Re: [Peterhead] How do I?

    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 5, 2002
      Hi Cousin,

      fisherquine wrote:

      > Milne side- gg grandmother died 1914 aged 77. Father Peter Buchan -
      > mother Jean May.

      Your gg grandmother is my 1st Cousin 4 times removed. So I think that
      makes you and Violet 3rd Cousins and Alec is also your 3rd Cousin
      through this branch. I have sent information on this branch to your
      personal email address, as the newsgroup does not accept attachments.
      I've traced this branch of the Buchan's back to the early 1600's in
      Corskelly Lonmay. I will catch up on a few other emails and then send
      you more information.

      > Strachan(Sankey) side - Robert Strachan married Elizaeth Buchan 1857
      > at 44 Roanheads - his father was Robert and his mother was Margaret
      > Still. This male line goes through George in the next feneration and
      > Alexander after that - George married mary Bruce at Drumlinnie and
      > Alexander Strachan born 9th Feb 1768 was Puckles Sandy they then go
      > back to Corskelly.
      >
      > Elizabeth Buchan's father was John Buchan and her mother was Margaret
      > Ritchie - needless to say all the males are fishermen.

      I'm sure I found a connection last time with this branch for you, but
      will check again.

    • Mmm16dav@aol.com
      Message 2 of 5 , Jun 5, 2002
        Wade Hi,

        Thanks for the Buchan /Milne side that has saved a lot of work. It also adds
        the name of the yoles to the stories I have written on the history. I am now
        hopeful of having photos of those yoles to scan for inclusion in the history.
        At this rate it will never be finished.
        Others on the list linked to this are Bruce Milne and Ann - sorry Ann don't
        know your married name. Her g grandmother was Barbara Cow Buchan from the
        other side. I see there is also a Cow in the Milne/ Buchan side - ifthat
        links with Sylvia Cow and William Leslie I will have links with practically
        everyone on this list!!!!

        I knew about the connection with Alex but not with Violet - is that Chat's
        Arthur's? I have photos somewhere with Jessie Jean at a picnic across the
        water!

        The Strachan side is doubly confusing. My gg grandfather Sankey married a
        Strachan and you have linked both sides. I have Dide's side back to 1696 -
        that's through Puckles Sandy. The Robert Strachan line is Grandma's
        Robert Strachan c 1836 married 9 July 1857 died 15 July 1904 - his father
        Robert was born in England - check 1841 census. This was done by a researcher
        working for my cousin in Vancouver Island a number of years ago. I have not
        done any of this research myself. His wife as you say was Margaret Still - or
        Hill born c 17796 died 9 Nov 1862.

        Does George Strachan also run through this line cause if it does then I have
        two of his sons running through my line - one with Robert the other with
        Alexander!! Would that be right?

        On that same line Elizabeth Buchan whom you mention father John Buchan born
        c 1795 in Lonmay died 24/9/1882 in Peterhead was married to Margaret Ritchie
        christened 8 March 1799 Rathen died 16th SAugust 1855 at Peterhead. Here
        there is confusion as I then have both with Barbara May as mother - there
        would have to be two Barbara Mays as a brother couldn't marry his half
        sister!!!
        One has Peter Buchan as father and the other has John Ritchie as father but
        both have Barbara May as mother. That is impossible - the dates are around
        1770.

        This is the line I didn't want to do just yet till I had finished the Buchan/
        Milne line so any help will be gratefully received lol.

        Now the list can try to sort this lot out!! I am off to scan three albums of
        drifters for Scottish Week!!! What did I say about a quiet life?

        Regards to all

        Margie

      • Ken May
        Message 3 of 5 , Jun 16, 2002
          Margie,

          I have a John May, baptised Rathen 6 Sep 1718, married
          Barbara (Surname unknown) 26 Aug 1747. Their 13th
          child was Barbara, baptised Rathen 6 Nov 1769, who
          married John Ritchie on 17 March 1796.

          I only have this information, as gathered by others,
          but Rathen may give you a direction for records.

          Regards

          Ken May

          http://uk.my.yahoo.com
        • Mmm16dav@aol.com
          Message 4 of 5 , Jun 16, 2002
            In a message dated 16/06/2002 09:07:11 GMT Standard Time, kenjmay@...
            writes:

            I have a John May, baptised Rathen 6 Sep 1718, married
            Barbara (Surname unknown) 26 Aug 1747. Their 13th
            child was Barbara, baptised Rathen 6 Nov 1769, who
            married John Ritchie on 17 March 1796.

            This is great Ken - that looks as if it fits- that takes me to the next
            generation on my maternal Grandma's sde - the one where there are large gaps.
            Like you the information has been gathered by others so I have no idea where
            to check etc.
            Will attempt to get some advice next week and get back to you,

            Many thanks cousin - how many times removed???

            Margie