Re: [Peterhead] Leslies of Peterhead

  • Mmm16dav@aol.com
    Message 1 of 9 , May 13, 2002
      William and Judy,

      I am a member of the Aberdeen FHS - I go in regularly - what would you like
      me to try and find out for you? - perhaps William's connections may also link
      to mine as well.

      Margie(Cowe)

    • William Leslie
      Message 2 of 9 , May 13, 2002
        Hello Margie;
        This is a great offer. I need some more information on my gg grandfather,
        James Leslie farmer of Longside (1827? to December 21, 1857 ) or my ggg
        grandfather John Leslie, Crofter of Longside, (no dates, no wife?).
        I have SRO documents that prove James Leslie and Elizabeth Simpson to be mt
        gg grandparents. The only information I have on John Leslie is from James
        Leslie's death certificate, Longside, 1857.
        I would like to get beyond this information to John Leslie. I have
        information on a John Leslie born 1800 to Robert and Mary Leslie of
        Longside, but I need another piece of information to decide whether this is
        my John Leslie, the 1800 date seems right, he would have been 27 when James
        was born,and how many John leslies could have been born in Longside at the
        same time? There may be information about Crofters in Longside in the
        1800's.
        Anything new you can find would be great. Thanks again for the great offer.
        Sylvia and Mike and possibly Sylvia's Mom, Netta from Peterhead will be
        coming to a large Leslie family reunion at our house in July, which is
        taking place in association with the Clan Leslie Gathering in Orillia,
        Ontario. The Chief of the Clan Leslie, the Earl of Rothes and the Countess
        will also be attending.
        Regards
        William Leslie

        > I am a member of the Aberdeen FHS - I go in regularly - what would you
        like
        > me to try and find out for you? - perhaps William's connections may also
        link
        > to mine as well.
        >
        > Margie(Cowe)

      • William Leslie
        Message 3 of 9 , May 13, 2002
          Hello Judy;
          As you may note from my varous messages, I have documented information to
          the name only of my ggg John Leslie, probably born in Longside about 1800,
          but I am stuck there. A am a member of the ANEFHS, and I did go into their
          offices once, but I was at an early stage of my research. I need to go to
          Longside and read gravestones of talk to people there. I don't know if there
          any Leslies left in Longside.
          Margie's offer to do some searching is great. I hope she can find something.
          Regards
          William
          Message 4 of 9 , May 13, 2002
            How many Leslies do you want you two!! there is an A Leslie in Mintlaw

            a John Leslie in Peterhead and a JG Leslie in Longside- and the house the
            Longside one lives in is an old one -

            Regards

            Margie

            a John Leslie in Peterhead and a JG in Longside