Domestics who emigrated

  • Anne E. Parkes
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 6, 2002
      No doubt some paid their passage, but I'm of the understanding that some parish churches or organizations would provide assistance to domestics in a monetary sense to help them start a new life in Canada. Would anyone know if there was such a system in place or organization in Peterhead at the turn of the century, approx. 1900-1910? I'm given to understand that some organizations would loan them the money on the proviso that a portion of their pay was deducted until such time as the loan was paid back.

      Did Peterhead have it's own newspaper in 1910 where "opportunities abroad" were advertised?

      Anne Parkes
      Canada