Leslies of Peterhead

  • Judy Hand
    Message 1 of 9 , May 13, 2002
      Hello William
      No, I have not managed to track my Leslie's back any further than the
      Peter Leslie who married Jane Smith in 1801 at Peterhead. I have
      traced Jane's family (I think) from the parish records available, and I
      have a possible John Leslie who may have been Peter's father, but I can
      only say 'may' because I have no proof. I remember about 50 years ago
      (!) my father saying that his family came from the Orkneys, but he
      didn't say which family, but, if it were true, the Leslie's seem the
      most likely. However, I'm not at all sure he really knew much about
      them, as a lot of the other details he gave me are incorrect.

      I agree with you that it seems unlikely our two families had no
      connection, and I feel if you can't find out more about your family I
      probably won't have much success finding out more about mine. I do,
      however, think it time I joined the Aberdeen & N.E. Scotland FHS, so
      perhaps someone there may be able to help.

      In the meantime, I can just keep plodding away but, should I find
      anything of sugnificance, I'll certainly let you know.

      Nice to hear from you again,
      Judy Hand
    • Mmm16dav@aol.com
      Message 2 of 9 , May 13, 2002
        William and Judy,

        I am a member of the Aberdeen FHS - I go in regularly - what would you like
        me to try and find out for you? - perhaps William's connections may also link
        to mine as well.

        Margie(Cowe)

      • William Leslie
        Message 3 of 9 , May 13, 2002
          Hello Margie;
          This is a great offer. I need some more information on my gg grandfather,
          James Leslie farmer of Longside (1827? to December 21, 1857 ) or my ggg
          grandfather John Leslie, Crofter of Longside, (no dates, no wife?).
          I have SRO documents that prove James Leslie and Elizabeth Simpson to be mt
          gg grandparents. The only information I have on John Leslie is from James
          Leslie's death certificate, Longside, 1857.
          I would like to get beyond this information to John Leslie. I have
          information on a John Leslie born 1800 to Robert and Mary Leslie of
          Longside, but I need another piece of information to decide whether this is
          my John Leslie, the 1800 date seems right, he would have been 27 when James
          was born,and how many John leslies could have been born in Longside at the
          same time? There may be information about Crofters in Longside in the
          1800's.
          Anything new you can find would be great. Thanks again for the great offer.
          Sylvia and Mike and possibly Sylvia's Mom, Netta from Peterhead will be
          coming to a large Leslie family reunion at our house in July, which is
          taking place in association with the Clan Leslie Gathering in Orillia,
          Ontario. The Chief of the Clan Leslie, the Earl of Rothes and the Countess
          will also be attending.
          Regards
          William Leslie

          > I am a member of the Aberdeen FHS - I go in regularly - what would you
          like
          > me to try and find out for you? - perhaps William's connections may also
          link
          > to mine as well.
          >
          > Margie(Cowe)

        • William Leslie
          Message 4 of 9 , May 13, 2002
            Hello Judy;
            As you may note from my varous messages, I have documented information to
            the name only of my ggg John Leslie, probably born in Longside about 1800,
            but I am stuck there. A am a member of the ANEFHS, and I did go into their
            offices once, but I was at an early stage of my research. I need to go to
            Longside and read gravestones of talk to people there. I don't know if there
            any Leslies left in Longside.
            Margie's offer to do some searching is great. I hope she can find something.

          • Mmm16dav@aol.com
            Message 5 of 9 , May 13, 2002
              How many Leslies do you want you two!! there is an A Leslie in Mintlaw

              a John Leslie in Peterhead and a JG Leslie in Longside- and the house the
              Longside one lives in is an old one -

              Regards

              Margie

              a John Leslie in Peterhead and a JG in Longside