Re: [Peterhead] How do I?

  • Mmm16dav@aol.com
    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 5, 2002
      Wade Hi,

      Thanks for the Buchan /Milne side that has saved a lot of work. It also adds
      the name of the yoles to the stories I have written on the history. I am now
      hopeful of having photos of those yoles to scan for inclusion in the history.
      At this rate it will never be finished.
      Others on the list linked to this are Bruce Milne and Ann - sorry Ann don't
      know your married name. Her g grandmother was Barbara Cow Buchan from the
      other side. I see there is also a Cow in the Milne/ Buchan side - ifthat
      links with Sylvia Cow and William Leslie I will have links with practically
      everyone on this list!!!!

      I knew about the connection with Alex but not with Violet - is that Chat's
      Arthur's? I have photos somewhere with Jessie Jean at a picnic across the
      water!

      The Strachan side is doubly confusing. My gg grandfather Sankey married a
      Strachan and you have linked both sides. I have Dide's side back to 1696 -
      that's through Puckles Sandy. The Robert Strachan line is Grandma's
      Robert Strachan c 1836 married 9 July 1857 died 15 July 1904 - his father
      Robert was born in England - check 1841 census. This was done by a researcher
      working for my cousin in Vancouver Island a number of years ago. I have not
      done any of this research myself. His wife as you say was Margaret Still - or
      Hill born c 17796 died 9 Nov 1862.

      Does George Strachan also run through this line cause if it does then I have
      two of his sons running through my line - one with Robert the other with
      Alexander!! Would that be right?

      On that same line Elizabeth Buchan whom you mention father John Buchan born
      c 1795 in Lonmay died 24/9/1882 in Peterhead was married to Margaret Ritchie
      christened 8 March 1799 Rathen died 16th SAugust 1855 at Peterhead. Here
      there is confusion as I then have both with Barbara May as mother - there
      would have to be two Barbara Mays as a brother couldn't marry his half
      sister!!!
      One has Peter Buchan as father and the other has John Ritchie as father but
      both have Barbara May as mother. That is impossible - the dates are around
      1770.

      This is the line I didn't want to do just yet till I had finished the Buchan/
      Milne line so any help will be gratefully received lol.

      Now the list can try to sort this lot out!! I am off to scan three albums of
      drifters for Scottish Week!!! What did I say about a quiet life?

      Regards to all

      Margie

    • Ken May
      Message 2 of 5 , Jun 16, 2002
        Margie,

        I have a John May, baptised Rathen 6 Sep 1718, married
        Barbara (Surname unknown) 26 Aug 1747. Their 13th
        child was Barbara, baptised Rathen 6 Nov 1769, who
        married John Ritchie on 17 March 1796.

        I only have this information, as gathered by others,
        but Rathen may give you a direction for records.

        Regards

        Ken May

        http://uk.my.yahoo.com
      • Mmm16dav@aol.com
        Message 3 of 5 , Jun 16, 2002
          In a message dated 16/06/2002 09:07:11 GMT Standard Time, kenjmay@...
          writes:

          I have a John May, baptised Rathen 6 Sep 1718, married
          Barbara (Surname unknown) 26 Aug 1747. Their 13th
          child was Barbara, baptised Rathen 6 Nov 1769, who
          married John Ritchie on 17 March 1796.

          This is great Ken - that looks as if it fits- that takes me to the next
          generation on my maternal Grandma's sde - the one where there are large gaps.
          Like you the information has been gathered by others so I have no idea where
          to check etc.
          Will attempt to get some advice next week and get back to you,

          Many thanks cousin - how many times removed???

          Margie