milne's and Davidson's maried with other christian names, there were heaps.

                    www.ancestry.co.uk has currently a 14 day free trial offer, BUT, you have to give your credit card details (which I did), and if you decide not to join, it's about 69 pound Brittish, you remove the details.

                    Anyway, I typed in Alexander Milne in Peterhead and 181 hits came up with the name Alexander and Milne in it for baptisms. The earliest date I saw was 1816 through to 1854. Some are baptisms, some are Alexr. Milne as a witness, some are for other Milne families.
                    I don't mind having a look for you tomorrow, or maybe you'd like to go to the site yourself.

                    Best wishes,
                    Catherine