Re: "Old Inverugie"

  • Judy Hand
    Message 1 of 5 , Dec 8, 1998
      Ken May wrote:

      > From: Ken May <kenjmay@...>
      >
      > Wade,
      >
      > Over the weekend, I uncovered this delightful book called "Old
      > Inverugie", presented to Jessie Williamson May by James (?) Shivas of
      > 46 Queen Street, Peterhead, on Sept 24th, 1912, on the occasion of her
      > visit to Peterhead. It is the text, with accompanying photographs, of
      > a lecture delivered to the Peterhead Mutual Improvement Society by
      > William Boyd F.R.S.E. on Tuesday, 24th February, 1885. It was printed
      > in 1885 by the "East Aberdeenshire Observer" Office and W.L. Taylor.
      >
      > I don't know about copyright law and there are no copyright statements
      > in the booklet, so I wondered if it was of benefit to scan and post in
      > text format with the photos as attachments. If there is merit, let me
      > know.
      >
      > Regards
      >
      > Ken May
      >
      > Dear Ken,

      The address you mention, i.e.46 Queen Street, Peterhead, caught my
      attention as my ancestor, Eliza Stewart Leslie, died at 35 Queen Street
      in 1883. The name Williamson was her mother's maiden name, so there
      could be a family connection between Jessie Williamson May and Eliza.
      One of her sons named his daughter Jessie, so it could all tie in.

      Would it be possible to have a copy of the article? If it were an
      address given in 1885 it would relate to the time the family was living
      in Peterhead, and I would be very interested. If you could scan it and
      send it that would be great - otherwise, I can always send a stamped,
      addressed envelope!

      I look forward to hearing from you.

      Kind regards,
      Judy Hand
      Auckland NZ

      ������
    • susan willilamson
      Message 2 of 5 , Mar 9, 1999
        Dear Ken, I'm on the Peterhead list searching Williamsons--who is this
        Jessie Williamson and do you have any data on her?

        Sue Williamson
        Bellingham, WA

        >Over the weekend, I uncovered this delightful book called "Old
        >Inverugie", presented to Jessie Williamson May by James (?) Shivas of
        >46 Queen Street, Peterhead, on Sept 24th, 1912, on the occasion of her
        >visit to Peterhead. It is the text, with accompanying photographs, of
        >a lecture delivered to the Peterhead Mutual Improvement Society by
        >William Boyd F.R.S.E. on Tuesday, 24th February, 1885. It was printed
        >in 1885 by the "East Aberdeenshire Observer" Office and W.L. Taylor.
        >
        >I don't know about copyright law and there are no copyright statements
        >in the booklet, so I wondered if it was of benefit to scan and post in
        >text format with the photos as attachments. If there is merit, let me
        >know.
        >
        >Regards
        >
        >Ken May

      • Ken May
        Message 3 of 5 , Mar 19, 1999
          Susan,

          Jessie Williamson May was my grandfather's sister. John Alexander May
          was born in Peterhead and his father, John May, emigrated to New
          Zealand in the mid-1880's. My own question is why was Jessie given
          the second name of Williamson, when them family trend seems to have
          been to use family names for second names, e.g. John May married Janet
          (or Jannet) Milne and my uncle was named John Milne May, etc..

          At the moment, I am working 400 km away from my home PC and so replies
          may only occur at weekends, and only then if my wife lets me come home
          for the weekend (joke).

          Regards

          Ken