Re: [Peterhead] Seamen

  • Bruce Milne
    Message 1 of 20 , May 23, 2002
      Margie Hi,

      Barb, my Jewish wife, says that salmon fishermen should be called "lox"
      fishermen. Any questions?

      Regards, Bruce
    • Jean Cameron
      Message 2 of 20 , Sep 9, 2009
        Hello: I have the list of Seamen with ticket numbers. I believe we have about a dozen names that could be ours. Is there a way to confirm parents. I am working with the names Buchan, Bruce and Strachan. Hope to hear from you.

        Jean Cameron
        jeancameron-calif@...

      • william_scheyer
        Message 3 of 20 , Sep 15, 2009
          Jean:

          The Captain Robert Davidson I am related to had master's certificate number 32589.

          William Scheyer

          --- In Peterhead@yahoogroups.com, "Jean Cameron" <jeancameron-calif@...> wrote:

          > Hello: I have the list of Seamen with ticket numbers. I believe we have about a dozen names that could be ours. Is there a way to confirm parents. I am working with the names Buchan, Bruce and Strachan. Hope to hear from you.
          >
          > Jean Cameron
          > jeancameron-calif@...

        • Mary Barnes
          Message 4 of 20 , Sep 15, 2009
            To Jean and William,

            Note that it's important to distinguish between Seamen's and Master's
            tickets (see http://www.mariners-l.co.uk/UK19thCSeamen.html). If
            Jean's list is of seamen and their ticket numbers, Robert Davidson's
            Master's ticket will not be on it. From 1835, seamen had to be
            registered and their certificate of registration was called a ticket.
            But when an experienced seaman completed the process of qualifying as
            a master, he was issued with a new certificate, with a different number.

            I found out about my Peterhead shipmaster ancestors, first from Wade
            Buchan's website (go to http://users.bigpond.net.au/phdgen/, choose
            Miscellaneous Records and then Peterhead Seamen 1840s and 50s).
            Incidentally, there's only one Robert Davidson listed, born in
            Peterhead in 1791, seamen's ticket number 131108. If you think this is
            your guy, contact Wade. He has copies of the actual tickets.

            On a visit to Britain last year, I found out more about my shipmasters
            from the Lloyd's Captains Register, held at the Guildhall Library in
            London (see http://www.history.ac.uk/gh/capreg.htm). It has details of
            each Shipmaster's career after gaining his master's ticket.
            Unfortunately only the index is available online (see http://www.history.ac.uk/gh/capintro.htm
            ), and even that is not yet complete. However, the Ds are complete,
            and I notice that although there are many Robert Davidsons on it,
            there is only one born in Peterhead (in 1839), with Master's
            certificate of competency number C32589, changed to C32598, awarded at
            London in 1875. I've no idea why the number might have been changed,
            maybe just an error in the original entry. You need the number of the
            master's ticket to find out more. At the library in the National
            Maritime Museum in Greenwich I was able (armed with the number) to get
            a copy of the actual "ticket" and, much more important, his
            application for the ticket, which gave details of his career as a
            mariner up till that time, including all the ships he had sailed on.
            If you are not able to visit London, you could probably get a
            researcher to look up the records for you, but it's not nearly as
            exciting as going there in person and handling the actual records!

            I hope this is of some help.

            Mary Barnes
            marysb@...
          • Jean Cameron
            Message 5 of 20 , Sep 15, 2009
              To Mary Barnes: Thankyou for your imput about the seamen's tickets. I will be in touch with Wade. Jean
[...]

            • William E. Scheyer
              Message 6 of 20 , Sep 16, 2009
                Mary:

                Thanks for your help. My Robert Davidson was born on October 28, 1840 in
                Cruden. So, perhaps the Robert Davidson with ticket number 131108 was his
                father or grandfather. I can see this will take a lot more work although, I
                do have many crew lists etc. from the national archives showing Captain
                Robert Davidson Certificate number 32589. Perhaps I'll contact Wade also.

                Regards,

                William

                Message 7 of 20 , Sep 16, 2009
                  William,

                  I think it really would be worth your while to go (or get someone to
                  go for you) to both the Guildhall Library and the National Maritime
                  Museum, because between the two you would get the complete career
                  history of the Robert Davidson who had master's ticket C32589 /
                  C32598, who seems to be the one you're interested in (but better check
                  both numbers, as it's not clear when or why the number was changed).

                  Mary

                  Mary Barnes
                  marysb@...

                • William E. Scheyer
                  Message 8 of 20 , Sep 17, 2009
                    Mary:

                    You are quite correct. But, since I live in the USA I'll need to get someone
                    to do the leg work for me. Do you have a list of such people?

