what size task

  • dundeealex
    Message 1 of 2 , May 7, 2002
      Hi!
      I have come to a bit of a stop, and I may have to call on a relative
      in Dundee to go to the local Dundee library and search Death records
      for a John Robertson who was alive on 1879 probable age 60 how
      formidable a task is this???

      What would be the best search strategy for finding and recognising it
      as his i.e. would my great grandmas name Martha Black be on his death
      cert even if he remarried.

      The only certain thing I have is his marr. date in Peterhead Dec. 1851

      I do not want to ask the impossible of my relative.
      Alex
    • dmatt
      Message 2 of 2 , May 7, 2002
        Alex,

        I have come to a bit of a stop, and I may have to call on a relative
        >in Dundee to go to the local Dundee library and search Death records
        >for a John Robertson who was alive on 1879 probable age 60 how
        >formidable a task is this???

        Have you tried Scots Origins, the website covers deaths throughout Scotland
        up to 1924 or 1925. It will save a lot of time and costs £6 for 24 hours or
        30 pages.

        What would be the best search strategy for finding and recognising it
        >as his i.e. would my great grandmas name Martha Black be on his death
        >cert even if he remarried.

        Possibly.

        The only certain thing I have is his marr. date in Peterhead Dec. 1851

        This is before central registration but if you check the witnesses it may
        give a clue. Have you asked the Aberdeen and North-East Scotland Family
        History Society if they have anyone researching this name.

        Hope this helps.

        David