                    Message 9 of 20 , Sep 18, 2009
                      On 18/09/2009, at 10:28 AM, William E. Scheyer wrote
                      > Mary:
                      >
                      > You are quite correct. But, since I live in the USA I'll need to get
                      > someone
                      > to do the leg work for me. Do you have a list of such people?
                      >
                      > William

                      I don't have a list for London, but I know such people exist, and have
                      used one in another city. Try googling something like "genealogical
                      researcher London" and see what you get.

                      Mary

                    • Jean Cameron
                      Message 10 of 20 , Sep 18, 2009
                        Can someone please tell me the requirements to get a seamen's ticket early 1800's. Thanks.

                        Jean Cameron

                      • Mary Barnes
                        Message 11 of 20 , Sep 18, 2009
                          Hi Jean,

                          I don't think there were any requirements for a "ticket" except that
                          the man would have had to be employed on a seagoing vessel. And I'm
                          not sure if it applied to all vessels in the coastal trade, maybe only
                          to those visiting foreign ports. The Mates' and Master's tickets were
                          a different matter. To get these, a seaman had to provide his record
                          of experience and pass exams. The exceptioin was when the system was
                          first introduced, when experienced seamen who had already been in
                          command of vessels were granted master's certificates on the basis of
                          their experience only.

                          See http://www.mariners-l.co.uk/UK19thCSeamen.html.
                          Organised service records of a seaman's career do not commence until
                          1835.
                          The Merchant Shipping Act of 1835 required masters of all ships to
                          file Agreements and Crew Lists with the Registrar General of Shipping
                          and Seamen.
                          From 1844, any seaman leaving the UK was required to have a register
                          ticket, details being entered in this series of registers. This
                          register gives the name, place of birth and Register Ticket number.
                          The ticket system was abandoned in 1857.

                          See also The National Archives Research guide merchant Seaman
                          Registers of Service 1835-1857 http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/catalogue/RdLeaflet.asp?sLeafletID=127&j=1

                          On 19/09/2009, at 10:32 AM, Jean Cameron wrote:

                          > Can someone please tell me the requirements to get a seamen's ticket
                          > early 1800's. Thanks.
                          >
                          > Jean Cameron,___

                          Mary Barnes
                          marysb@...

                        • Jean Cameron
                          Message 12 of 20 , Sep 19, 2009
                            Hi Mary: Thanks so much for your information, one of these days I hope to pull it all together. Jean
[...]

                            From 1844, any seaman leaving the UK was required to have a register
                            ticket, details being entered in this series of registers. This
                            register gives the name, place of birth and Register Ticket number.
                            The ticket system was abandoned in 1857.

                            See also The National Archives Research guide merchant Seaman
                            Registers of Service 1835-1857 http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/catalogue/RdLeaflet.asp?sLeafletID=127&j=1

                            On 19/09/2009, at 10:32 AM, Jean Cameron wrote:

                            > Can someone please tell me the requirements to get a seamen's ticket
                            > early 1800's. Thanks.
                            >
                            > Jean Cameron,___

                            Mary Barnes
                            marysb@...

                          • William E. Scheyer
                            Message 13 of 20 , Dec 29, 2009
                              Mary:

                              I followed your advise and hired a researcher. It was well worth the cost as
                              I now have not only a report but also photos of all my GGGrandfather's
                              certificates and applications for same.

                              Message 14 of 20 , Jan 7, 2010
                                Good to hear from you again, William. I'm glad that it worked out well for you. These certificates are full of information, aren't they?

                                Mary

                                On 30/12/2009, at 11:21 AM, William E. Scheyer wrote:

                                > Mary:
                                >
                                > I followed your advise and hired a researcher. It was well worth the cost as
                                > I now have not only a report but also photos of all my GGGrandfather's
                                > certificates and applications for same.
                                >
                                > William

                                Mary Barnes
                                marysb@...

                              • William E. Scheyer
                                Message 15 of 20 , Jan 13, 2010
                                  Mary:

                                  Yes, the certificates hold plenty of information. I even learned about ships
                                  my gggfather captained I never knew about. Once again, thanks for your
                                  advice.

                                  William

                                  Good to hear from you again, William. I'm glad that it worked out well for
                                  you. These certificates are full of information, aren't they?

                                  Mary

                                  On 30/12/2009, at 11:21 AM, William E. Scheyer wrote:

                                  > Mary:
                                  >
                                  > I followed your advise and hired a researcher. It was well worth the
                                  cost as
                                  > I now have not only a report but also photos of all my GGGrandfather's
                                  > certificates and applications for same.
                                  >
                                  > William

                                  Mary Barnes
                                  marysb@...